Easy and Safe to Have Packages Delivered here?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Easy and Safe to Have Packages Delivered here?

Postby pwr144 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:20 am

I remember sending a friend some things a couple of years ago and they tormented her for money when she went to pick them up. Finally, she told them to "stick it" and left.

Apparently they had overestimated her bribe threshold.

I just want to have a small electronic device sent here. Can do?

iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Easy and Safe to Have Packages Delivered here?

Postby iron butterfly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 am

gone
Last edited by iron butterfly on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 pm

I'd recommend against sending anything valuable or anything electronic. Packages not infrequently go missing and even if it does arrive it can be an arduous and expensive hassle to recover it from customs if the agents decide to tax the contents.
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:24 pm

iron butterfly wrote:I have had no problems with USPS. I have had 2 cameras tripod blank tapes microphones batteries amplifiers, no problems. There is sometimes an import tax, 100 soles per 100 dollars of value. One time I had a problem with a camera, they thought I had under valued it. I sat down for about a half hour while he checked it out and came back and said all is ok.

Is there a specific location to have it sent to? Does USPS handle the address and notification of arrival?

I guess they can't tax it unless they "handle" it... :)
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm

I have packages sent to me in Pucallpa, they always get here. I have my family send me all sorts of 'stuff' including electronics such as hard drives, cpus, video cards, xbox and wii games . I have been forced to pay a few tips at the post office here, 50 soles was the most. Nothing has ever gone missing.

Last package had videos games, medicine and some documents. Took 7 days to get here from Seattle. I order online, ship to my family and have them send them to me here. I usually have them take the items out of the original packaging before sending them to me. Seems like if the package small and the declared value is less than $100 you most likely will not have any issues.

I know I can get xbox and wii copies here for dirt cheap, but I have not had my systems modded yet.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Just make sure your name is spelled correctly and completely. To pick up your package in Aduanas ( which is in Lince, just of Av. Arequipa ) you need that the package is addressed to you. ( So if your name is David, but everybody calls you Dave, it should be addressed to David ). If the value is lower than $100, there are no taxes. Try to have your receipts available
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 am

deleted
Last edited by iron butterfly on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the help, guys

So it should be addressed to a specific post office?

How would we know which one it ended up at unless we did that?

How about 'C/O' a post office?

Are p.o. boxes available here?
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:50 pm

I have rented a box with Serpost, service was good. Personally I like having my family send packages directly to my house here. I would not recommend trying to send it to a Serpost office, I am sure madness would ensue.

They deliver to my house whenever we have mail, the guy comes by on his motorcycle.

More information here:
http://www.serpost.com.pe/
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:26 pm

scott wrote:I have rented a box with Serpost, service was good. Personally I like having my family send packages directly to my house here. I would not recommend trying to send it to a Serpost office, I am sure madness would ensue.

They deliver to my house whenever we have mail, the guy comes by on his motorcycle.

More information here:
http://www.serpost.com.pe/

:...madness would ensue"

And not in a good way, I assume. :)
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 pm

In our district, there are 9 post office locations, spread out over about 40km. I do not think any of the provinces have zip/postal codes thus my 'madness would ensue' comment, LOL!

It always amazes me that my packages make it to my house. I emailed all my family member my address EXACTLY as it should be on the package and have them print it out instead of writing it and tape it to the package, so far, so good!

General delivery in Peru does not seem like a good idea to me, if that is even possible.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 am

I have had a 50/50 delivery rate of packages sent to me from England and the USA via normal post. I would not trust SerPost if my life depended on it.

I have had 90% success rate with people like TNT, FedEx and the like, but pay out the wazoo at Aduanas.

There was a recent post on the expat peru list serve email that showed irregularity with SerPost is a common problem.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:18 am

Almost 4 years, about 70 packages... 90% sent using USPS to Peru, none lost or damaged, paid taxes/tips on 4 of them.

I have used UPS, DHL and FEDEX a few times, paid taxes on each package, even those with a value of less than $100. Never had any go missing.

In 9 years we were out of Peru, we sent an average of 5 packages a year to family here, all USPS, not one issue. Maybe I am just lucky?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 am

The story from the Good Shephard Church is very different than yours. They were documenting that they have gone some months without mail, then sometimes it comes in batches and other times it never came at all. My arrival rate is 50/50. And there was another poster on the expat list that claims she has had problems receiving packages too.

The thing is, I think we have to look at the overall performance averaged, and not the performance of a few people who have had luck to provide a complete picture to people.

For everyone here that has said they have had no problem, there is another who has had loads of problems. To me, that suggests a gamble is pretty evident when using Serpost.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:37 am

scott wrote:... 90% sent using USPS to Peru, none lost or damaged, paid taxes/tips on 4 of them.

I have used UPS, DHL and FEDEX a few times, paid taxes on each package, even those with a value of less than $100. Never had any go missing.

Scott, do you have an explanation why using USPS only was paid taxes in 4 out of 63 (90% of 70) ? and on the other hand sending through UPS, DHL and FEDEX always paid taxes ??
Last edited by antonio on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 am

I can tell you about my 1 and only experience receiving a package. Up front, I will point out that it did arrive so here is what happened:

I received a little card in the mail at my dpto to go to Serpost and pick up a package that arrived. This came on a Friday afternoon so on Monday I went to their office to retrieve my package. This happened 1.5 years ago, so I'll strain my memory a bit.

I walked into the office in Surco (I think it was) and right by the door there is a person you have to talk to and get some paper or something. The room wasn't that large, has several doors on the left and had two rows of about 5 or 6 chairs if I recall correctly. There were 3 other people sitting down when I got there. The girl told me to go to one of the doors and present the paper. That person told me to go to the next door and present some other paper and then told me to sit down and wait. So I waited well over an hour, probably 90 minutes, and then got called to the front window where the guy opens your package. Again, there were only 3 other customers in the building. So he opens the package and I had 2 baseball hats, a shirt, and a couple books that my dad had sent me. He proceeds to indicate the value of the items and his amounts were so DAMN high that I'm glad there was nothing else in there. Luckily the amount was under $100 as well it should be. Although the books have the prices on them, he was marking down triple the price which I pointed out to him. So after this little bit of fun, he gives me another piece of paper and tells me they will call my number when the package is ready. So they call my number 30 minutes later and the guy proceeds to tell me that I am late in picking up my package b/c I didn't come within the 15 days or whatever the time limit is. Of course the little piece of paper arrived late so I had to pay the stupid ~10 sol tax which I went to another one of the little doors to do and then back to the other door to get my package. I think I spent over 2 hours in there and there were very few people. It is a big freaking joke.

After this ONE experience, I've never received a package nor ordered anything again and am quite happy not going to SERPOST. I did lodge a complaint as well. I'd rather eat cebiche de cuy than go to the post office here.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 am

Scott, do you have an explanation why using USPS only was paid taxes in 4 out of 63 (90% of 70) ? and on the other hand sending through UPS, DHL and FEDEX always paid taxes ??

You would have to ask Aduanas, but I am guessing that all UPS, FEDEX and DHL shipments have to clear customs and not all USPS shipments are flagged for clearance. 2 of the 4 were declared over $100 so it was expected.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:31 am

Another issue with UPS FedEx TNT is that they include their shipping charges in the aduanas value, so considering most packages are expensive to ship, you reach your $100 limit rather quickly.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 pm

I had something delivered by DHL. They are a bit more expensive but the service is excellent and fast.
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 pm

deleted
Last edited by iron butterfly on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:26 pm

From my experience I have notice something similar to the above comments. Dealing with a person who works at a governmental office is a sort of “let’s see what is going to happen today”. You never know how it is going to be until the end of the action. It is more like if I am lucky I will get a good result and viceversa.

But it depends on:

* How is the actual mood of the employee
* How nice “simpatico” you are for the person who is in front of you
* If you have a relax attitude instead of a stressed attitude.
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 pm

"Simpatico" and relaxed. Good observation. Could that be the reason why the same people seem to have more than their fair share of problems with Serpost and most other services and businesses they come in contact with?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Yea, I hear the raskals at the Good Shephard are hell on wheels.

Puhleeze.
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wine Lover » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm

I ordered a bottle of Liqueur from Austria which cost 20 euros + 20 euros postage.
I had to go to los olivos and pay $40US tax to pick it up.
I wont go into details but the process took about 1.5 hours

I have purchased books (paperbacks) of eBay in the US recently which have been delivered by Serpost straight to my door.

*NB*- If you are married to a Peruvian, use their name on all correspondence.
Regis033178

Postby Regis033178 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I have a question in regards to receiving packages from the US. My mom just sent two boxes of food items, (pancake mix, olive oil, different food items in general) from the US adrressed to me here in Jauja, Junin. I have checked the USPS tracking number and the packages have arrived and now are in Peru Customs. How long should it take for me to receive these packages here in Jauja, Junin from Lima and do they come via area or terreste? Also will I have problems with being taxed for these items? All the items in the two boxes are food items and candies for my kids.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Like previously mentioned in the thread you will be notified by Serpost to go pick up your package. It took about 5 days for my packages to clear, not sure if anyone has more info on this part of the process. My packages that went through clearance usually took 14-21 days instead of the normal 7-10 days.

If the value is under $100, you should not have to pay anything.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:10 pm

I just rec'd a package from Serpost. A 7 quart crock pot, of all things, from my mother. A very large and heavy package. Delivered directly to my door. It had been opened, inspected and resealed with 'serpost' tape, so I would know they had done it.

I almost fainted.
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:33 pm

bye bye
Last edited by iron butterfly on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:19 am

I think things are happening to improve the service. I have deliveries from Sirpost La Molina at least once a month and never had a problem. Nothing is ever opened and in fact the last package only had my name and distict. No address, but it still arrived and I gave my postman his usual 5 soles tip. We always get a card for Christmas and national events, which of course requires a small tip but they even send me larger packages to the house.
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:35 am

Where is the office in La Molina?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register