counterfeit soles

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

counterfeit soles

Postby meggyrosey » Sun May 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this has ever happened to anyone else but on Friday night I took out money from a Scotiabank ATM in the Marriott hotel. I came to find out later that night that almost all of the bills were fake. Has this ever happened to anyone? What am I supposed to do? This Scotia branch isn't open on the weekends. I went to check yesterday...

either way be careful...i was under the impression when you take money out of an ATM that the bills should be okay...

Kelly

Re: counterfeit soles

Postby Kelly » Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Wow.. that is bad news. Not sure what you can do about it now. :(
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 pm

If you get no joy from the bank I would speak to the manager of the Hotel. I know i's not their responsibility but they may help in order not to harm their reputation. "ATM in the Marriott"
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sun May 16, 2010 2:14 pm

i know interbank mark their notes so they can tell if they come from their cash machines as they will try and say the notes never came from their bank so look at the notes to see if they are marked /stamped
cwcdavid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cwcdavid » Sun May 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Have had a problem in the past with Scotia ATM in Metro retaining my foreign card and the local branch of Scotia said the ATM was not connected to their branch but some service company. I suspect you will have to contact the phone number on the machine itself.

My immediate guess-suspicion is the guys who fill the ATM doing a switch which would suggest a payoff to Marriott staff so wonder how much a local complaint will help.

Is Marriott a franchise name or a US owned hotel?

Assuming the latter I would be inclined to email US customer service and ask their advice hoping they would get involved.

Meanwhile I took 900 S./ from a Scotia machine yesterday. Queue at BCP was too long. ... How could you tell they were fake?

And so now we have bad stories about BCP and Scotia ATMs ... both are free from extra fee for my foreign card. So you only pay what the foreign bank charges.
Banco Continental add a huge rip off 13 S./ to the amount the machine actually gives you.
Interbank add around 5 S./ as I last remember.
Are there any others that don't add an extra charge?
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun May 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Meanwhile I took 900 S./ from a Scotia machine yesterday. Queue at BCP was too long. ... How could you tell they were fake?

While I can't help with the OP problem, I can offer this link. It is everything you want to know about Peruvian currency and more. Eventually you will be able to tell the difference quite easily, but until then, this is a nice crash course.

http://www.bcrp.gob.pe/billetes-y-monedas.html
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 am

In my experience, banks will fight you. I am so sorry this happened to you. There are things you can do. The Automatic teller is either owned by the bank or by a third party contractor. I suggest you file a compliant right away with the bank, the hotel and the police if you have not done so already.

Further, if you wish to persue the matter, you can file complaints with the following agencies. (you can complain about the Bank, the hotel and if applicable, the agency who owns the ATM and let the authorities figure out who is responsible)

INDECOPI: http://www.indecopi.gob.pe/0/home.aspx?PFL=0&ARE=0
A government consumer protection agency

ASPEC: http://www.aspec.org.pe/
I believe them to be a ONG consumer organization.

And if you really want to push it, give the hotel some bad publicity if they do not protect their guests, you can file a complaint with IPERU, the Peruvian tourism board though they will not do anything, they will make a public record of the incedent at the hotel that travel agents around the world can review. http://www.peru.info/en/iperu-offices-o ... ip4-2-proc
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:41 am

If you go to the police, they will confiscate your fake notes and will give you a receipt. Banks will do the same. You will not get your money back.

Also be aware of fake 5 SOLES COINS.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

All banks mark their notes in invisible ink so they can tell if it came from their ATMs. In theory, you just have to walk into any ScotiaBank, show them the note (just walk up to the counter, you don't even have to wait in line), they'll verify it's theirs and they'll immediately give you new bills no questions asked. The one time I've had to do this (the bank was BCP) this was exactly what happened.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register