Brown Sugar in Lima?

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brown Sugar in Lima?

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:14 pm

I was told by a Peruvian that American style brown sugar is available here in Lima but I can't find it. I would like to use it in making chocolate chip cookies ect, anyone every seen it? I checked a market in Megdelana which said they used to carry it but now said I should check Wong. Does anyoen know what to call it, azucar rubia just won't do!

Ps, if your not from the States... I am not talking about brown colored sugar, it is a type of sugar that kind of looks like wet sand, the best I can describe it.

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Brown Sugar in Lima?

Postby americorps » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm

This post pops up from time to time and everyone runs in to tell you to buy azugar rubio..but that is NOT brown sugar, that is simply unbleached sugar.

I have seen brown sugar from time to time at the Wong on Ovalo Gutierrez and the Vivanda and Pardo, but not on a regular basis.

I have, however, found molasses at several markets and mix a little of that with azucar rubio, you have the same thing.

How to Make Brown Sugar

1 cup granulated cane sugar

1 Tablespoon unsulfured molasses

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the sugar and molasses. It’s that easy. There’s a part in this process where the molasses is super gunky and clumpy. You’ll think to yourself: Joy, you were wrong… this is coming out all wrong. Don’t worry. keep mixing it all together. It will even itself out. Work it until completely incorporated and no big molasses globs remain. For dark brown sugar, add another tablespoon of molasses. Use as you would in your favorite cake and cookie recipes. Store in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag with the air pressed out. Dang that’s easy!

http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2010/08 ... own-sugar/
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks, I knew I would find the answer here :) I am very grateful for the receipe, I had no idea you could make it! If I can't find it I will give it a try.
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Just out of curiosity, when you use azucar rubia instead of brown sugar, how different are the resulting cookies?

Fausto
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:26 pm

There is very little difference between bleached and unbleached sugar. Some say the brown colored sugar is more healthy because it contains more vitamins and minerals, which is true, but only in trace amounts. it is also processed less. it is from Cane and not beets and is often called whole cane sugar, unrefined sugar.

There is debate about the flavor, some say they are the same while others say there is a slightly more carmelized flavor with the brown sugar.

I used to enter baking contests and have worked with both, especially when I was entering an organic baking contest because while not all dark sugars are organic, many are.

I feel that if there is a difference between the two for cooking, it is minimal.

And for the record, bleached and unbleached is often referred to, but is a misnomer, sugar is naturally white and no bleaching is required in the process.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:34 pm

As far as the difference in how the cookie turns out, with out the "American Brown Sugar" I used once azucar rubio and the cookies tasted decent but the texture was way off, they were really flat. If you ever tried the cookies in Larco Mar, I would say they turn our somethign like that without the "real" brown sugar that American recipies call for.
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:54 pm

What about using chancaca in place of brown sugar?
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:08 pm

This is from Wikipedia:

Brown sugar can be made at home by mixing white granulated sugar with molasses, using one tablespoon of molasses for every cup of white sugar (one-sixteenth or 6.25% of the total volume). Thorough blending will yield dark brown sugar; for light brown sugar, between one and two teaspoons of molasses per cup should be used instead. It is, however, simpler to substitute molasses for an equal portion of white sugar while cooking, without mixing them separately.

When a recipe calls for "brown sugar" it is usually referring to light brown sugar; dark brown sugar should be used only when specified.[citation needed] This is relevant primarily when baking recipes sensitive to moisture and density (such as cakes), because of the difference in moisture content between the two types. In other applications, substituting dark brown sugar over light brown will yield a deeper flavor with more caramel, much like adding molasses would do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

Even though Wiki is not the most reliable of sources, it however brings out some points to consider so that you can get your perfect cookie. Let us know the outcome

Fausto
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Americorps is right (as usual). The brown sugar we all know from home is a light brown sugar like you buy here mixed with a bit of molasses. With practice I am sure you can get the flavor right
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 am

In Australia

Unbleached = Raw Sugar
sticky brown sugar = brown sugar :)
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 pm

I had a problem making Chocolate Chip Cookies when I lived in Miraflores...I could never get the dough right using the Correct Brown Sugar and everything...now I live in Surco and i'm getting much better results. I think it has a lot to do with the humidity in the air...try using some extra baking soda in the recipe
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm

meggyrosey wrote:I had a problem making Chocolate Chip Cookies when I lived in Miraflores...I could never get the dough right using the Correct Brown Sugar and everything...now I live in Surco and i'm getting much better results. I think it has a lot to do with the humidity in the air...try using some extra baking soda in the recipe

I think it's more likely to have something to do with the old saying. Practise makes perfect :lol:
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:32 pm

I suppose it is a good thing I live in Surco then! I am going to find some molases and try to make a batch for Christmas, anyone know where I can find molases (to make brn sugar) near Surco?
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
mlbmerrill

Postby mlbmerrill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:15 pm

You can buy it under the name of Panela in the health food section of some major grocery stores, such as Wong. I have also found it at Organic, health food type tiendas and at at least one organic saturday market in LaMolina.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register