Craft beers in Lima??

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Floridave

Craft beers in Lima??

Postby Floridave » Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Hello all,

I´ve been to Lima many times, and am currently here for about another week. What I am missing most about America is craft beers. Microbrewed beers like a hoppy IPA, a dark stout, a complex and chewy Old Ale. Things like that.

I am fascinated that in a city with every kind of mixed liquor drink you could ever want, there is absolutely no beer for sale anywhere except for fizzy yellow macrobrews.

I do not have much hope that someone will know of a place where I can find a decent selection, but I thought I would give this site a shot. Also, I am very curious to know why there are no bars that sell microbrews? Surely the "gringo" population alone would be enough to keep such a place in good profits, and there must be some adventurous Peruvians who would like to branch out as well.

I have also heard of a place in Trujillo called "Hops", does anyone know about this? Do they really have good beers?

markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Craft beers in Lima??

Postby markr » Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 am

You will find an excellent selection of beers here www.chez-philippe.net in San Isidro but be prepared to take out a bank loan if you want to get even the slightest bit tipsy. I have to say though it's a nice treat from time to time.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 am

There are no microbreweries here. I've heard that there is one downtown but it is just pure here-say. The closest place for that is probably Texas or Florida but maybe Argentina or Chile have some.

Chez Phillipe has a great selection of imported beers and they are definitely expensive.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 2:11 pm

markr wrote:You will find an excellent selection of beers here http://www.chez-philippe.net in San Isidro but be prepared to take out a bank loan if you want to get even the slightest bit tipsy. I have to say though it's a nice treat from time to time.

Sure it is.

http://www.chez-philippe.net/gl_cerv/
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amylimena » Wed May 25, 2011 12:37 pm

The Vivanda on Libertadores in San Isidro (and possibly other Vivandas too) has started selling some of the imported beers that Chez Phillipe sells. They don't have them in the beer section but rather on the tables of imported foods that are near the cheese and ham counter. They are about half the price as in Chez Phillipe but still expensive!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 pm

amylimena wrote:The Vivanda on Libertadores in San Isidro (and possibly other Vivandas too) has started selling some of the imported beers that Chez Phillipe sells. They don't have them in the beer section but rather on the tables of imported foods that are near the cheese and ham counter. They are about half the price as in Chez Phillipe but still expensive!

How much do they cost?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu May 26, 2011 11:45 am

Depends on the beer.
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amylimena » Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm

In Vivanda it was about 8 to 15 soles for a 625 ml bottle...like sbaustin says it depends on the beer.
Opus Aldonis

Postby Opus Aldonis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Hello everyone:

I am a Peruvian Expat living in Switzerland and coming back to Peru in some months. Bored of the monotone Peruvian lager beer market, we have decided to open in Lima an Ales-only brewery. My father is a very experienced brewmaster. He's currently producing:
Pale ale, Victorian Porter, Imperial Stout, Golden beer and Wheat beer (light and dark) in 350mml bottler or 30 and 50L kegs.
We are looking for thirsty customers!
Anyone interested?
Please contact Hugo Aldon (Spanish, very little French and very crude English!) at:

+51 1 253 60 42  
+51 99 704 11 51
hugo@cerveceria-aldon.com
http://www.cerveceria-aldon.com
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Floridave wrote: Also, I am very curious to know why there are no bars that sell microbrews? Surely the "gringo" population alone would be enough to keep such a place in good profits, and there must be some adventurous Peruvians who would like to branch out as well.

Peruvians love their Christal, Pilsen Callao and Cuzqueña.
There are several microbreweries in La Selva but they produce very little.

Surviving from the gringo population won't be possible. There are some bars that sell foreign beer but unfortunately they are too expensive for most gringos living in Peru.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 pm

What price will you be charging for a bottle of beer?
The prices in the supermarkets let alone the bars put quality European beers out of reach of most people.
If you drink European beers in the bars of Miraflores, you'd need to take out a mortgage if you wanted to get drunk.
Opus Aldonis

Postby Opus Aldonis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:06 am

@patman
Totally agree with you, once I found Guinness in a restaurant and they were asking around 30 soles for a pint!
We are ale fans in my family but importing beer is a very expensive deal, that's the reason why we started brewing.

Our current prices are:

Bottle (Cornelius 20L) [Keg 50L]

Golden+Pale Ale: 6 s/. (115 s/.) [265 s/.)
Victorian porter+Imperial Stout: 6.5 s/. (125 s/.) [285 s/.]
Wheat beer-dark & light: 7 s/. (130 s/.) [295 s/.]
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:46 am

There is a craft beer brewery in Lima...very small but outside the norm of cusquena ect...here are their facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/MICEBICHELA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cerveza-Artesanal-De-Tomás-LIMA-PERU/337363640553?ref=stream
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:08 am

There are currently a few of these starting up in Peru. I actually think in the next 5 to 10 years, there is going to be a large growth in this market. So far, nothing available in grocery stores, just bars.

Cañas y Tapas in Miraflores offers a few artesenal beers. Barbarian is a new microbrew that has come out, offering a brown ale, IPA, red and porter. All pretty good, a bit pricy. They also sometimes have Sierra Andina, a microbrew from Huaraz, great beer.

Chez Phillippe also offers some of the barbarian beers, as well as Treffe, a german pub by benavides.

In Cusco, the Nortons pub in the plaza is also offering their own craft beer, a Pale Ale, Brown Ale and Porter as well, fantastic stuff.

It´s slowly coming, but I think there will be some pretty good beer selections in Lima in the years to come.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Sierra Andina is a great brewer from Huaraz as was mentioned. I have found it at Burrito Bar in Barranco and at the new Gaston burger place Papacho's. I think there are a few other places in Lima that started stocking it. Maybe Houlihan's in Miraflroes.
Drempc

Postby Drempc » Mon May 06, 2013 1:56 pm

As a home brewer and craft brew lover it has always bugged me when I would go to visit my family in Peru and not be able to enjoy beer of quality and craft.
The Pilsen, Cristal and Cusqueña that are offered were ok to have one or two on a hot day but never really satisfied my craving for something really delicious.

Over the last two years traveling to Peru I have seen little rays of hope. In the Barranco market place I met an American selling beers in a bottle that I had never seen before. There were beers from "Sierra Andina Brewery" made in the mountains of Huaraz, Peru by an American that moved there with his family. Also around the same time I tried a hoppy red ale from "Barbarian" made in La Molina in Lima from a small nano brewery that popped up Nov 2011 by a few twenty somethings that were tired with the same ol beer.

This year seems to be the year that craft beer hits Peru by storm. I have seen that there is a new Brewery/ Brew Pub opening up in the Bohemian district of Barranco - Lima called "Barranco Beer Company" and it looks like it's going to be pretty big.

https://www.facebook.com/BarrancoBeerCompany

It says its opening up June 2013 so this makes me very excited! No more watered down, flavorless beers. Can't wait to get back to Peru now.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 am

Where you can find barbarian craft beer
https://www.facebook.com/Cerveceria.Barbarian/info
Cañas y Tapas: Av. General Borgoño 149, Miraflores
- Chez Philippe: Av. 2 de Mayo 748, San Isidro
- Astrid & Gastón: Ca. Cantuarias 175, Miraflores
- Hensley: Av. Primavera 1377, Surco
- Lima Rugby Restobar: Ca. San Martin 417, Miraflores
- American Embassy: Ca. Schell 615, Miraflores
- Central Restaurante: Ca. Santa Isabel 376, Miraflores

Where You can find Sierra andina craft beer
http://www.sierraandina.com/Sierra_Andi ... o_Buy.html

Where You can find Don Tomas craft beer
http://es-es.facebook.com/pages/Cerveza ... 7363640553
brianwlackey

Postby brianwlackey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey fellow craft beer lovers,

I just arrived in Lima (Miraflores) last tuesday and will be living here for the next 8 weeks or so doing tuberculosis research up at Cayetano University. I'm enjoying living here so far, but really miss the craft beer scene in the US (I'm from Austin, TX - lots of good local brews), especially a good IPA (I'd pay like $10 for a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA right now). I saw Barranco Brewing Co. will be opening up hopefully in a few weeks and would love to try that out and meet anyone else living here who enjoys a good beer.

I'm looking to meet new people here, but don't speak much Spanish (yet). I don't have a local phone # yet, but shoot me an email at brianwlackey@gmail.com if you'd be interested in grabbing a beer or something!

Gracias,

Brian Lackey
@brianwlackey
http://brianlackey.me
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:53 pm

I have no idea what microbrews are but someone mentioned Guiness here...

Come on! After you have tried the cuzquena negra how can you ever want Guiness?

And dont get me started on the awful lightweight thing that is sold in bars in the US. How can they call that a beer. At least Guiness is a real beer.

Unfortunately where I live it is close to impossible to get a cuzquena negra :cry:
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Old Pub in Miraflores, Calle de las pizzas has Guiness Stout on tap tastes freaking incredible while enjoying a nice plate of hot wings!

MGD can be had in Tottus around town if you are into MGD.

I havent seen any micro brew places anywhere on my ventures around town. I would bet if you put it in a tourist area it might work.

Cheers Then,
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi there, I'm currently brewing and selling bottle artesanal style beers in Miraflores. TeachBeer, cerveza Artesanal. TeachBeer is dedicated to the art of teaching the world about drinking great beer.
The current batch is similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I'm selling them for 8/15 soles a bottle. tracyrteach@gmail.com.
I became tired of paying 20-25 soles for Chimay and Duvel, so I've become a brewer. There is a growing demand for good craft beer. I'd like to expand in the next six months for anyone interested.

Another place known as "De Tomas" is housed in a cevicheria/cervezeria called "Mi Cebi-Chela". There is a variety of beers, all from kegs. Pretty good, all and all. The owner also does mini-courses on homebrewing about once every six weeks.

The US has over 2400 craft breweries
Argentina 600
Chile 30
Peru-6

There is a growing trend here to drink better beer. Barbarian is a local company selling kegs and bottles to restaurants and bars. In Huarez there is Cerveza Artesanal de Huarez and Sierra Andina, which they are now selling in Lima. If anyone has frequented Canas y Tapas in Miraflores on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you will see the place crowded with people drinking excellent imported beers and some local ones, too.
Send me an email and help support a local brewer.
PeruBeer

Postby PeruBeer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:55 am

Current count I have done (June 6th 2015) = 47 different micro/craft breweries in Peru.
This is only the beginning.

Teach Beer
Barranco Beer Company
Cerveza Melkim
Nuevo Mundo Cervecería
Cerveza Sumaq Artesanal
Cervecería Tío Luque
Cerveceria del Valle
Sierra Andina Brewing Company
Cerveza Zenith
Cervecería Costumbres
Cervecería Planeta Bierra
Antigona Cerveza Artesanal
Cerveza Artesanal De Tomás Lima - Peru
Supay, cerveza artesanal del Cusco
Gran Logia Cervecera del Peru
Brewpub Wicks
Cerveza 7 Vidas
Cervecería Maddok
LunaHuaná-Peru cerveza artesanal
Magdalena
La Micro Cerveceria
Cerveza Cumbres
SAQRA cerveza artesanal
El Viejo Keller Cerveceria
Hops Lima
Cervecería INVICTUS
Hidromiel Ragnarok & Cerveza Horus
Cerveza Kapún
Amarus Cervecería
LaPazCo - Cervezas Especiales
Cerveceria Anka
Campesina Cerveza Artesanal
Cerveza Artesanal Andes
Cerveceria Tayan Cerveceria
Cerveceria Takana Brew E.I.R.L.
Cerveceria Barbarian
Cerveza Amarilis
Moustache RestoBar
Dragonfly Hostels
Perkas Boer
Saint Sixtus
Cervecería Peruana
Cerveza Duff
Oveja Negra Cerveza Artesanal
Cerveza Nativa Peru
RSL Cervecería Insumos Accesorios
R&R Insumos Cerveceros
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:12 am

Another one: Oveja Negra
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oveja-Ne ... 4186031908

It is wonderful the variety of beer that is here now!

PeruBeer wrote:Current count I have done (June 6th 2015) = 47 different micro/craft breweries in Peru.
This is only the beginning.

Teach Beer
Barranco Beer Company
Cerveza Melkim
Nuevo Mundo Cervecería
Cerveza Sumaq Artesanal
Cervecería Tío Luque
Cerveceria del Valle
Sierra Andina Brewing Company
Cerveza Zenith
Cervecería Costumbres
Cervecería Planeta Bierra
Antigona Cerveza Artesanal
Cerveza Artesanal De Tomás Lima - Peru
Supay, cerveza artesanal del Cusco
Gran Logia Cervecera del Peru
Brewpub Wicks
Cerveza 7 Vidas
Cervecería Maddok
LunaHuaná-Peru cerveza artesanal
Magdalena
La Micro Cerveceria
Cerveza Cumbres
SAQRA cerveza artesanal
El Viejo Keller Cerveceria
Hops Lima
Cervecería INVICTUS
Hidromiel Ragnarok & Cerveza Horus
Cerveza Kapún
Amarus Cervecería
LaPazCo - Cervezas Especiales
Cerveceria Anka
Campesina Cerveza Artesanal
Cerveza Artesanal Andes
Cerveceria Tayan Cerveceria
Cerveceria Takana Brew E.I.R.L.
Cerveceria Barbarian
Cerveza Amarilis
Moustache RestoBar
Dragonfly Hostels
Perkas Boer
Saint Sixtus
Cervecería Peruana
Cerveza Duff
Oveja Negra Cerveza Artesanal
Cerveza Nativa Peru
RSL Cervecería Insumos Accesorios
R&R Insumos Cerveceros
base camp

Postby base camp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Amazing how they have sprung up like mushrooms after a summer rain.
Do any of the breweries sell 64 oz. growlers that you can fill up for later consumption?
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register