Where to buy grass fed beef, lamb, free range chicken??

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

DAF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Where to buy grass fed beef, lamb, free range chicken??

Postby DAF » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:19 am

I'm looking for souces of organic grass fed beef and lamb, free range organic chicken and eggs? So far the miraflores and surquillo bioferias don't have any meats but i'm not sure if La Molina's bioferia carries grass fed free range meats, anybody have a clue?

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where to buy grass fed beef, lamb, free range chicken??

Postby caliguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 pm

i've seen plenty of farms outside of Lima, and the only thing I saw cows and sheep eating was grass. (no corn) also, the chicken ranches are really sprawled out on huge properties, but dont know if they are free range. if you are looking for organic, Peru has to be close as you can get naturally :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:24 pm

La Universidad Agraria la molina sell organic products You can ask to them. The name is forraje para alimentar ganado.
http://www.lamolina.edu.pe/cventas/prod ... arnes.html
http://www.lamolina.edu.pe/cventas/ubicanos.html
DAF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DAF » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:28 am

Thanks again victmanu I was actually thinking about going to la molina's store one of these days, it seems we both are familiar with the same sources haha. Forraje para alimentar ganado sounds more like the diet rather than a free range animal, i'm looking for animales libres alimentado del pastoreo. I'l probably end up dropping by their anyway.

Cheers
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:50 am

DAF wrote:I'm looking for souces of organic grass fed beef and lamb, free range organic chicken and eggs?

I think that most meat sold in Peru is organic.
In Europe the meat sold looks nicer and looks more red but that's because all the hormones and other products they inject and put in the animals food so the meat looks nicer.

Meat sold in Peru in doesn't look nice but it tastes natural.
DAF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DAF » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah I just got some grass fed lamb meat raised in cerro de pasco for 14 soles! el kg. in Santa Anita Mercado Mayorista, when converted into USD that's $3 a pound! You really can't go wrong here and i'm pretty sure it's organic. The organic grass fed lamb at la molina university is selling for 40 soles a kg. The price is just a steal. Perhaps I can organize a larger purchase and save even more on grass fed meat if anyone's interested? Pig is 11 soles el kg and beef is 20.
mfperu

Postby mfperu » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:53 pm

I think a lot of people assume Peru is organic. I thought that when I first came here. I found that to be very untrue for most places. From a lot of reading and talking to people Peru has a lot of pesticides from China, cheap toxic pesticides that are outlawed in other countries. I thought maybe in the jungle there would be organics. They even have pesticides there, and other food is shipped in with pesticides. You need to talk with many people there is a tremendous amount of lying, but you can start to find reliable sources and patch together information. They can even add pesticides to the large 50 kg bags of grains. In Lima I've found supposedly organic chicken, eggs, and yogurt at the biofiera, but I felt bad after eating it, worse than I feel eating regular hormone and pesticide chicken in the states, something I almost never do anymore. I've been eating almost totally organic for almost 15 years with almost no chemicals, preservatives, additives, etc. so I really feel poorly when I eat them. When I was eating the chicken, eggs, and yogurt in Peru I was feeling sick any my complexion started to look horrible with clogged pores and blotches. With all due respect it seems like many, many people in Lima have poor complexions, the same way mine was starting to look. I repeatedly tried this, and again, the remainder of my diet is all organic , unprocessed and similar so it seems like a good test, but when I eat the "organic" chicken, eggs, and yogurt from the bioferia (Saturday Parque Reducto 2, Sunday Mercado Uno), or even one of those products, I don't feel well and my complexion gets bad. When I stop eating them I feel better and my complexion clears. I can only infer after doing this many, many times there's something in those foods causing that. I'm curious if what's in those foods is also what's causing the poor complexions with most people in Lima. That would be unfortunate as over time it could very possibly be causing other health problems as well.
dez
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby dez » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:09 pm

I always had a feeling the food in Peru was not exactly Kosher let alone healthy. I wonder how many cancer cells I have developed in 7 years. Makes me shudder.
Thanks for the post
mfperu

Postby mfperu » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:46 pm

I just went to La Universidad Agraria La Molina and from my understanding they don't have organic chicken, and for sure they don't have organic turkey, eggs, or yogurt. I didn't ask about the beef (although I did see organic beef at the Wongs at Ovalo Gutierrez). The man behind the counter at La Molina said the poultry was organic, but that's not usually an indicator of if it's organic or not. The sign said "ecologico", which I've heard is organic in Peru but most U.S. websites say it's not organic. I went to check on campus and went to the place they work with poultry. I had a conversation with the woman there and she sounded clear and honest and said it was not organic. I was going to try the ecologico chicken but the man behind the counter seemed apathetic and disinterested and was changing the story about if they had ecologico chicken or not and was of almost no help. A woman who also worked there then jumped in, I believe saying they did have it, and the guy finally went to get some poultry but then said it wasn't ecological. Long story short it wasn't a good experience, I didn't buy anything, and I don't think I'll be returning. A customer said they sometimes have organic produce, though not much, some tomatoes and a few things, but they had none when I was there.

I also passed some cows in the university area in a mud, probably more feces then mud by the smell of it, squared off, roofed in, relatively smallish size area with no vegetation (not real small but not big). The cows looked sickly and had things dripping from their eyes and noses. I wouldn't dream of eating yogurt from them. I don't know if they were dairy or beef cows, or perhaps a pen of sick cows.

And I've heard this from enough people to assume it's true but it sounds like Lima dumps raw sewage into the ocean (that's 10 million people). I've been weary of eating fish here. Some people who work in the fish markets have said they fish much further out, but again I'd need proof or I'd need to hear it from a person who has a history of being honest, knowledgeable, and not financially tied the situation. So I don't have proof they fish further out and I don't know how far out they would need to fish to make a difference. I did find a guy who worked in a large, expensive, supermarket chain, who seemed like a manager, was doing things in the fish section, who seemed honest, talked with me for a while, and his answers were consistent. He told me some of the fish was from Chile and from the ocean (doesn't mean it's true but it's plausible). However, and I have no idea why, I felt bad after I ate that as well. I've tried many times adding the fish to my diet and didn't feel good after I ate it and I get the same blemishes on my face, and I feel better and the blemishes leave when I remove the fish. The only thing I can think of is some times they put preservatives on fish but don't say that (not necessarily at the market, it can be in other stages of processing). In the U.S. I can sort through all this if I don't feel well after I eat something and have found good quality places to buy from. I felt fine eating the fish in the rural areas I was in, although after hearing people say some of the fish from the rivers in Peru is high in mercury from logging and mining, I looked it up and found a scientific study confirming this. So I'm not eating the river fish. I have allergies, that's why I've spent so much time and energy on this and am writing about it in case anyone else needs the information. It's taken me over a year and a lot of work. I feel awesome when I'm eating organic whole foods but crummy right away when I eat preservatives, chemicals, pesticides, meat with hormones, etc.

Again, I don't say this to be hurtful, but descriptively, many people do not look well in Lima and people seem to age incredibly fast (along with other parts of Peru). I see very, very, few people glow with health and I don't think I've seen any older person who glows with health (unless their out by the Malecon and look like a tourist with a family, but that's just my opinion, that's not data). I realize there are many factors involved in this but the incredibly high rate of people who don't look healthy leads me to believe it's something systemic. And I felt very healthy while in the States and haven't felt well since shortly after I got here. I'm trying to figure out if I need to leave or not, but I'm not willing to stay if it compromises my health. If anyone finds a place with organic poultry raised in healthy conditions or if they know of ocean fish that are from safe sources without preservatives, please let me know.

My hope is also if there are unhealthy things in the food sources people can find out what they are so all people who live here can have the opportunity to be and stay healthy. (Also something for expats to think about if they've been here for a year or two or so and are feeling less energy, less optimistic, maybe getting sick more often, not feeling great, it could be the food taking it's toll physically.)

And I don't believe all the food has to be certified organic. I've been in rural areas and after I know people, through multiple conversations with different people confirming facts, I can piece together who has small farms without pesticides or naturally raised Gallina without hormones. And some of the natural organic produce is incredible. It's just difficult to get a wide variety of organic foods in the rural areas, and in Lima I can't find the meats. And if I'm in the city and I can't confirm the details and it's difficult to know what might be organic vs. deception or the belief it's almost all organic, which again is completely false. For example:

http://www.peruviantimes.com/19/toxic-p ... ons/23786/
Toxic Pesticides Still Allowed in New Agriculture Regulations
"The Ministry of Agriculture recently approved regulations that authorize the continued use of two types of chemical pesticides that the World Health Organization, WHO, has classified as “toxic” and “very toxic.”...

An added danger of these toxic substances is the poor information and training given on their use, and incidents of food poisoning —sometimes leading to death— are frequent in rural areas where pesticides are often stored in the same area as foodstuffs."
Jorge Moran

Postby Jorge Moran » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Good afternoon to all ,

My son needs to eat grass fed beef and organic fruit and produce if possible but the beef is a must , as of today , where do I find it in Lima ?

Thank you for your help !
Jorge Moran
carloso

Postby carloso » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Way late to this topic but might be useful to some.

I would not trust the meat at the markets or butcher shops to be grassfed at all. I even went to Osso and got blank looks from the attendants when I asked if the beef was grassfed and/or organic. BUT I finally found grassfed beef at Tottus while looking for other things. I forget the name of the brand but it's sealed and says it is from Oxapampa. I have been planning to ask if they will grind it for me on my next visit. Hope that helps.

Now if only I could find grassfed ghee.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Free range, grass fed, etc are all 'western' concepts that are protected by regulation in the western world. These regulations do not exist in Peru and therefor the label 'free range', 'grass fed' are not protected and can be used by anyone.

Organic is a protected cultivation concept. Since agri is important for Peru they are pretty strict in regards to the organic label. Peru has its own organic program and most organic producers are USDA-NOP end EU Organic certified. As far as I know the only trusted source for 'free range' and similar concepts is certified organic. Problem is that nearly 100% of Peru's organic agri products are exported.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Grass feed beef and lamb,

Let's remember than in Perú we have diferent regions across the country, that creates different scenarios for Cattle. Some of the red meet we are actually eating may be "organic", or is something close to be organic. Unfortunately, there is no label to identify it as "organic"

The cattle is fed with grass and sometimes with "chala" (it is corn plant before being "maize" )
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm

mfperu wrote:I think a lot of people assume Peru is organic. I thought that when I first came here. I found that to be very untrue for most places. From a lot of reading and talking to people Peru has a lot of pesticides from China, cheap toxic pesticides that are outlawed in other countries. I thought maybe in the jungle there would be organics.

Yeah exactly. Except some jungle fruits and maybe foods from very small farms the food is very toxic in Peru. Just lack of control from authorities, lack of laws and lack of knowledge among farmers makes the toxic mix. They want quick money and that means dumping as much magic powders onto the farms as they can.

People confuse tasty food with healthy food.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register