Best pollo a la brasa places to eat?

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Best pollo a la brasa places to eat?

Postby dh2012 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm

In 2.5 years in Peru I have not had a proper pollo a la brasa, can anyone reccomend the best place for P al la B in Miraflores, Barranco area.

Pardos?
Roky?

thanks!

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best pollo a la brasa places to eat?

Postby chi chi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm

The problem is that the quality of the food is rarely the same in Pollerias.

One day, the food can be good, the next bad.

Good chicken can be found but when it comes to the accompanying fries. You'll get more luck playing a game of pick up sticks with your buttcheeks than finding good papas fritas.

I can't recommended a good one in Miraflores.

The best pollerias I found so far in Lima are:

Mediterreano Chicken at Jockey Plaza in Surco.

The other one is in Villa El Salvador. Located opposite El Monumento Del Mujer. I forget the name of the place. They have the best papas fritas in Peru. They are the same type of fries like the ones in Belgium.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Sorry that this is outside your desired area, but I have had consistent good luck with Antojitos de la Nonna. Reasonable price, good service, great food every time.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/POLLOS-LO ... 54?fref=ts

There is one in Las Americas, one in Lince and one in San Borja
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 am

Likewise outside the desired area but well worth a try at any of their locations, and Chi Chi the fries are excellent.
http://www.hikari.com.pe/index.php#
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:22 am

cheers guys, looks like i will have to stop being lazy and travel further. Though i have seen a huge polla a la brasa place just open in Benevides in the heart of Mirafllores so maybe i will check that out before.

I def get the whole fries things they are one of those things people think are easy to cook but to get them just perfect takes a bit more skill, the amount of boring oil sodden fries i have had in Peru is shocking.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:53 pm

americorps wrote:Sorry that this is outside your desired area, but I have had consistent good luck with Antojitos de la Nonna. Reasonable price, good service, great food every time.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/POLLOS-LO ... 54?fref=ts

There is one in Las Americas, one in Lince and one in San Borja

the one in Las Americas (Balconcillo) is just a few steps from my place. It is good :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 pm

dh2012 wrote:cheers guys, looks like i will have to stop being lazy and travel further. Though i have seen a huge polla a la brasa place just open in Benevides in the heart of Mirafllores so maybe i will check that out before.

Restaurants in Miraflores have bad food, bad service and charge heavily inflated tourist rates. Simply, because the can get away with it. They cater for the tourists that only come once to Lima and don't come back again.

Restaurants outside Miraflores cater for regular customers that live locally. So, the have good service and excellent food as they want customers to come back.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am

In Miraflores (outside the touristic main streets) you will find excellent, diversified, and not that expensive restaurants. IMHO chicken in Peru is mostly an industrialized product grown with so many toxic medecines (it's very hard to find a real tasty farm chicken here in Lima as more of 90% of the market is owned by San Fernando and a few other companies).

In Miraflores have you tried Las Canastas (Ave Angamos near the huaca) or Caravana (Benavides)? In Panchita's you can find a sui generis pollo a la brasa (more expensive).

A nice tasty variation is pollo al horno.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Bobby wrote:In Miraflores have you tried Las Canastas.

I have only been to Las Canastas in Tarapoto. It was quite good and one of the cheapest pollerias in town.
LiveInPeru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby LiveInPeru » Fri May 17, 2013 2:01 pm

I like Pardo's. The chicken is well seasoned and the fries are cooked how I like them. They also have amazing salads - try the delicia. A portion of chicharron de pollo is also worth it.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Fri May 17, 2013 9:02 pm

THE VERY BEST IS DON TITOS IN SAN BORA, BEEN THERE 26 YEARS, GREAT CHICKEN GREAT FRIES, GREAT PAREADA, TRY THE GRILLED VEGGES, BEST WAITER , ROBERTO IS OLDER BUT YOU WILL LOVE HIM.
mendype

Postby mendype » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 am

Hey,

If you´re lucky to live in Lima or go to do some tourism, you can also have a look al some restaurants with chicken delivery service http://www.hellofood.com.pe/restaurants/index/cuisines/pollo/sort/relevance/order/asc. There you have Pappas, Rocky´s and some others. When you find the best, tell us to try!! :P I´m really hungry thinking about that chicken...mmm Image
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

It's difficult to recommend a polleria. In most places, quality goes up and down all the time.
One day you eat there and the food is excellent and when you come back a week later the food is awfull.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:08 pm

chi chi wrote:It's difficult to recommend a polleria. In most places, quality goes up and down all the time.
One day you eat there and the food is excellent and when you come back a week later the food is awfull.

I would always recomend Hikari and Pardo's, their quality is excellent and consistant.
Hikari in particular are located outside the main tourist areas and cater for local trade who stand in line, most days, to get a table.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

There is a new chain, Don Belisario and it outshines Pardos by a mile, good service and variety of flavors.

Here is a link to their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/donbelisario
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

americorps wrote:There is a new chain, Don Belisario and it outshines Pardos by a mile, good service and variety of flavors.

Here is a link to their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/donbelisario

What I like about Don Belisario is that they offer different accompaniments than the standard fare. There is the corn kernels and cheese, the potatoes and cheese, the camote fries.

Downside is that the portions are a little smaller than most places I have visited.
Anapanizo

Postby Anapanizo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Peru is a great destination in America Latina not only because its culture and history, but also for its food. This country has several typical dishes with incredible flavors and ingredients such as ceviche, papa a la huancaina and pollo a la brasa (my favorite). I share with you an article that shows why pollo a la brasa is so delicious: https://perubybus.com/eating/pollo-a-la ... t-chicken/
I will strongly recommend to eat this dish in Don Tito, Pardo's and La Panka.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register