NY style Pizza

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

NY style Pizza

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 am

Anyone know of any places in LIMA that serve NY style Pizza. Prefer a place not on Pizza street. My wife was watching sex and the city and they were eating some pizza and now she's got "antojos" for some!

Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: NY style Pizza

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue May 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Gaston's Italian place in Miraflores on La Paz / 28 de Julio has the only pizza resembling New York using the appropriate mozerella and crust texture that I have personally tried in Lima. It's not 100% accurate but about as good as I've found.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue May 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi
Do you know if they sell the pizza by the slice?
Do you know the name of the restaurant?
Thank you
Bobby :D
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 pm

can you enlighten us what is exactly "NY Pizza"??

the other day there was a "NY fair" here and they sold pizza but the line was long and couldnt get it. However I recognized the smell as one I felt when I went to NY. Is it the cheese??
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 am

Hitoruna, go watch Sex and the City and you'll see it being eaten (at least according to my wife). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza :)

The location Arroz con Pollo (thanks for the suggestion) was referring to is Los Bachiche. It is actually a really nice restaurant along with the prices of a nice restaurant and not a pizzeria but if that's the only place we may have to go back and try the pizza instead of the pasta.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I tried pizzas in New York two times but sorry I am not fan of pizzas, I prefer focaccia, bruschetta or panini.
Someone told me this pizzeria makes New York style pizzas.
http://www.spizza.pe/
http://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Restauran ... egion.html
Avenue Dos de Mayo 455 | San Isidro, Lima, Perú
Telph.-222-2228
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am

I agree, Spizza is very good pizza. Not sure if it's exactly NYC, but it's good nonetheless. You get the classics, as well as gourmet twists, with ingredients like parma ham, arugula, basil, etc. Totally worth trying out :)
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Can't end a thread like this without a picture of "one of the Best"!
Attachments
totonnos.jpg
totonnos.jpg (59.95 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am

Alpineprince wrote:Can't end a thread like this without a picture of "one of the Best"!

Hi would you please post the location. I would like to try it.
Thank you
Bobby :)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:13 am

rgbjr wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:Can't end a thread like this without a picture of "one of the Best"!

Thank you

It's looks like the place is located in New York or Chicago.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 pm

sbaustin wrote:Prefer a place not on Pizza street.

Avoid the Calle de las Pizzas. First time I visited Peru, I'v eaten a Pizza in Pizza Street and ended up in the Good Hope Hospital in Miraflores. Costing 270 soles and another 85 soles on medication.

Good pizza's are tough to find. The chain places like Papa Johns, Domino's and Pizza Hut have chewy pizzas with cheese on top that looks like melted plastic.

In Lima, I only found decent pizza's at Pizzería Zarella at Jr. Cuzo in Magdalena Del Mar. It's also looks like a authentic Italian restaurant. It's always busy. Even during weekdays.

http://www.pizzeriazarelle.com/

Best pizzas can be found at 'Café Del Mundo' in Tarapoto. Located at Jr. Alegria de Morey.
It's run by an Italian. He's also the owner of 'La Castilla de Lamas'.

http://www.tripadvisor.es/Restaurant_Re ... egion.html
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:49 am

chi chi wrote:
rgbjr wrote:

Thank you

It's looks like the place is located in New York or Chicago.

I guessed it right. I looked up the place and it's located in Coney Island, New York.
Their address:

1524 Neptune Avenue (between West 15th Street and West 16th Street) in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York.

The restaurant got destroyed completely by a fire in 2009. They reopened in October 2012 but in December the same year, the restaurant got devastated by huricane Sandy. They eventually reopened in March 2013.

Alpineprince, thanks for the recommendation. Next time when I have a long transfer between flights in NY, I might pay them a visit.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:51 pm

I had family lunch yesterday and some of my relatives told me that the pizza of the italian food restaurant La linterna is amazing.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... egion.html
Caminos del Inca 459, Surco, Lima, Peru
telephone: 372-1376
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Gaston's Italian place in Miraflores on La Paz / 28 de Julio.

I probably with cost you an arm and a leg as the food at Gaston's restaurants isn't democraticaly priced.
LiveInPeru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby LiveInPeru » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm

chi chi wrote:I probably with cost you an arm and a leg as the food at Gaston's restaurants isn't democraticaly priced.

I found they charge the same price to everyone... seems democratic to me.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm

LiveInPeru wrote:
chi chi wrote:I probably with cost you an arm and a leg as the food at Gaston's restaurants isn't democraticaly priced.

Sure, they charge the same Price to everyone but a high Price. Gaston's restaurants aren't places if your are after a cheap meal.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 pm

chi chi wrote:
LiveInPeru wrote:

Sure, they charge the same Price to everyone but a high Price. Gaston's restaurants aren't places if your are after a cheap meal.

Democratically priced to chi chi means that someone that is considered "tacaño" in Peru would spend their money on said product/service.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 pm

sbaustin wrote:Democratically priced to chi chi means that someone that is considered "tacaño" in Peru would spend their money on said product/service.

Democratically priced services or products means that most people can afford it.

It's doesn't mean the cheapest junk because that's mostly a ripp off. If you buy cheap junk then you probably have to spend a lot of money afterwards to repair or maybe you have to buy a new one, so the total prices will be no longer democratic.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for clarifying. So it doesn't mean the cheapest price. It means the cheapest price with the highest quality?

By your definition almost every restaurant menu might be considered out since the quality of the food and cleanliness (based on some prior posts) are so low these shouldn't qualify considering one could get sick and/or have stomach issues, miss work, go to the hospital etc? I'm starting to understand it now.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm sure Gaston is really missing out on the illegal immigrant Belgian welfare demographic.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 pm

sbaustin wrote:Thanks for clarifying. So it doesn't mean the cheapest price. It means the cheapest price with the highest quality?

By your definition almost every restaurant menu might be considered out since the quality of the food and cleanliness (based on some prior posts) are so low these shouldn't qualify considering one could get sick and/or have stomach issues, miss work, go to the hospital etc? I'm starting to understand it now.

Not all menu places are filthy. There are many menu restaurants that are clean, have excellent food and charge between 3.50 and 6 solitos.

I was used to work as a chef for some 4 and 5 star hotels and some of their kitchens were filthy.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 pm

chi chi wrote:
Not all menu places are filthy. There are many menu restaurants that are clean, have excellent food and charge between 3.50 and 6 solitos.

I was used to work as a chef for some 4 and 5 star hotels and some of their kitchens were filthy.

Not all of them are, but when you charge so little especially in Lima you have to cut a lot of corners to be able to provide food at that price. This includes many of the things you have mentioned here like the lack of soap, lack of sanitary conditions, lack of training people how to clean themselves, lack of good ingredients, etc.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm

sbaustin wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Not all of them are, but when you charge so little especially in Lima you have to cut a lot of corners to be able to provide food at that price. This includes many of the things you have mentioned here like the lack of soap, lack of sanitary conditions, lack of training people how to clean themselves, lack of good ingredients, etc.

There's no reason to cut down on hygiene. Most of the people that run menú places own their local. Because they don't pay rent, they can sell menus at a democratic rate. Also they always have a lot of customers. Mostly repeat customers.
The more expensive restaurants are only busy at the weekends and their customers only visit them once or twice a year.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Gaston's Italian place in Miraflores on La Paz / 28 de Julio has the only pizza resembling New York using the appropriate mozerella and crust texture that I have personally tried in Lima. It's not 100% accurate but about as good as I've found.

I find Gastons La Mar to be insufficient in authentic Peruvian tastes especially when dealing with the cebiche classico.

Not sure I would trust him or his chefs to replicate a ZA!
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:53 pm

chi chi wrote:
LiveInPeru wrote:

Much less a good meal eh mate?

Also, Calle de las Pizzas is definately not on my list of places to eat save for the old pub and the wings. The night life is definately worthwhile though, just tell the bouncers you don't pay covers and ask for a free drink and your made.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
Abigail0521
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Abigail0521 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm 8 months pregnant and would say NY pizza by the slice has been a weekly craving for the past few months. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything even close. Spizza, La Linterna, etc have very good pizza, but it's not NY style. The crust is too thin and crispy and there's not enough cheese and oil. I'm guessing the pizza here is way healthier, but it's not the same!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Abigail0521 wrote:I'm 8 months pregnant and would say NY pizza by the slice has been a weekly craving for the past few months. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything even close.

I am also disappointed with the pizza's and other Italian food like lasagnas and spaghettis in Peru. So, I started to make my own.
Much better and on top of that I know what has been put in it and it's fresh.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 am

So...
What places in NYC would you guys recommend for pizza?
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm

argidd wrote:So...
What places in NYC would you guys recommend for pizza?

Any of the small family run eateries in Little Italy.
spaceman

Postby spaceman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi guys, I have found a NY style pizza in Lima, visit www.popolopizzeria.com :lol:

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register