Fruit List English/Spanish

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

DC_20833

Fruit List English/Spanish

Postby DC_20833 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Please refer to my post on June 7, 2014 for the FINAL ENGLISH/SPANISH FRUIT LIST.
Last edited by DC_20833 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fruit List English/Spanish

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:52 pm

A platano isn't the same as a banana.

A banana is sweet and you can eat it raw.

You won't eat a raw platano. You have to fry or baked it.

I love chifles.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 am

Plátano is banana. There are different varieties of banana in Peru; that doesn't change the fact that a banana is un plàtano.
Clarification:
Gooseberry = aguaymanto = capulí = tomatillo

Addition:
Blackcurrant = grosella negra
Dragon fruit = pitahaya
Star fruit = carambola
Loquat = níspero
Zucchini = zapallito italiano
Aubergine/ eggplant = berenjena
Regards,

Argidd
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:51 am

chi chi wrote:A platano isn't the same as a banana.

I love chifles.

Every Latin American country I've been to calls the sweet and edible raw type of bananas platanos. The markets I shop at all have the sweet banana you can eat raw labeled as "platanos." What is it you call the sweet and edible raw type, if not platano? What have you heard Latin Americans refer to them as, if not platano? Are you thinking of the plaintain? Those you need to fry or bake. Do you already know all this and are just looking for attention and/or to stir the pot?
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:12 am

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:A platano isn't the same as a banana.

I love chifles.

Every Latin American country I've been to calls the sweet and edible raw type of bananas platanos. The markets I shop at all have the sweet banana you can eat raw labeled as "platanos." What is it you call the sweet and edible raw type, if not platano? What have you heard Latin Americans refer to them as, if not platano? Are you thinking of the plantain? Those you need to fry or bake. Do you already know all this and are just looking for attention and/or to stir the pot?

My wife, a Peruvian, calls them BANANO, but also at times platano. I had to relearn these words, as in the caribbean, we called a banana "guiñeo" and the plantain a "platano."

Also I had some passion fruit juice in Lima that was excellent. In the tropics the are round like an orange, but I saw some that were big and long! I think we call them banana passionfruit. In Peru they call them "Maracuyá." In Puerto Rico it is known as "parcha."
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am

Please refer to my post on June 7, 2014 for the FINAL ENGLISH/SPANISH FRUIT LIST.
Last edited by DC_20833 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:56 am

In a culinary context, the zucchini or courgette is treated as a vegetable, which means it is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish or accompaniment. Botanically, however, the zucchini is a fruit, being the swollen ovary of the zucchini flower. The zucchini or courgette originates from Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini

For aubergines or eggplants, the fruit is botanically classified as a berry and contains numerous small, soft seeds which are edible, but have a bitter taste because they contain nicotinoid alkaloids (being a relative of tobacco).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Sergio/Jim: I included the 2 latter because they are the fruit of a plant, just like pumpkins and squashes, and so many other "vegetables". I did not know Solanaceae (aubergines, tomatoes, aguaymantos) were classified as berries, you learn something new every day!

Jim: You missed passion fruit = maracuyá/granadilla (I understand there is no distinction in English, correct me if I'm wrong!)
Regards,

Argidd
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Last edited by DC_20833 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:33 pm

argidd wrote:Sergio/Jim: I included the 2 latter because they are the fruit of a plant, just like pumpkins and squashes, and so many other "vegetables". I did not know Solanaceae (aubergines, tomatoes, aguaymantos) were classified as berries, you learn something new every day!

Jim: You missed passion fruit = maracuyá/granadilla (I understand there is no distinction in English, correct me if I'm wrong!)

Agridd,

I guess you missed my post! :)

Joe
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:11 am

Last edited by DC_20833 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:20 am

FRUIT LIST

This will be my FINAL update for the Fruit List. I hope that somebody will take on the task of updating the whole list as more corrections and additions are posted within this thread. You have my approval to do so.

ENGLISH / SPANISH

APPLE / MANZANA
AVOCADO / PALTA
BANANA / PLÁTANO
BLACKBERRY / MORA, ZARZAMORA
BLACKCURRANT / GROSELLA NEGRA
BLUEBERRY / ARÁNDANO
CAMU CAMU / CAMU CAMU
CANTALOUPE / MELON
CHERIMOYA / CHIRIMOYA
CHERRY / CEREZA
COCONUT / COCO
CRANBERRY / ARÁNDANO
DATE / DÁTIL
DRAGON FRUIT / PITAHAYA
FIG / HIGO
GALIA / MÓN GALIA
GOOSEBERRY / AGUAYMANTO, CAPULÍ, AND TOMATILLO
GRAPE / UVA
GRAPEFRUIT / POMO, TORONJA
GUARANA / FRUTA DE GUARANÁ
HUCKLEBERRY / ARÁNDANO
KIWI / KIWI
KUMQUAT / KINOTO
LEMON / LIMÓN
LIME / LEMON
LOQUAT / NÍSPERO
LOGANBERRY / ZARZA, FRAMBUESA
MANDARIN / MANDARINA
MANGO / MANGO
MULBERRY / MORA
NARANJIL / NARANJIL
NECTARINE / NECTARINA
ORANGE / NARANJA
PAPAYA / PAPAYA
PASSION FRUIT / MARACUYÁ OR GRANADILLA
PEACH / DURAZNO
PEAR / PERA
PERSIMMON / CAQUI
PINEAPPLE / PIÑA
PNTAIN / PLÁTANO
PLUM / CIRUE
POMEGRANATE / GRANADA
PRICKLY PEAR / TUNA
RASPBERRY / FRAMBUESA
STAR FRUIT / CARAMBOLA
STRAWBERRY / FRESA, FRUTIL
TANGERINE / MANDARINA
TOMATILLO / TOMATILLO
TOMATO / TOMATE
WATERMON / SANDÍA
Last edited by DC_20833 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am

Might be worth pointing out that mango also means handle, although I doubt there are many contexts where this might cause confusion. However, if you like making puns in Spanish...
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 am

Just looking over the list. How can "blueberries" and "cranberries" be the same thing in Peru? There has to be a difference! Anyone know what cranberries are called in Peru?
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

captcosmic wrote:Just looking over the list. How can "blueberries" and "cranberries" be the same thing in Peru? There has to be a difference! Anyone know what cranberries are called in Peru?

Maybe arándano rojo is a cranberry, and arándano azul is a blueberry? It works in Google but, maybe not in the supermarket :D
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

I found this on a alternative website:

"BLUEBERRY (Vaccinium Cyanococcus): grows on a shrub or bush. In Spanish, it's called "mora" or sometmes "mora azul". Definitely not an "arándano" which grows in wetlands or bogs, floating on water. For some unknown reason, perhaps because they belong to the same genus, many Spanish dictiionaries have translated blueberries as "arándanos." If you see these friuts in their natural state, they look and taste totally different.

CRANBERRY (Vaccinium Oxycoccus): "arándano" "

Sounds like he/she is much more knowledgable than I. But, I wonder who I go to the supermarket and ask for cranberry juice? I have never seen blueberry juice. So maybe I have a good chance of finding it. My wife has never heard the word arandano. Hmm..maybe If I can find it in Quechuan she might know what it is?

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=691139
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:36 am

captcosmic wrote:I found this on a alternative website:

"BLUEBERRY (Vaccinium Cyanococcus): grows on a shrub or bush. In Spanish, it's called "mora" or sometmes "mora azul". Definitely not an "arándano" which grows in wetlands or bogs, floating on water. For some unknown reason, perhaps because they belong to the same genus, many Spanish dictiionaries have translated blueberries as "arándanos." If you see these friuts in their natural state, they look and taste totally different.

CRANBERRY (Vaccinium Oxycoccus): "arándano" "

Sounds like he/she is much more knowledgable than I. But, I wonder who I go to the supermarket and ask for cranberry juice? I have never seen blueberry juice. So maybe I have a good chance of finding it. My wife has never heard the word arandano. Hmm..maybe If I can find it in Quechuan she might know what it is?

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=691139

Many stores carry blueberries which for the most part I think are called moras. I've never seen cranberry but yes the juice is sold here but is imported. I'll check to the label next time I'm at the store to see how it is translated.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks! Will be looking forward to what you find out!
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 pm

sbaustin wrote:Many stores carry blueberries which for the most part I think are called moras. I've never seen cranberry but yes the juice is sold here but is imported. I'll check to the label next time I'm at the store to see how it is translated.

I thought that Moras are Black berries, a completely different fruit.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:26 pm

panman wrote:
captcosmic wrote:Just looking over the list. How can "blueberries" and "cranberries" be the same thing in Peru? There has to be a difference! Anyone know what cranberries are called in Peru?

Maybe arándano rojo is a cranberry, and arándano azul is a blueberry? It works in Google but, maybe not in the supermarket :D

Labels in stores identify arándano rojo as a cranberry and arándano azul as a blueberry.

All cranberry juice I have seen is imported, even when packaged by a Peruvian company: L'Onda.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register