Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am

Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby victmanu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Three new restaurants opened in Lima the last months.

A chicken wings restaurant.
https://es-es.facebook.com/wingmanalitasinc

A hamburger restaurant.
https://es-es.facebook.com/NYBurgerPeru

An italian restaurant
https://es-es.facebook.com/oliveperuoficial


User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 am

Unfortunately, only junk food eateries.

It would be nice if someone opens a place with healthy low fat food.
User avatar
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:06 am

Junk food? The OP was just informing the board about choices. The italian places looks very good! I think you did not get to that page before you pronounced them bad for everyone.

Oh, and the Italian restaurant's name plate looks awfully familiar. Almost a spitting image of the old Olive Garden sign!:) Will I feel like family when I am there? :D
User avatar
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 am

1111.png
1111.png (42.75 KiB) Viewed 1860 times


OliveGarden-logo.jpg
OliveGarden-logo.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby panman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 am

chi chi wrote:Unfortunately, only junk food eateries.

It would be nice if someone opens a place with healthy low fat food.

Healthy low fat food is not the most popular choice in Peru, and with the multitude of restaurants and other eateries to choose from I don't think such a place would last very long without some form of Colesterol on the menu.
Remember last Sunday, in honor of healthy eating, Peru celebrated its annual Pollo a la grasa day :lol:
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 am

chi chi wrote:Oh, and the Italian restaurant's name plate looks awfully familiar. Almost a spitting image of the old Olive Garden sign!:)


Actually, that is authentic Olive Garden ... I remember reading they were altering the name slightly when they entered the Peru market.

http://www.olivegarden.com/international
User avatar
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 am

Wow. Nice, I did not know that! Funny how they also consider Puerto Rico "international!"
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:03 pm

captcosmic wrote:Junk food? The OP was just informing the board about choices. The italian places looks very good! I think you did not get to that page before you pronounced them bad for everyone.


Pizzas, lasagnas, and spaghetti bolognese aren't low fat healthy options either.

panman wrote:Healthy low fat food is not the most popular choice in Peru, and with the multitude of restaurants and other eateries to choose from I don't think such a place would last very long without some form of Colesterol on the menu.
Remember last Sunday, in honor of healthy eating, Peru celebrated its annual Pollo a la grasa day :lol:


There are just few options often eateries that sell healthy food.

Americans are also known of fans of greasy fast food but when I was in DC and LA I saw a lot of places selling freshly made salads and fruitjuices and they were very busy.
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby KenBE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm

panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:Unfortunately, only junk food eateries.

It would be nice if someone opens a place with healthy low fat food.

Healthy low fat food is not the most popular choice in Peru, and with the multitude of restaurants and other eateries to choose from I don't think such a place would last very long without some form of Colesterol on the menu.
Remember last Sunday, in honor of healthy eating, Peru celebrated its annual Pollo a la grasa day :lol:


Ceviche is low fat and quite healthy.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby panman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 pm

KenBE wrote:
panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:Unfortunately, only junk food eateries.

It would be nice if someone opens a place with healthy low fat food.

Healthy low fat food is not the most popular choice in Peru, and with the multitude of restaurants and other eateries to choose from I don't think such a place would last very long without some form of Colesterol on the menu.
Remember last Sunday, in honor of healthy eating, Peru celebrated its annual Pollo a la grasa day :lol:


Ceviche is low fat and quite healthy.

Depends where they catch the fish.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:55 pm

KenBE wrote:Ceviche is low fat and quite healthy.


Sure it is but it's generally accompanied by a bottle of Cristal or a jarra de chicha morado so the low fat and healthy are gone.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby victmanu » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 am

I just posted those places for the nostalgic foreigners and for those who want to try something new in Lima.
And the Olive restaurant is a franchise of Olive garden, the U.S. restaurant chain.

Chicha morada is healthy , just ask the waiters to do not put sugar and bring your sweetener or stevia.
http://vespawoolf.hubpages.com/hub/Chic ... do-Recipes

There are a lot of vegetarian ad veggan restaurants in Lima, also there are new raw food restaurants.
These are few of the healthy and organic food restaurantes located in Lima.
You can find a jugueria in almost every corner of Lima downtown and Jesus maria and Magdalena and Surco.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants- ... egion.html
http://www.happycow.net/south_america/peru/lima/
http://www.unidosporlosanimales.org/pic ... es2012.pdf
https://es-es.facebook.com/RawCafeClub
http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2011/05/ ... -peru-lima
http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2011/06/ ... sco-part-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH6rVPrTLDI
This restaurant has more than 3 decades open in Lima, was changing locations but has a lot of clients and is not cheap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2z_yc7404
Hare krishna vegetarian restaurants in different locations of Lima. Govinda restaurants have been around for more than 40 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_dM9fvDb84



But You can find more than one hundred vegetarian restaurants in Lima , If you go to Risso shopping center there are 4 vegetarian restaurants around. In Lima downtown there are at least ten vegetarian restaurants and they sell natural medicine and they are located over there for at least 40 years.
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby KenBE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 am

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:Ceviche is low fat and quite healthy.


Sure it is but it's generally accompanied by a bottle of Cristal or a jarra de chicha morado so the low fat and healthy are gone.


Yes, that's true. Most Peruvians drink a lot of gaseosas (Inca Kola) or chicha morada/limonada with lots of sugar.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby panman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 am

victmanu wrote:
Chicha morada is healthy , just ask the waiters to do not put sugar and bring your sweetener or stevia.
http://vespawoolf.hubpages.com/hub/Chic ... do-Recipes


I very much doubt that you will find many, or even any restaurants that will be able to serve you Chicha Morada without sugar. If it's not bought pre-prepared (with sugar) it's sure to be made up in bulk, again with sugar.
If you prefer a drink with no sugar, they're more likely to offer you a bottle of water.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 pm

chi chi wrote:Unfortunately, only junk food eateries.

It would be nice if someone opens a place with healthy low fat food.


That was the traditional thinking for years. But...

"Three groups of researchers have recently weighed data from all available large long-term studies that have tracked saturated-fat intake and heart attacks or strokes. All three found no association between saturated fat and heart attacks or strokes. People who consumed the highest levels of saturated fat had about the same rates of heart disease as people who consumed the least."

Saturated fat is NOT bad for your heart!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christian ... 14235.html

Sugar is now the bad boy.



.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:25 am

teamoperu wrote:Sugar is now the bad boy.


Often we eat more sugar than we think.

Many soft drinks or so called healthy sport drinks contains a lot of sugar.

Those places that sell so called healthy fruit and vegetable juice often put a lot of sugar in it as well.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Chicken wings, hamburgers and pasta in Lima.

Postby victmanu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Sugar is now the bad boy.


Often we eat more sugar than we think.

Many soft drinks or so called healthy sport drinks contains a lot of sugar.

Those places that sell so called healthy fruit and vegetable juice often put a lot of sugar in it as well.


Next time You'll go to The places that sell juices order your juice without sugar.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register