Where are the best Pisco Sours?

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Where are the best Pisco Sours?

Postby timothy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:19 am

No doubt this subject has come up before, but I'm out of touch and need some advice.

Currently, where in the Lima area does one find the very best Pisco Sour ?

In 'the old days', the best were in the bars of the Gran Hotel Boliavr, and the Sheraton Hotel a few blocks away.

I need this info for my first days back in Peru.

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where are the best Pisco Sours?

Postby panman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 am

I think it's a matter of taste, but in my opinion I would say that the country club in San Isidro serve the best Pisco Sours that I've tasted in a bar. Having said that, at the prices they charge they should be something special.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:58 am

The pisco sours at the Sumaq international lounge at Lima airport are quite good. They even chill the glass before pouring. And they are free :D
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:50 am

teamoperu wrote:The pisco sours at the Sumaq international lounge at Lima airport are quite good. They even chill the glass before pouring. And they are free :D

Not quite free.
First, most people, have to pay almost $100 for a priority pass, then a further $27 per visit if you have a guest.
I'm sure though if you travel regularly, get there early and drink plenty, they work out pretty cheap. One of chi chi's tricks I beleive.:lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:22 am

panman wrote:
teamoperu wrote:The pisco sours at the Sumaq international lounge at Lima airport are quite good. They even chill the glass before pouring. And they are free :D

Not quite free.
First, most people, have to pay almost $100 for a priority pass, then a further $27 per visit if you have a guest.
I'm sure though if you travel regularly, get there early and drink plenty, they work out pretty cheap. One of chi chi's tricks I beleive.:lol:

Often with TACA/Avianca, flights in Clasa Ejecutiva are cheaper than in Clasa Turista. Also you often need less Lifemiles to fly in Clasa Ejecutiva.
If you get a Clasa Ejecutiva boarding pass, you get free lounge access.
Last time we flew from Tarapoto to New York. We had to change flight a few times so we went to the lounge in Lima, San Jose and San Salvador.
Then lounge in Lima was the busiest one, very crowded. The one in San Jose is the nicest and quietest one but you only get one free drink and no free food.
The lounge in San Salvador isn't cosy due to the bright lights on the ceiling but they have the best food and plentifull. It's a stuff yourself till you drop place.
Even the bar is self service. Help yourself to as many Whisky, Baileys, wine, Vodka, Brandy,...
Anytime I go to that lounge there are a few people that are completely wasted.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am

panman wrote:

Not quite free.

You are right about folks with PP it can cost money (except at the Pretige PP level where unlimited visits are free). Also Amex Plat cc gives you free access. But for me, a frequent flyer with status, it really is free, as a benefit to my elite tier level. I get to know the barkeep by name and he makes my regular without asking. :)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:

Not quite free.

Often with TACA/Avianca, flights in Clasa Ejecutiva are cheaper than in Clasa Turista. Also you often need less Lifemiles to fly in Clasa Ejecutiva.
If you get a Clasa Ejecutiva boarding pass, you get free lounge access.
Last time we flew from Tarapoto to New York. We had to change flight a few times so we went to the lounge in Lima, San Jose and San Salvador.
Then lounge in Lima was the busiest one, very crowded. The one in San Jose is the nicest and quietest one but you only get one free drink and no free food.
The lounge in San Salvador isn't cosy due to the bright lights on the ceiling but they have the best food and plentifull. It's a stuff yourself till you drop place.
Even the bar is self service. Help yourself to as many Whisky, Baileys, wine, Vodka, Brandy,...
Anytime I go to that lounge there are a few people that are completely wasted.

"Often with TACA/Avianca, flights in Clasa Ejecutiva are cheaper than in Clasa Turista. Also you often need less Lifemiles to fly in Clasa Ejecutiva." Both of these statements are misleading. It would be exceedingly rare that a Biz fare or LM redemption would be less. It is complicated (sold out fare buckets aligning with sales) to explain it to you chi chi, but I am willing if you want?
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 am

Before, like most posts these days, this goes wildly astray let's consider the OP's original question, and bare in mind I don't think he's interested in hanging around Jorge Chavez airport or traveling to San Salvador for a drink, even if you can "stuff yourself till you drop" those are the type of people who have persuaded me, so far, never to step foot in an all inclusive resort.
The Mauri downtown used to be a nice place to drink Pisco Sour, but the whole place has been ruined over the last several years by the current owner. Last time I was there a month or so ago, the nice entrance to the restaurant had been changed into a horrible tacky store, selling cheap Chinese garbage.
I haven't tried it yet, but I am also told that the bar in the Westin does an excellent Pisco Sour. I'm sure though it will have a similar price tag to the Country Club.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 am

panman wrote:Before, like most posts these days, this goes wildly astray let's consider the OP's original question, and bare in mind I don't think he's interested in hanging around Jorge Chavez airport or traveling to San Salvador for a drink, even if you can "stuff yourself till you drop" those are the type of people who have persuaded me, so far, never to step foot in an all inclusive resort.
The Mauri downtown used to be a nice place to drink Pisco Sour, but the whole place has been ruined over the last several years by the current owner. Last time I was there a month or so ago, the nice entrance to the restaurant had been changed into a horrible tacky store, selling cheap Chinese garbage.
I haven't tried it yet, but I am also told that the bar in the Westin does an excellent Pisco Sour. I'm sure though it will have a similar price tag to the Country Club.

I just answered the OP question. But then had to correct some incorrect off topic statements. In answer to the OP, where are the best pisco sours? I find the best pisco sours at the Sumaq lounge, best in Lima I've experienced.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks for lining me up with a few starting places in Lima.

Perhaps in the future a few aficionados could ban together and create The Pisco Sour Trail ? A worthy quest. We might compile tasting notes, ambiance references, and even keep a running list of The Top 5 public bars serving pisco sours for anyone to check out.

It would be a minor 'public service', and it would give a few of us something else to do.

Q: Does the old leather and wooden bar at the Gran Hotel Bolivar still exist ?
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:05 pm

For traditional pisco sour You Should try it where it was reinvented.
Hotel Maury in Lima downtown.

New flavors of pisco sour .
http://elcomercio.pe/gastronomia/peruan ... ia-1369566
http://elcomercio.pe/gastronomia/bares- ... cia-708973
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 pm

victmanu wrote:For traditional pisco sour You Should try it where it was reinvented.
Hotel Maury in Lima downtown.

New flavors of pisco sour .
http://elcomercio.pe/gastronomia/peruan ... ia-1369566
http://elcomercio.pe/gastronomia/bares- ... cia-708973

If you'd read my earlier post I mentioned that the Maury is no longer at patch on what it used to be. I would suggest that you migt be very disappointed.
CruxDeux

Postby CruxDeux » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:28 am

I love the coca sours and lucuma sours that you can get at various restaurants in the Parque Kennedy vicinity.
"The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of the human race than the discovery of a star."
Marco3578

Postby Marco3578 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:34 pm

I have tried an amazing Pisco Sour during a Pisco tasting i made in Miraflores, bought the activity from the company exploor, they are selling activities and tours in Peru online. I'll leave the link with you so you can check it :) https://www.exploor.pe/collections/degustacion-de-licores

Cheers! :lol:
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 am

Having evaluated many, many over the years, my wife and I believe that the "house" variety pisco sour in the restaurant Francesco on the malecón is the best. Although a little pricey, it is in a large glass. A tu salud!!!!
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:40 pm

RICHARDandNORA wrote:Having evaluated many, many over the years, my wife and I believe that the "house" variety pisco sour in the restaurant Francesco on the malecón is the best. Although a little pricey, it is in a large glass. A tu salud!!!!

Rumor has it a guy named Lon makes the best Pisco Sours.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/blogs-expat ... nge-108697
Large and in charge!
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Where are they? In my belly!

Seriously best I have had was probably at a high end restaurant in Barranco or Larcomar a long time ago. I stick to Pilsen, Tall and Cold. Occasional Margarita Mondays at home but only Jose, Fresh key limes, splash of OJ, rocks and sal!
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register