Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 am

For the second year running, Peru has won the top honor as World's Leading Culinary Destination at the 2013 World Travel Awards held in Doha, Qatar, it has been reported.
Renowned for its ingredients and traditional dishes, the Peruvian cuisine bagged the award after beating this year's other nominees, including Australia, China, France, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Spain, Thailand and USA.

This award is a recognition which confirms the upward momentum of the Peruvian gastronomy, which this year also gained another remarkable international accolade as South Americas' Best Culinary Destination.

http://internacional.peru.info/en/posts ... aight-year

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:23 am

I'll second that, Peru gets my vote!
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Well Italy gets mine :D
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Yup, Italian is good too. Just want to mention went to an Italian - Peruvian fusion restaurant, it took the best of both worlds to culinary heights.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:16 pm

In Germany, I ate in an Italian Indian. The food was superb.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:44 pm

The things it that when you want to eat good Peruvian food then you have to spend quiet a lot of money in Peru.

Whilst in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Mexico and Asian countries you can get a very good meal for a very democratic price.
Even at the bottom end, you can eat well for an affordable price. In Peru, the bottom end means a heap of rice, potatoes and a portion of ''what the hell is this?'' at a 5 soles menú place.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:00 pm

chi chi wrote:The things it that when you want to eat good Peruvian food then you have to spend quiet a lot of money in Peru.

Whilst in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Mexico and Asian countries you can get a very good meal for a very democratic price.
Even at the bottom end, you can eat well for an affordable price. In Peru, the bottom end means a heap of rice, potatoes and a portion of ''what the hell is this?'' at a 5 soles menú place.

Not true at all. For less than $20 US I dine at the top rated restaurant in Arequipa, Zig-Zag, or at Gaston's place, chi-cha, or several other top restaurants with good Peruvian food here in Arequipa. In the US the same money would get me a bland meal at a mediocre, Olive Garden, chain type restaurant, serving faux ethnic food. Unless spending anything more than S/. 5 is considered quite a lot for you.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:16 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:The things it that when you want to eat good Peruvian food then you have to spend quiet a lot of money in Peru.

Not true at all. For less than $20 US I dine at the top rated restaurant in Arequipa, Zig-Zag, or at Gaston's place, chi-cha, or several other top restaurants with good Peruvian food here in Arequipa. In the US the same money would get me a bland meal at a mediocre, Olive Garden, chain type restaurant, serving faux ethnic food. Unless spending anything more than S/. 5 is considered quite a lot for you.

I am comparing the food prices of good restaurants with the average income in those countries.

If you are from the US then paying $20 for a meal at a top rated restaurant is indeed not that expensive.
But for the average Peruvian, it's a fortune.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:08 am

chi chi wrote:I am comparing the food prices of good restaurants with the average income in those countries.

If you are from the US then paying $20 for a meal at a top rated restaurant is indeed not that expensive.
But for the average Peruvian, it's a fortune.

chi chi wrote:Whilst in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Mexico and Asian countries you can get a very good meal for a very democratic price.

Having lived in Mexico I can tell you that if paying less than $20 for a meal at a top rated restaurant is a fortune for what you consider to be the "average" Peruvian, that same less than $20 is also a fortune by those same standards for the "average" Mexican. Probably the same for the "average" person in many countries. I've also found and frequent many good menu places with tasty food for more "democratic" prices both here and Mexico, though not so much in Central America where the cuisine wasn't as varied or renowned as Mexico and Peru. If you bother to look, you can always find a good meal for a "democratic" price, be it Peru, Mexico, Asian countries, etc.. You'll also find find plenty of "bottom end" places serving rice, potatoes and portions of "what the hell is this" (or their countries equivalent) in the very same countries. Sometimes paying S/. 6 or 7 instead of S/. 5 can make a big difference in what's on your plate. You should try it. Hopefully that extra Sole or two is within your budget.

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "average." I go to these nicer restaurants with Peruvian family and friends somewhat often - people I'd consider to be "average" - a lawyer, an accountant, a University professor, a language teacher, a small business owner, a wedding/event photographer, a computer tech., etc.. Also depends on who you are referring to when you say "you" ("when you want to eat good Peruvian food..."). Since this site is directed towards expats rather than what you choose to describe (and how) the "average" Peruvian, I took the liberty to figure that "you" meant many expats living here in Peru, perhaps posting on this forum. People not accustomed to getting a first class meal at a top rated restaurant for US $15-20 in their native countries (or a very good meal in an even lower priced, less known/renowned restaurant), but can get that meal living in a country that has just won their second award in as many years as the World's Leading Culinary Destination - unless you meant someone else by "you?"

I couldn't afford to eat as often in the US at top rated (and other) restaurants as I do here in Peru, where I also go to less expensive restaurants with excellent food. I feel blessed because I can do so, and fortunate enough to live in a country with food good enough to beat in competition "this year's other nominees, including Australia, China, France, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Spain, Thailand and USA." Though I must give props to Italian, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern and Mexican (especially from Oaxaca). Variety is the spice of life.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 am

"The things it that when you want to eat good Peruvian food then you have to spend quiet a lot of money in Peru." This is an incorrect statement. You do not have to spend a lot of money to eat good Peruvian food. Actually quite the reverse. As well, the topic is the award as a culinary destination. IMHO Peru is well deserving of this award. People should, and do, come to Peru to enjoy its gastronomy.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:29 am

teamoperu wrote:

"The things it that when you want to eat good Peruvian food then you have to spend quiet a lot of money in Peru." This is an incorrect statement. You do not have to spend a lot of money to eat good Peruvian food. Actually quite the reverse. As well, the topic is the award as a culinary destination. IMHO Peru is well deserving of this award. People should, and do, come to Peru to enjoy its gastronomy.

I don't speak French or German, but I doubt the speakers of those languages who are often in the better restaurants here are complaining about the prices.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:47 pm

teamoperu wrote:

I agree. You don't have to spend a lot of money to eat well in Peru. Even a 5 soles menu can be quite good in some places. My favorite dish in the world is ceviche salpreso and it is only 15 soles. You can eat very well in Trujillo for 15-30 soles.

And I definitely think Peru is worth visiting for its food, especially if you like seafood,
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Even the street food in Peru is better that most street food in other countries.

In my younger days I ate all kinds of strange things in the Andes. Although I did get temporarily ill a few times from some funky cuy on a stick, it still tasted great.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:17 pm

I have to agree with Chichi on this as well. The food and restaurant scene at the top as well as mid range is very good, but you just can't get good food for cheap. A ten soles menu is only going to get you a plate stacked with rice and potatos and very little else in my experience. When it says steak, you just get a slice of beef, and the greens are usually a few bits of lettuce. It's just a menu of carbs.

You can find some decent seafood places for the ten soles mark. But when you compare it to the average income it doesn't work out cheap. I miss being able to go out at dinner time at work and being able to have something good to eat for the price of a small bottle of coke, around the 2 quid mark. You just can't do that in Peru. Imagine being able to get food for 2 soles! I cant explain how sick to death of rice i am!

There's not much difference in price with the mid priced restaurants and some places in the UK. I know the situation is different with the States as food can be explensive, but good quality cheap food is something i really miss.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:18 pm

I have to agree with Chichi on this as well. The food and restaurant scene at the top as well as mid range is very good, but you just can't get good food for cheap. A ten soles menu is only going to get you a plate stacked with rice and potatos and very little else in my experience. When it says steak, you just get a slice of beef, and the greens are usually a few bits of lettuce. It's just a menu of carbs.

You can find some decent seafood places for the ten soles mark. But when you compare it to the average income it doesn't work out cheap. I miss being able to go out at dinner time at work and being able to have something good to eat for the price of a small bottle of coke, around the 2 quid mark. You just can't do that in Peru. Imagine being able to get food for 2 soles! I cant explain how sick to death of rice i am!

There's not much difference in price with the mid priced restaurants and some places in the UK. I know the situation is different with the States as food can be explensive, but good quality cheap food is something i really miss.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:04 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:There's not much difference in price with the mid priced restaurants and some places in the UK. I know the situation is different with the States as food can be explensive, but good quality cheap food is something i really miss.

Go to Spain, it's even cheaper.

Just order a drink in any bar in Granada and you get free food.

I am now living in Santa Fé. I pay far less for my groceries than in Peru. Rents are cheaper as well.

For 250 euros, you can rent a 2 or 3 bed furnished flat.

...and best of all. In Spain, you get wellfare benefits.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Nonsense.

Food, whether from the 'fresh markets' or from the restaurants in Spain (comparatively) is absolutely more expensive than in Peru. Last I looked Spain was still part of the E.U. and that alone answers that question.

Once upon a time Spain was one of the Great Bargains of Europe.

It no longer is.

Unless you are roaming around with a band of Gypsies and living off the land.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:08 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote: The food and restaurant scene at the top as well as mid range is very good, but you just can't get good food for cheap.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:37 pm

timothy wrote:Once upon a time Spain was one of the Great Bargains of Europe.

It no longer is.

Sincé the economic crisis, prices have gone down again.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:00 pm

KenBE wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote: The food and restaurant scene at the top as well as mid range is very good, but you just can't get good food for cheap.

Sorry change that from Peru to Lima. I don't have enough experience outside of Lima and Arequipa to know the prices. Seafood is the exception as well, you can get decent seafood for 12 soles but other than that, if you go under 20 soles you can usually get food better and cheaper back home in the U.K, and if it's under 15 soles then food is almost always better back home. Usually because they know how to potion a meal out properly instead of just giving you nothing but rice and potatos. I'm sorry but stacks of rice doesn't make for a healthy meal!

You get some very nice sandwiches here, but for 12 soles again it's cheaper back home and you get something that's bigger than the size of the palm of your hand.

It is as chichi says because of the recession. You can get a good pub meal for as little as a fiver easily, even around the £3.99 mark gets you well fed. Supermarket and deli buffets you can eat for as little as a 550ml bottle of coke.

Of course we're not all from the same place, so this tyread varies on where we come from.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:23 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:
KenBE wrote:

Sorry change that from Peru to Lima. I don't have enough experience outside of Lima and Arequipa to know the prices. Seafood is the exception as well, you can get decent seafood for 12 soles but other than that, if you go under 20 soles you can usually get food better and cheaper back home in the U.K, and if it's under 15 soles then food is almost always better back home. Usually because they know how to potion a meal out properly instead of just giving you nothing but rice and potatos. I'm sorry but stacks of rice doesn't make for a healthy meal!

You get some very nice sandwiches here, but for 12 soles again it's cheaper back home and you get something that's bigger than the size of the palm of your hand.

It is as chichi says because of the recession. You can get a good pub meal for as little as a fiver easily, even around the £3.99 mark gets you well fed. Supermarket and deli buffets you can eat for as little as a 550ml bottle of coke.

Of course we're not all from the same place, so this tyread varies on where we come from.

My guess is that you rarely leave the most expensive parts of Lima.

12 soles sándwiches?

http://www.lagranestacionperu.com/w/home.html

Most of their sándwiches are 5-6 soles (and this is in Lima).

Here is the "carta" of El Mochica, one of the better restaurants in Trujillo. As you can see many of the dishes are around 10-15 soles (and this is one of the more expensive restaurants).

And what about chifas? They are everywhere and usually quite cheap as well:

timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:18 am

Well said and documented, KenBE!

But I'm not buying the other arguments of England and Spain being cheaper than Peru. You might pick up a pub meal for lunch at a discount, or you still might get the occasional tapas when you buy drinks that are more expensive than Peru, but across the country in general one cannot say that restaurants in Peru are more expensive than either Spain or England.

But then again, I think that this thread is about Quality, not price.

Given that, Peruvian food is becoming well known around the world and in the US, Peruvian restaurants have gained fame and popularity. Peruvian food has become international.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Yeah going off the list you've gave ken is proving my point, those prices are either the same or a little bit more. When i was back home recently i had to spend a lot of time travelling to see a sick family member. Each day i was eating for £3 (around 12 soles) to maybe £5 per meal. This price could get you double burger cheese burger with a massive potion of fries (£3), 8 bits of roast pork with fries £3, self serve vegetarian take out dish (£2), pub meals for generally £3.50 to £6. I literally got half a roast lamb for under a fiver.

Manchester there was three course meals for £6, pub meals for £3 and you got a pint for £2. So a beer and a meal for a fiver or 20 soles. Premier league football match in Sunderland, foot long hot dog £1 (4 soles), french fries 75p to £1 or £1.50 ( i recently paid 8 soles for fries in the centre of Lima). Foot stalls in Manchester center burgers, hotdogs for a £1 to £2. Toby Cavery all you can eat for a fiver.

Sandwiches, foot long french baquette seafood filling of crab, prawn and lobster £2. How big is the average french bread sandwich in Lima, yes they are extremely good but they do fit into the center of your hand.

Chichi does talk a lot of rubbish some times and over exaggerates, but the odd time he will talk sense. He is right on this one, recession and competition in city centres has lead to a pretty cut throat business when it comes to the dinner hour trade which is brilliant for customers. I haven't travelled enough outside of Lima so i can't say for prices outside, but the menu prices you've posted are only backing up my arguement. General prices from my favourite chifa back home was usually £4 main dish, rice dish £3, starters £2-3, soup £1.50, buffet all you can eat £9.99. almost the same price there as the menu provided.

Plus take into account minimum wage in the UK for 39 hours per week is around $1700 per month against Peru's 600 soles.

I'm not knocking food from the mid to high priced restaurants, you can do very well for food for a very good price. It's just food at the bottom end, too expensive and too much carbs and not enough balance.
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:37 pm

www.elmochica.com.pe
The current prices are considerably higher than on the posted menu.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:00 pm

KenBE wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:
KenBE wrote:

My guess is that you rarely leave the most expensive parts of Lima.

12 soles sándwiches?

http://www.lagranestacionperu.com/w/home.html

Most of their sándwiches are 5-6 soles (and this is in Lima).

Are these the actual sandwichs on the site, as i was saying, they're hardly a foot long baquette are they,and Callo is a bit of a trek for a midget sandwich.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:11 pm

http://www.elmochica.com.pe
The current prices are considerably higher than on the posted menu.

Well I guess they must have raised their prices very recently, because when I lived in Peru (about 2 years ago) I still paid the old prices (I used to go there all the time). Yeah this restaurant doesn't seem as affordable as it used to be (although at around 30 soles per dish they still aren't expensive at all). It seems like they moved to a new location too. There used to be three Mochicas in Trujillo (one in Moche, one on Bolivar and one in Huanchaco). On that site it says they are located in Huanchaco (in a brand new building). They don't mention the other ones which is strange (maybe they closed them down?).

@SilverBackPeru :If you can eat well in England for 15-20 soles, well I guess then England is fairly cheap too (I had no idea). But you CAN do the same in Peru too. At least that is about what I paid when I ate out in Trujillo and the food was excellent. And again you can go even lower in Peru and still eat good food: chifa menus for about 10 soles (soup + main dish), regular menus for 5 soles (soup, main dish + drink). I agree that not all menú places are good but some definitely are and they don't all serve only "rice and potatoes".
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:17 am

There's generally a wider range in prices in the UK i guess. You can pay a lot for a dinner, but it's very easy to find places for those on a cheaper budget. Chichi is right, recession has pushed a lot of the prices down, and there are plenty of places that aim for the lunchtime trade with cheap prices. Bar meals are generally always very good value and out of my experience are without doubt better value than most of the menu restaurants i've eaten from in Peru (seafood, chinese are the exceptions). Most have been in Lima, but it's the fact that everything is usually carb based rice and potatos or rice and fries.

Just going out for a snack today during dinner, you usually pay 2-2.50 soles for an empanada here, they're usually pretty small with not much of a filling. Generally price for a pie back home is between 50p, £1 to £2, but you get a proper pie, with proper filling, and is a lot larger than the empanadas here. The local bakery back home i could get a steak pie for 50p which was twice the size of the average empanada.

Supermarkets just aren't good value here. The same chicken and fries advertised in this Miraflores supermarket only cost me £3 and £1 for fries (16 soles) in Morrisons back home.

Mid range to high however is extremely good here. For food of that quality you would have to pay a lot back home
Attachments
wong.jpg
wong.jpg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:15 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:There's generally a wider range in prices in the UK i guess. You can pay a lot for a dinner, but it's very easy to find places for those on a cheaper budget. Chichi is right, recession has pushed a lot of the prices down, and there are plenty of places that aim for the lunchtime trade with cheap prices. Bar meals are generally always very good value and out of my experience are without doubt better value than most of the menu restaurants i've eaten from in Peru (seafood, chinese are the exceptions). Most have been in Lima, but it's the fact that everything is usually carb based rice and potatos or rice and fries.

Just going out for a snack today during dinner, you usually pay 2-2.50 soles for an empanada here, they're usually pretty small with not much of a filling. Generally price for a pie back home is between 50p, £1 to £2, but you get a proper pie, with proper filling, and is a lot larger than the empanadas here. The local bakery back home i could get a steak pie for 50p which was twice the size of the average empanada.

Supermarkets just aren't good value here. The same chicken and fries advertised in this Miraflores supermarket only cost me £3 and £1 for fries (16 soles) in Morrisons back home.

Mid range to high however is extremely good here. For food of that quality you would have to pay a lot back home

You can get all kinds of meals at a 5 soles menu place in Peru: fish, lomo saltado, duck, etc. It changes every day. Yes, they usually give you potatoes and/or rice (often both) but you also get a salad and soup. In some of the poorer areas you can even get menus for 3 soles.

Again it seems like most of your experiences are based on what you see in Miraflores which is a lot more expensive than the rest of Peru. As I said before, you can eat some of the very best food in Peru for around 15-20 soles (3-4 pounds, 4-5 euros, 5-6 usd). Or at least you could when I lived in Peru. Is that expensive? Not to me.

Supermarkets can be good value in Peru. Tottus and PlazaVea often have very good deals. But you have to buy Peruvian food, not imported stuff.

Chicken with fries? Well, you can get a 1/4 pollo a la brasa with fries and salad for 6 soles in some places (but not in the expensive parts of Lima):

http://gestion.pe/empresas/molina-mayor ... sa-2069375

En el otro extremo están distritos como Comas, La Victoria, San Martín de Porres, Los Olivos, donde si bien existe presencia de cadenas como Norkys, Rokys, La Leña (Los Olivos), donde el precio del cuarto de pollo puede llegar a S/. 16 , también existen muchas pollerías en las que el precio está entre S/.6 u S/.8, lo que genera que el ticket promedio de estos distritos disminuya, dijo la consultora.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 am

The best Peruvian restaurants I visited are located in Santiago De Chile, Madrid and Antwerp.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 am

So start your own thread "the best Peruvian restaurants I ever visited". No one could argue with you.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register