Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

User avatar
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby Guiri » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:42 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Mid range to high however is extremely good here. For food of that quality you would have to pay a lot back home
And that what the initial post is about !...this guys who elected Peru certainly not visit Chifas or Chicharrones joints :lol:


User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 pm

My personal favorite Peruvian restaurants are in Chimbote (lots of great cheap cevicherias like el ajicito, etc.), Trujillo (el mochica, mar picante, salpreso, etc.) and San Miguel Lima.

Here is a good one in San Miguel. It is a bit more expensive, but the food is great:

http://chepitaroyal.com/
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 pm

You can even eat well for very little money in some Peruvian discos/peñas. In many of them you can buy a big plate of chicharrones de pollo with fries, salad and aji sauce for around 10-13 soles.

http://www.elestribointernacional.com/
(click on la carta)

A very good cheap parrilla place in Trujillo (menus at 10 soles):
https://www.facebook.com/ElTroncoParrillas
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Peruvian food prices are gone up a lot.

5 years ago, you could eat a menú for 2.50 soles in Tarapoto.
Now, almost all menú places charge 5 soles.

That's a 100% increase in 5 years time but the mínimum wage hasn't gone up by 100%.

And you still get the same food as 5 years ago. Portions didn't become bigger and your plate is still a heap of potatoes and rice.
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:04 pm

chi chi wrote:Peruvian food prices are gone up a lot.

5 years ago, you could eat a menú for 2.50 soles in Tarapoto.
Now, almost all menú places charge 5 soles.

That's a 100% increase in 5 years time but the mínimum wage hasn't gone up by 100%.

And you still get the same food as 5 years ago. Portions didn't become bigger and your plate is still a heap of potatoes and rice.


5 soles still isn't expensive... Sure prices may have increased but that doesn't mean Peru has become really expensive.

In Trujillo you could still get a menú for 5 soles 2 years ago (in the middle class neighborhood where I lived). And you can still get chifa menus, pollo a la brasa menus and parrilla menus for around 10 soles.

Not all Peruvians make the mínimum wage and wages have increased in Peru over the last 10 years. 1/3 of Peruvians now make almost 2000 soles a month which isn't bad in a still relatively cheap country like Peru.

http://gestion.pe/economia/nueve-millon ... al-2073028

Of course this is mostly in the bigger cities. People in la Selva are probably still a lot poorer on average.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:06 pm

What does any of this have to with the fact Peru has been named the world's leading culinary destination for the second year in a row?

destination
[des-tuh-ney-shuh n] IPA Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
1.
the place to which a person or thing travels or is sent:
Her destination was Rome.
2.
the purpose for which something is destined.
adjective
3.
noting an attraction or event that people are willing to travel a long distance to get to, either because it is very good or distinctive or because it is located in a popular and interesting place: destination restaurants and resorts;
a destination wedding in the Caribbean.

The price of rice and beans in Lima or tea in China is completely irrelevant to the fact that people choose to make Peru a destination to partake in the excellent culinary options. I doubt these people willing to pay for airfare and lodging feel that the prices are expensive, regardless of inflation, compared to the places they flew in from. Maybe they are expensive to some (not all) of us on a regular basis, maybe they are expensive to some (not all) of the locals on a regular basis, but I doubt anyone who can afford to travel for "culinary purposes" is going to find the S/. 50 plate at a top restaurant to be expensive. It's irrelevant as to the awarding of this honor. It wasn't named world's leading budget food destination, or world's leading affordable food for locals country. It seems fickle to have to try and put down Peru for winning an award. If someone thinks the Peruvian food is better in Kathmandu, why aren't they just living there and spending their time posting on expatkathmandu instead of bashing Peru and twisting a positive into an irrelevant negative simply for receiving an award that seems well deserved?
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:10 pm

chi chi wrote:The things it that when you want to eat good Peruvian food then you have to spend quiet a lot of money in Peru.

Whilst in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Mexico and Asian countries you can get a very good meal for a very democratic price.
Even at the bottom end, you can eat well for an affordable price. In Peru, the bottom end means a heap of rice, potatoes and a portion of ''what the hell is this?'' at a 5 soles menú place.


I know this thread has got slightly de-railed from the original subject. I'm not arguing about how Peruvian food has won this award, the food is great and worthy of being promoted to the world more.

Its just i do agree with what chichi is saying here. Food at the low price end is pretty poor, mostly because it's just carb based meals. You usually get the soups and then the main meal. The soups (I'm not a fan of, i find them a bit tasteless) will mostly be pasta and boiled potato, (carbs) then the main dish is usually just filled up with rice and boiled potatos, or pasta and rice or fries sometimes (even more carbs), you will receive minimal vegetables, salad or meat. The food is usually pretty bland as well, except for chili sauce dips or seafood which can be done well cheaply.

You can find the 5 soles menus easily in Miraflores, they are usually in someones house out of sight. i went for one today on my break. Sure enough sky high cards with half a chicken leg and soup. It's not a proper meal. The food does get a lot better very quickly when you increase the price. But myself i haven't ate anything that i would call great for under 15 -20 soles. I find it a bit depressing, the fact i can get a full roasted chicken (not a half or quarter) for £3 and £3 here just gets you rice.
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:39 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote: £3 here just gets you rice.


Not true (look at my examples)... :roll: Anyway I am done arguing about this, we are going around in circles and it is getting pointless. Let's just say I don't agree with you guys at all. I have eaten what I consider to be great food in Peru for very little money (at least it is to me). I guess you guys don't really like Peruvian food that much, which is fine. It is a matter of personal preference after all. However you are in the minority as Peruvian food is very popular these days and lots of people around the world love it.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: Isaan

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby timothy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 am

ironchefchris wrote:What does any of this have to with the fact Peru has been named the world's leading culinary destination for the second year in a row?

destination
[des-tuh-ney-shuh n] IPA Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
1.
the place to which a person or thing travels or is sent:
Her destination was Rome.
2.
the purpose for which something is destined.
adjective
3.
noting an attraction or event that people are willing to travel a long distance to get to, either because it is very good or distinctive or because it is located in a popular and interesting place: destination restaurants and resorts;
a destination wedding in the Caribbean.

The price of rice and beans in Lima or tea in China is completely irrelevant to the fact that people choose to make Peru a destination to partake in the excellent culinary options. I doubt these people willing to pay for airfare and lodging feel that the prices are expensive, regardless of inflation, compared to the places they flew in from. Maybe they are expensive to some (not all) of us on a regular basis, maybe they are expensive to some (not all) of the locals on a regular basis, but I doubt anyone who can afford to travel for "culinary purposes" is going to find the S/. 50 plate at a top restaurant to be expensive. It's irrelevant as to the awarding of this honor. It wasn't named world's leading budget food destination, or world's leading affordable food for locals country. It seems fickle to have to try and put down Peru for winning an award. If someone thinks the Peruvian food is better in Kathmandu, why aren't they just living there and spending their time posting on expatkathmandu instead of bashing Peru and twisting a positive into an irrelevant negative simply for receiving an award that seems well deserved?



Save your breath, Sr. IronChief. But good try !!
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:02 am

KenBE wrote:5 soles still isn't expensive... Sure prices may have increased but that doesn't mean Peru has become really expensive.

Not all Peruvians make the mínimum wage and wages have increased in Peru over the last 10 years. 1/3 of Peruvians now make almost 2000 soles a month which isn't bad in a still relatively cheap country like Peru.



5 soles isn't expensive for the average gringo that comes to Peru for a 2 weeks vacation.

2000 soles a month isn't a bad wage for a person who's single and especially if he or she is still living with his or her parents.
But 2000 a month isn't a lot if you have a partner who isn't working and have 2, 3 or 4 children. In Lima, you allready blow half of your salary on rent alone.
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby KenBE » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:20 am

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:5 soles still isn't expensive... Sure prices may have increased but that doesn't mean Peru has become really expensive.

Not all Peruvians make the mínimum wage and wages have increased in Peru over the last 10 years. 1/3 of Peruvians now make almost 2000 soles a month which isn't bad in a still relatively cheap country like Peru.



5 soles isn't expensive for the average gringo that comes to Peru for a 2 weeks vacation.

2000 soles a month isn't a bad wage for a person who's single and especially if he or she is still living with his or her parents.
But 2000 a month isn't a lot if you have a partner who isn't working and have 2, 3 or 4 children. In Lima, you allready blow half of your salary on rent alone.


Well we were talking about food that is cheap for gringos not for Peruvians weren't we? Silverback was comparing food prices in the UK to food in Peru. And I know that to a lot of Peruvians 5 soles isn't much either because many of them eat these menus every single day (I know because I lived near several menú restaurants in Trujillo).

I think 1850-2000 was income per person, not per family (although I admit it seems a bit much). According to this article, 55% of Peruvian families (in the big cities of more than 200.000 inhabitants) have a combined income that is more than 3000 soles a month:

http://peru21.pe/economia/55-hogares-ur ... ta-2146622

El 3.7% se ubica en el NSE A, el 16.2% está en el NSE B, y el 35.2% forma parte del NSE C.


El informe establece cinco niveles socioeconómicos. El segmento A, con ingresos familiares mensuales de S/.10,622, en promedio; el B, con S/.5,126; el C, con S/.3,261; el D, con S/.1,992, y el E, con S/.1,027.


“Son familias que tienen sus necesidades cubiertas y, además, cuentan con capacidad de ahorro. En líneas generales, ganan más de S/.3 mil al mes”


But we are going way off topic again. :D
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:57 am

KenBE wrote:
chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:5 soles still isn't expensive... Sure prices may have increased but that doesn't mean Peru has become really expensive.

Not all Peruvians make the mínimum wage and wages have increased in Peru over the last 10 years. 1/3 of Peruvians now make almost 2000 soles a month which isn't bad in a still relatively cheap country like Peru.



5 soles isn't expensive for the average gringo that comes to Peru for a 2 weeks vacation.

2000 soles a month isn't a bad wage for a person who's single and especially if he or she is still living with his or her parents.
But 2000 a month isn't a lot if you have a partner who isn't working and have 2, 3 or 4 children. In Lima, you allready blow half of your salary on rent alone.


Well we were talking about food that is cheap for gringos not for Peruvians weren't we? Silverback was comparing food prices in the UK to food in Peru. And I know that to a lot of Peruvians 5 soles isn't much either because many of them eat these menus every single day (I know because I lived near several menú restaurants in Trujillo).

I think 1850-2000 was income per person, not per family (although I admit it seems a bit much). According to this article, 55% of Peruvian families (in the big cities of more than 200.000 inhabitants) have a combined income that is more than 3000 soles a month:

http://peru21.pe/economia/55-hogares-ur ... ta-2146622

El 3.7% se ubica en el NSE A, el 16.2% está en el NSE B, y el 35.2% forma parte del NSE C.


El informe establece cinco niveles socioeconómicos. El segmento A, con ingresos familiares mensuales de S/.10,622, en promedio; el B, con S/.5,126; el C, con S/.3,261; el D, con S/.1,992, y el E, con S/.1,027.


“Son familias que tienen sus necesidades cubiertas y, además, cuentan con capacidad de ahorro. En líneas generales, ganan más de S/.3 mil al mes”


But we are going way off topic again. :D


Ah come'on KenBE. Your cheating. Why would we let the facts interfere with misrepresenting our “poor” image of Perú?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:34 pm

KenBE wrote:Well we were talking about food that is cheap for gringos not for Peruvians weren't we? Silverback was comparing food prices in the UK to food in Peru. And I know that to a lot of Peruvians 5 soles isn't much either because many of them eat these menus every single day (I know because I lived near several menú restaurants in Trujillo).


Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:33 pm

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:Well we were talking about food that is cheap for gringos not for Peruvians weren't we? Silverback was comparing food prices in the UK to food in Peru. And I know that to a lot of Peruvians 5 soles isn't much either because many of them eat these menus every single day (I know because I lived near several menú restaurants in Trujillo).


Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.

How do you know this and what makes you able to state this? It seems like a broad generalization, but unless you spend all day and night with these people or have taken to interviewing people who eat in menú restaurants as to their eating habits (both of which would be very strange and unlikely), I'm not understanding how you can make this definitive statement about other people. Is this just something else pulled out the air without anything to substantiate the statement?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:10 pm

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:Well we were talking about food that is cheap for gringos not for Peruvians weren't we? Silverback was comparing food prices in the UK to food in Peru. And I know that to a lot of Peruvians 5 soles isn't much either because many of them eat these menus every single day (I know because I lived near several menú restaurants in Trujillo).


Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.


I too would be most interested if you could provide some proof, or any substantiation, for this bizarre statement.
User avatar
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby KenBE » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:38 pm

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:Well we were talking about food that is cheap for gringos not for Peruvians weren't we? Silverback was comparing food prices in the UK to food in Peru. And I know that to a lot of Peruvians 5 soles isn't much either because many of them eat these menus every single day (I know because I lived near several menú restaurants in Trujillo).


Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.


What makes you think that? :?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:54 pm

chi chi wrote:Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.

What's with the unsubstantiated statements that will no doubt prove to be no more than baseless generalizations, stereotypes, or outright lies? Same ole, same ole. Does anyone actually think that even though rightfully challenged, this statement will be backed up in any rational or legitimate way? Unless it's proven, is this statement suggesting that Peruvians who eat at menú restaurants are unable to afford to eat for the whole rest of the day borderline offensive to Peruvians or just straight up offensive? Is this just another example of the usual 'look-at-me' attention getting stupid statement or is this statement simply an example of stupidity itself? Am I being too kind if I think the former, or too harsh if I think the latter?

Many people come to this forum seeking good information. When someone who actually believes they are giving "good advice" which more often than not condones and encourages people to lie - to immigration officials, to potential employers, to potential landlords, etc., how are we to take the rest of their statements and 'stories?' How do you trust and believe someone whose "good advice" is to lie? Don't believe all the people he's advised to lie, because they may have followed his advice and are lying, but it's okay to believe him because he's being open and honest about telling people to lie, and just because he advocates that others lie that doesn't mean that he's lying himself? :roll:

Fortunately, those who've been around here longer than a minute or two or who do a bit of further research on the threads know where questionable members stand when it comes to credibility issues. Hopefully the rest are smart enough to know that people can and do say all sorts of crazy, untruthful stuff on the internet. They always seem to ignore requests for proof or to back up their crazy statements or else they just twist the conversation around. Either way, they can't back up what they say. Let's see if this weird statement about Peruvians and menú restaurants is any different or any of these credibility/lying issues are even mentioned.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:37 am

I see it a little differently. Following the thread comments, chi chi made another of his ceaseless bad mouth Perú statements about poverty. KenBE provided real data to prove chi chi wrong. So he made up a story that they only can afford to eat once a day to try to defend his original hate comment. It just digs the hole deeper. It seems irrelevant to him if any of his comments are factual, just that he can find a way to bad mouth Perú and Peruvians. Maybe the concepts of truth telling and honesty are beyond the grasp of some people?

I again challenge chi chi to substantiate his comment “Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.” Prove it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:25 am

MrEd wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.

What's with the unsubstantiated statements that will no doubt prove to be no more than baseless generalizations, stereotypes, or outright lies? Same ole, same ole. Does anyone actually think that even though rightfully challenged, this statement will be backed up in any rational or legitimate way? Unless it's proven, is this statement suggesting that Peruvians who eat at menú restaurants are unable to afford to eat for the whole rest of the day borderline offensive to Peruvians or just straight up offensive? Is this just another example of the usual 'look-at-me' attention getting stupid statement or is this statement simply an example of stupidity itself? Am I being too kind if I think the former, or too harsh if I think the latter?

Many people come to this forum seeking good information. When someone who actually believes they are giving "good advice" which more often than not condones and encourages people to lie - to immigration officials, to potential employers, to potential landlords, etc., how are we to take the rest of their statements and 'stories?' How do you trust and believe someone whose "good advice" is to lie? Don't believe all the people he's advised to lie, because they may have followed his advice and are lying, but it's okay to believe him because he's being open and honest about telling people to lie, and just because he advocates that others lie that doesn't mean that he's lying himself? :roll:

Fortunately, those who've been around here longer than a minute or two or who do a bit of further research on the threads know where questionable members stand when it comes to credibility issues. Hopefully the rest are smart enough to know that people can and do say all sorts of crazy, untruthful stuff on the internet. They always seem to ignore requests for proof or to back up their crazy statements or else they just twist the conversation around. Either way, they can't back up what they say. Let's see if this weird statement about Peruvians and menú restaurants is any different or any of these credibility/lying issues are even mentioned.


If you are trying to prove Ch Chi's statement wrong you failed.
If you are trying to prove Chi Chi's statement true, you failed.
If you are trying to prove you somehow feel threatened by Chi Chi, you succeeded, again.
A lot of words with none directed at the topic. Or even at Chi Chi's statement, you quoted, for that matter.


LOL Thanks for the morning laugh!

Now where has that "block" button gone. Done.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: Isaan

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby timothy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:31 am

R.I.P.

Ah, yes. Another good original post fades into the dust because a few people seem to find humor in one person's quest to be annoying and stay in the spotlight (in this case, more like a pocket flashlight).

But Alan, last week a new Peruvian restaurant opened near Niagara Falls. This is not because there is a big local population of Peruvians, it is because of the growing notoriety of Peruvian food.

I don't actually think that there are tour groups traveling to Peru for the sole purpose of dining, but I am certain that people now look forward to trying local dishes once they arrive as a result of Peru's cuisine gaining fame.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 am

teamoperu wrote:
MrEd wrote:If you are trying to prove Ch Chi's statement wrong you failed.
If you are trying to prove Chi Chi's statement true, you failed.
If you are trying to prove you somehow feel threatened by Chi Chi, you succeeded, again.
A lot of words with none directed at the topic. Or even at Chi Chi's statement, you quoted, for that matter.


LOL Thanks for the morning laugh!

Now where has that "block" button gone. Done.

Gave me a laugh too! Sunday Funnies! It's pretty obvious who feels threatened, though for what reason, quien sabe? For my having the nerve to ask someone who's made what I (and others) consider to be an outlandishly false statement about the Peruvian people to back up, or at least further explain their statement? Maybe because the one obviously feeling threatened, according to a recent post of his, has fears of education and people who are educated who he believes are "indoctrinated and brainwashed." Oooh, scary! Perhaps he feels the indoctrinated and brainwashed are 'out to get him!?' I notice he didn't offer any opinion at all on the validity of chi chi's statement. Speaks volumes. It wasn't on MreD to prove chi chi's statement (only chi chi can do that) but as predicted, he did manage to "twist the conversation around." As of now, still no clarification from chi chi on his statement. hmmmm. I wonder if we'll actually ever get one?

Thanks for the suggestion on that "block" button. I wish it was called something other than "enemy" because life's too short for enemies and some people are too silly to be considered by such a serious term, but whatever works.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:12 am

timothy wrote: R.I.P.

Ah, yes. Another good original post fades into the dust because a few people seem to find humor in one person's quest to be annoying and stay in the spotlight (in this case, more like a pocket flashlight).

But Alan, last week a new Peruvian restaurant opened near Niagara Falls. This is not because there is a big local population of Peruvians, it is because of the growing notoriety of Peruvian food.

I don't actually think that there are tour groups traveling to Peru for the sole purpose of dining, but I am certain that people now look forward to trying local dishes once they arrive as a result of Peru's cuisine gaining fame.

It's sad that a thread about an well deserved award given to Peru has to be twisted into bashing Peru and Peruvians. Even when gotten back on track, or at least reminded of the subject of the thread, the ante has to be upped by further bashing. Being critical about parts of Peru and the culture is one thing, or finding legitimate fault with the findings if you think Peru didn't deserve to be named the leading culinary destination, but twisting the subject to criticize Peru and flat out lie about Peruvians on things which have nothing to do with Peru deservedly winning this honor is sad and perhaps a sign of a deeper, unrelated sadness. Is there a term for the practice of putting everything around and about oneself high on a pedestal while simultaneously putting down anything that is not?

Glad to see Peruvian cuisine spread. I just looked up Peruvian restaurants near where some family in the states live and noticed quite a few, though it's not an area with a known large Peruvian population. Some are basically rotisserie chicken joints, but a couple look to have a more extensive menu.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 pm

timothy wrote: R.I.P.

I don't actually think that there are tour groups traveling to Peru for the sole purpose of dining, but I am certain that people now look forward to trying local dishes once they arrive as a result of Peru's cuisine gaining fame.


Lots of interest in gastonomic tours. There is one / are ones that has the sole purpose of gatronomy, but can't remember the name(s). Just a quick google, do not know any of them:

http://www.limagourmetcompany.com/

http://www.adventuresofdiscovery.com/ex ... tours.html

http://www.peruexperience.com/trip/by-c ... nomic-tour

etc.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:10 pm

teamoperu wrote:
timothy wrote: R.I.P.

I don't actually think that there are tour groups traveling to Peru for the sole purpose of dining, but I am certain that people now look forward to trying local dishes once they arrive as a result of Peru's cuisine gaining fame.


Lots of interest in gastonomic tours. There is one / are ones that has the sole purpose of gatronomy, but can't remember the name(s). Just a quick google, do not know any of them:

http://www.limagourmetcompany.com/

http://www.adventuresofdiscovery.com/ex ... tours.html

http://www.peruexperience.com/trip/by-c ... nomic-tour

etc.

I see that the Lima Gourmet Company is ranked #1 of 156 activities in Lima by TripAdvisor. It'd be nice to see this recognition as the world's leading culinary destination increase overall tourism to Peru. Peru: Come for Machu Picchu, stay for the food!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: Isaan

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby timothy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:30 am

MrEd wrote:Machu Picchu will always be the draw.




No S _ _ _, Sherlock.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Guiri wrote:...this guys who elected Peru certainly not visit Chifas or Chicharrones joints :lol:


Maybe they ate at TGIF at Avenida La Marina? :lol:

Sure, there are a lot of great Peruvian restaurants. But the most visible ones are the menú places and chifas.

There are hidden gems here and there where you can eat great food for a democratic price.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: Isaan

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby timothy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:53 am

chi chi wrote:
Guiri wrote:...this guys who elected Peru certainly not visit Chifas or Chicharrones joints :lol:


Maybe they ate at TGIF at Avenida La Marina? :lol:

Sure, there are a lot of great Peruvian restaurants. But the most visible ones are the menú places and chifas.

There are hidden gems here and there where you can eat great food for a democratic price.




Democratic prices? What is that supposed to mean? Once your group sits down at a table, you can vote on the price you want to pay ?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby chi chi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:13 am

timothy wrote:Democratic prices? What is that supposed to mean? Once your group sits down at a table, you can vote on the price you want to pay ?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Democratic prices mean that the prices are affordable for most people and offer good value for money.


http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserRevie ... trict.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... alais.html
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby teamoperu » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:56 am

chi chi wrote:
timothy wrote:Democratic prices? What is that supposed to mean? Once your group sits down at a table, you can vote on the price you want to pay ?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Democratic prices mean that the prices are affordable for most people and offer good value for money.


http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserRevie ... trict.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... alais.html


I understand English is not everyone's first language. But quoting another Belge who doesn't know English well either is scarcely proof of anything. Not wishing to be a school marm, but prices are not democratic, it is a misuse of words, or more kindly said, a cute twist on words. Anyway, there is absolutely no way one would intuitively define “democratic prices” as “value for money”. How you arrived at that is beyond me. It may be a definition in your head, but a first time reader isn't in your head and would be confused by the phrase. Just know that using the phrase “democratic prices” is incorrect and you do confuse uninitiated people by saying that. If you want your communication to be clear by people unfamiliar with your phraseology you might want to consider not using those words together. If you want to continue making people struggle to understand what you are trying to say, then please feel free to continue doing so.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Peru named world's leading culinary destination for 2nd time

Postby chi chi » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:03 am

I am wondering who those people are who selected Peru as the world's leading culinary destination and how they came to that decisión.

Sure, Peruvian food is nice and there are different types of cuisine in Peru but many other countries do.

I don't think that there's a country where it's cuisine can be considered as ''slop''.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register