Pan Frances

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pan Frances

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:09 pm

Can anyone provide the recipe for Pan Frances?
Thanks.......Richard

rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pan Frances

Postby rgbjr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi
If you find out please let me know also. I have been looking for 5 years no luck.
I love fresh Pan Frances.

Thank you
Bobby :D
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Neither of you have been looking very hard :lol: I just tried Google, and amongst loads of info found this.
http://youtu.be/xPq7I85KwNo
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks for the recommendation, but I have followed these recipes for years and
I have not yet found one that results in the same bread. My largest problem is creating the hollow center. I believe that it is over proofed, but can't duplicate this characteristic. At some point, someone will provide the technique. Thanks......
Last edited by RICHARDandNORA on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:51 am

I agree with Richard I tried and it never comes out the same as the pan that I like. But THANK YOU for looking for recipes it was nice of you. If there is someone on this site thats a professional baker please help.

Thank you

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:32 pm

RICHARDandNORA wrote:Thanks for the recommendation, but I have followed these recipes for years and
I have not yet found one that results in the same bread. My largest problem is creating the hollow center. I believe that it is over proofed, but can't duplicate this characteristic. At some point, someone will provide the technique. Thanks......

Ahhh the thing is real pan francés is NOT hollow, the hollow pan frances is the cheap version risen with bromato (not sure what that is in Eng; it is a chemical used to make breads grow).
Regards,

Argidd
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Wow, potassium bromate, this chemical is potentially dangerous if it is not degraded by the baking heat. However, if this is what makes the rolls hollow, I do like them. But, I hope that it is not what makes them hollow.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:06 am

Use of Potassium bromate has been prohibited for breadmaking by the Peruvian legislation. At least the formal panaderias should not be using it.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:17 am

I will ask again, can anyone provide the recipe for the holey Pan Frances? I am still trying to duplicate it. Bobby, did you have any luck locating it?
Thanks.......Richard
Last edited by RICHARDandNORA on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi Richard
No the one I did get was more white bread and nor Pan Frances. I am looking for the kind that you can buy in a village in Ancash called Yungay it is more of a sourdough roll. If you have any luck please let me know I will do the same
Thank you
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:43 am

There is a small boulangerie on the corner close to our place in Rimac with some of the most spectacular pan frances in the entire world made fresh in the morning, closed in the late afternoon and reopened with more fresh pan at around 5 pm local time. Its super cheap too we buy it in huge bags but we have a large family. At the end of the day everyone is fighting over the last rolls and I have a hard time keeping the kids away to use the last of them for hamberguesa a la pobres! Never made bread myself but have a great NY pizza dough recipe laying around somewheres.....
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register