Burgers! (split from cost of living thread)

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Burgers! (split from cost of living thread)

Postby gringolandia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Went to the burger place Papachos in Mira Flores the other night.

Very good burgers.

Super expensive though. I paid 28 soles for the burger (which was pretty large) and 19 soles for a chocolate shake (which was disappointingly tiny).

Pretty good service, at least. The waiter even spoke some English.

There are still plenty of places where you can get a good deal, but there are also plenty of places where you can pay just as much as you would in the US, or MORE.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cost of living in Peru

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:49 am

I think Juicy Lucy beats Papachos hands down!
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Burgers! (split from cost of living thread)

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Yeah, it's a really nice place. I also like their other options such as mac and cheese and there's a long list of veggie burgers with Peruvian twists. I don't think it's expensive, though. Considering it's a Gaston place, the service is excellent and the burgers are high quality, large and the price includes an option of onion rings/jacket potato/fries. I take your point about the milkshake. 19 soles for something skimpy sounds a bit off.

If you go to McDonald's or Bembo's your cheapest and most basic burgers with no additions are between 10-12 soles rising to 30 soles for their kobe burger.

http://biznews.pe/content/cupon-bembos

I haven't tried Juicy Lucy yet, but if Alpineprince thinks it's better than Papacho's, then it must be worth a look.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:25 pm

gringolandia wrote:Pretty good service, at least. The waiter even spoke some English.

What do you mean with the waiter ''even'' spoke some English.

If he didn't, does that mean to you that he's retarded or not good enough?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:34 pm

chi chi wrote:
gringolandia wrote:Pretty good service, at least. The waiter even spoke some English.

Chi chi you are such a wind up merchant and I hope the others do not rise to your bate. I am also grateful when I go to a restaurant and the waiter has a little English.

Thumbs up to good service.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:52 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Chi chi you are such a wind up merchant and I hope the others do not rise to your bate. I am also grateful when I go to a restaurant and the waiter has a little English.

Thumbs up to good service.

Adrian, you have been hanging around in Peru for some time so I don't think that you still need that tourist guide book with some basic Spanish expressions on the back pages and you know more Spanish than the typical British lager lout who holidays at Magaluf or Benidorm and who's knowledge of Spanish language doesn't go further than ''¿dos cervezas, por favor'?

Burgers...good burgers are expensive. My gf often invites me to TGI Fridays and Chillis but they are expensive places. However the burgers are great.

The Mac in Peru has good burgers and the Mac is clean, nice seats, clean toilets and no weirdos hanging around the joint unlike in Europe or the US.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:20 pm

I like my comforts when I go to a restaurant and I have found "Papachos" fits the bill nicely. The quality is good and reasonable value. It is also refreshingly nice when the waiter has a little English. He enjoys the practice and I enjoy listening to his conversations about families adventures.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:46 pm

19 Soles for a milkshake in Peru? Not that long ago it seems even the dollar equivalent of a 14-15 Soles milkshake in an American theme restaurant (which tend to be pricier) was deemed excessive, if not unbelievable, and after trying it, while not suggesting it was worth $5, it was declared to be "pretty #@!%'ng good!" not disappointingly tiny.

jesterperu

Postby jesterperu » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I have tried most of the high budget burger joints around Lima and I think NY Burger does a good job. Bravo offers a pretty good burger too, but it has its bad days as well (kind of hit or miss). Papachos is a bit over the top for a burger, they put too much on them to the point you have to use a knife and fork to eat it. However, their mac and cheese is outstanding. For the budget burger folks, I have had great burgers at both La Lucha and El Enano, both a little on the greasy side, but if I am eating a burger, I am not going for the health benefits. Plus they are pretty quick to get you your order.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:12 am

I'm a fan of NY Burger, especially with their craft beer offerings. Another surprisingly good burger was from Tony Roma's.

I went to Papachos once and won't go back. I told the waiter I wanted it well done, even clarified by saying I wanted no pink inside, and the burger came out RARE. When I complained he said "that is the maximum we can cook it or else it will start to lose flavor". He refused to take it back to be cooked more. (Really).
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:27 pm

I´ve noticed that medium in Peru tends to be rare or medium rare at best, though I don´t mind so much with alpaca. I´ll have to start asking for well.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:58 am

There is a new place on San Martin close to Larco, Taller de Burger. Has anyone tried it?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:33 pm

sbaustin wrote:There is a new place on San Martin close to Larco, Taller de Burger. Has anyone tried it?

We took the kids last Sunday. The concept is that you can choose your type of meat and the different toppings and two kinds of fries. I thought it was a little on the expensive side and the meat wasn´t really that tasty (but I didn´t try the Angus). It is a franchise from Spain. The decor is fine and the kitchen (open kitchen) looked top-notch very professional and staff was friendly and well trained, but overall, I´d only give it a 7 out of 10 considering cost/value. I´d still be willing to go back to give it another try, but not anytime soon.
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:42 pm

I'd say Fridays and Juicy Lucy probably have the better burgers - however, they are quite expensive.
I meant to post here because there are other places around town serving pretty good burgers, and not as expensive - a little more discrete. For instance, Lima Sabrosa is a great place: good burger, fries, and "chicha" combo. La Merced w/ Benavides (Miraflores), and I believe there is another spot. There is also a decent burger to be had at La República (near the Parque Kennedy), although not as good as Lima Sabrosa, IMO. I do recommend stopping at random joints you see when walking around, because they usually equal or surpass the more expensive restaurants (NY Burger, Papachos). I personally stay away from McDonald's and other fast food joints, primarily because of sanitary issues (KFC for instance), but also because the smaller joints usually carry the more "slow food" approach to their burgers.
CruxDeux

Postby CruxDeux » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:18 am

I cannot recommend Twist Burger Bar in Barranco highly enough. They have the most phenomenal hamburgers I've eaten. My mouth waters when I think about a big, fat, juicy burger with aji amarillo and sweet potato mash.
Last edited by CruxDeux on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of the human race than the discovery of a star."
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, CruxDeaux. I wasn't thrilled with Papachos and haven't found a good burger joint yet. I will say the sangucheria in Jockey (next to Makoto, I forget the name) has a fantastic portobello mushroom burger. They also have giant burgers that are free if you can eat the whole thing in a set time period (US marketing thing), but I haven't tried the beef burger there.

Beef in Peru is often horrible, which is odd given that Chile, Argentina and Brazil tend to have fantastic beef.

I've also found that Lima restaurant cooking staff are not consistently trained on the basics, like meat temperature. I ordered a salmon fillet "medium" (at El 10) and it came out cooked on the top, and still frozen on the bottom side. That kind of thing happens far too often, including at Gaston's joints. I've researched the problem and found that basic kitchen staff training is nonexistent in many cases. Ditto for wait staff, who often receive no training at all.

The point being, you really have to cross your fingers when ordering meat at a certain temperature, because it's highly unlikely you will get it the way you expect.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register