Love the street food, even if....

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Love the street food, even if....

Postby timothy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:13 pm

I have a bad habit of being addicted to street food, even though it's sometimes a bit toxic. Problem is: I still delude myself into thinking "If it's hot and just off the fire/grill, it will be safe to eat". Of course, this is not always true.

I have tried street food in every continent except Antarctica, but I'm not going there just to try 'penguin on a stick". My curiosity about food is one of my many downfalls, and I have tried just about everything that people care to eat in public.

But for some mysterious reason I have gotten stomach problems more often in the Andes than anywhere else, and everywhere else combined. And I don't know why. I've gotten giardia half a dozen times, and a couple of really nasty episodes of amoebas. Never in Thailand, only once in all of Asia, but the Andes have been brutal.

Again, I don't know why. One would think that hot animal pieces on a stick cooked over charcoal should be uniformly safe. Boiling hot soup should be safe, but this has not been my experience.

This all bothers me because I'm about to do it all again because I cannot resist trying it all.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Love the street food, even if....

Postby chi chi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:56 pm

The only place I have been sick after eating street food was at a market in Tokyo, Japan.
It was also the first time I ate Sushi.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:47 am

Interesting. I travel the world like you but, unlike you, rarely get ill in Perú. Always thought all that traveling exposed me to all the various strains of bugs, heightening my resistance. Maybe you might want to check out if your immunology has recently dropped, given your story line.

Indeed, I haven't been sick here for many many many years and I eat everywhere because of travel. Last time was like 15 years ago when I got it bad, needed intravenous re-hydration. But not from street food. It was food/water from a nun (was staying in a nunnery). Learned a life lesson: never trust a nun. :)
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 am

teamoperu wrote:Interesting. I travel the world like you but, unlike you, rarely get ill in Perú. Always thought all that traveling exposed me to all the various strains of bugs, heightening my resistance. Maybe you might want to check out if your immunology has recently dropped, given your story line.

Indeed, I haven't been sick here for many many many years and I eat everywhere because of travel. Last time was like 15 years ago when I got it bad, needed intravenous re-hydration. But not from street food. It was food/water from a nun (was staying in a nunnery). Learned a life lesson: never trust a nun. :)

I don't think that a person's immune system helps much when you ingest a few amoebas. When I travel I am reasonably careful with uncooked food and water. My downfall seems to come from those irresistible gourmet things like chicharones and anticuchos. I don't recall ever getting sick down on the coast. Always up in the Andes. It's got me gun-shy, but I cannot imagine going up around Cusco without having a traditional rat-on-a-stick (cuy). It's part of the journey.

You are right about those nuns. Q: Do you know what kind of meat a priest eats on Fridays ?

Nun.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:54 pm

timothy wrote:I cannot imagine going up around Cusco without having a traditional rat-on-a-stick (cuy).

When you are in Vietnam then try this... :shock:

Cockroach on a stick.

co.jpg
co.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 pm

Street food from la Selva:

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.gulantropos.pe/2013/03/de-la ... -suri.html
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:50 am

chi chi wrote:
timothy wrote:I cannot imagine going up around Cusco without having a traditional rat-on-a-stick (cuy).

When you are in Vietnam then try this... :shock:

Cockroach on a stick.

co.jpg

More B.S. These are not cockroaches, they are cicadas. Many Asian countries eat selected insects. Very high in protein, and some aren't that bad. The larvae from the bamboo trees are particularly nice.

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register