Where to buy ingredients (all cuisines)

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Suspiro

Where to buy ingredients (all cuisines)

Postby Suspiro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm struggling to find higher end ingredients such as truffles, mascarpone, etc. Not just for Peruvian cuisine, but also French, Italian, etc.

Clearly the restaurant chefs must be getting such things somewhere in Lima.

Can anyone help?

Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where to buy ingredients (all cuisines)

Postby Bobby » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 am

Hi,

Try:
1-Surquillo market on paseo de la republica (R. Palma bridge)
2-Tiendas Delifrance (Miraflores, Barranco, Surco)
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:59 pm

the wong supermarkets have a special section for food from all over the world. for asian ingredients and kitchen tools I go to the hongkong market located in minka, avenida argentina. there they have a lot of exotic ingredients from asia and other countries. including sushi items. also minka is a great place to buy fresh organic products at low prices.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks, I've tried Wong many times. They never have truffles or mascarpone, for example. The things I am looking for would probably be fresh, not packaged.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Suspiro wrote:Thanks, I've tried Wong many times. They never have truffles or mascarpone, for example. The things I am looking for would probably be fresh, not packaged.

my friend, wong supermarkets have this online store where you can browse items and even make shopping list delivered to your home or to be picked up at the store you select. check it out at https://www.wong.com.pe/FO/supermercados/index.go

I can see this one and only mascarpone brand

Queso Crema Mascarpone - Delice Pote 227 gr. S/.15.50 Uni (Mascarpone cream cheese Delice. 1cup jar)

I've tried this "Delice" brand before, and it is a budget friendly brand, they have their own stores, I visit that one located in minka.

about the truffles... I have never bought them before, as the average joe I am, lol, but I will be looking for them anytime I go buy my ingredients.

Have you checked out this mercadolibre item?

mercadolibre is a website similar to ebay here in latin america, I would help you contact the seller if you want.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.pe/MPE ... umbria-_JM

anyways, they are selling that little jar for $100 more or less.... That must be a good truffle, or the scam of the century, I coulndt tell.

Overall, Lima is a big growing little city, you have to do your little research in order to get what you want. There is always room for a little bit of everything.

Regards.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Found the mascarpone in Vivanda in Miraflores. I had checked all the Wongs I could find, none had it.

Still haven't found truffles, and not a single supermarket had lamb. I can get this at my local butcher, though, but always mutton and not lamb.

I did manage to make a kick ass tiramisu with that mascarpone, though.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:52 am

I´ve never eaten decent lamb in Peru, even at at top end restaurants, untill recently.
I bought some "baby lamb" from the butchers at the agricultural university shops in La Molina, it was exactly what it said on the box, and tasted wonderful.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Where are these agricultural university shops?

I did just find mascarpone in vast quantities at the same Wong I checked last week, when they had none. I am thinking they get huge loads of it, and the restaurants probably buy it up quickly. I bought a few more packs and made another giant tiramisu, but had to settle for the wrong cookies since (today) they didn't have the savoiardi. The headache is that I don't live near miraflores, and it seems that is where you usually find things, unfortunately.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Suspiro wrote:Where are these agricultural university shops?

I did just find mascarpone in vast quantities at the same Wong I checked last week, when they had none. I am thinking they get huge loads of it, and the restaurants probably buy it up quickly. I bought a few more packs and made another giant tiramisu, but had to settle for the wrong cookies since (today) they didn't have the savoiardi. The headache is that I don't live near miraflores, and it seems that is where you usually find things, unfortunately.

The university is in La Molina, here is a link to the website containing information about the products they sell.
http://www.lamolina.edu.pe/cventas/index.html
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:12 am

Believe me when I tell you Miraflores isn't the only place...

Have you visited china town in downtown Lima, or Minka mall near Av. Faucett and the airport? Is amazing the things you can find there.

I know they're not exactly as attractive as Miraflores or Barranco malls, but they have their thing.

Also I wanted to tell you that Wong supermarkets are very well distributed around Lima. IJS
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi,
As has been mentioned, you can try:
- DeliFrance - Barranco, Miraflores, Monterrico;
- Il Pastificio - Surco, Miraflores, La Molina...
- La Sanahoria (small shop - look them up on Facebook) - San Isidro;
- Sometimes the "Mercados biológicos" have some pretty random and surprising stuff, and it might be worth giving them a look;
There are more, but I can't think of them ATM. I will post if I remember any other place. :-)
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks, and yes, please post additional resources if you know of them.

I have not found semolina flour (to make home made pasta) anywhere. That seems to be the toughest thing to find so far.
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:34 am

I'd have to agree about the semolina, it's a shame that it is so hard to find. People look at me like I am mad when I tell them that I am looking for semolina to make pasta :mrgreen:
A few more places to look:
- Garaje Gourmet: Aristides Aljovín 421, Miraflores (near the Marriott Hotel on Larco);
- Deli Sitter Haus: Av Ricardo Palma, Miraflores (near Rep. de Panamá / Ricardo Palma; a few blocks from Markham College);
- Deli . com: Av República de Panamá 5891, Miraflores (near the Chifa Internacional)

Have you been able to find milk curd? I have been on the lookout, in order to make fresh mozzarella, but no luck with that either. I will have to go to the Universidad Agraria market, although it is quite far away.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:41 am

Have you actually found semolina? You said it's hard to find, but did you eventually find a place that sells it?

I am going to have to bring some from the US, and hope bringing bags of white powder INTO Peru doesn't set off the same flags as bringing it OUT of Peru.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:40 am

Interesting update. I just got back from the USA and brought two small bags of semolina pasta flour with me. When I arrived I found both bags cut open, and a TSA notice in my luggage. Apparently the US authorities were checking to see if I was imp orating cocaine INTO Peru! (Or maybe just checking out a suspicious powder?) Anyway, fortunately I had double-bagged the flour, and they didn't completely destroy it the outer bag, but about a half cup of the flour was all over the inside of my luggage. I was able to salvage the rest.

Another thing I have not been able to find is peanut oil, which I use to prepare Asian dishes. Even the Chinese and Japanese shops don't seem to have it. Elsewhere in the world it's pretty common, so I am sure I am missing it. I checked around Chinatown, too.... no luck. Anyone have any ideas on that?
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Found peanut oil in calle capon downtown Lima... it comes 1 liter and a gallon i guess... 20 soles the liter...

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register