Where to find some ingredients - cream, semolina

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Suspiro

Where to find some ingredients - cream, semolina

Postby Suspiro » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

I am having difficulty finding milk in the typical forms found elsewhere. Specifically heavy cream and whipping cream. Obviously cremosita is not the same thing.

I am also looking to buy semolina to prepare home made pasta. Semola is not the same thing, but I can't find semolina.

Help!

rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where to find some ingredients - cream, semolina

Postby rgbjr » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Heavy whipping cream is available in Plaza Vea, Vivanda and Wong. The only thing is you have to search on different days they have it then not for a long period of times.
Bobby :D
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:56 pm

rgbjr wrote:Heavy whipping cream is available in Plaza Vea, Vivanda and Wong. The only thing is you have to search on different days they have it then not for a long period of times.

and you can ask at the store what day that delivery comes in, so you know
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:12 pm

I've never seen it at any of those stores, for years. You're not talking about the canned crema de leche, are you?
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Are you in Lima? Go to wong or any other major supermarket in the dairy section you will find creama de leche (most likely spelled wrong)
I use it all the time it makes great whipped cream.
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi,

I am assuming you mean cream, as in chantilly, perhaps? That I haven't found; however, typical cream is crema de leche, which works pretty much as any cream I've found in europe, and can be found in Wong, Pza Vea...
About the semolina, I myself haven't been able to find any. I have asked around in restaurants, but they apparently just use plain flour and yolks - I've had to use semola which isn't great, but does the job.
If you manage to find semolina, do tell us about it. :-)
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:30 pm

I tried whipping crema de leche once, and it didn't work. I thought I simply had the wrong cream, but maybe there's a trick to it that's different than regular "heavy cream"?

I've used the pre-packaged chantilly cream, and it works, but it's full of chemicals.

No luck with semolina so far. I did try mixing semola and flour, and it came out horrible. Maybe it's a game of finding the right ratio.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:11 pm

in Makro stores they sell a cream that I found to be the nicest so far... I've seen it in other places, it comes in a blue bag... really easy to mount and it stays firm forever :lol:

I will let you know

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register