how much do you spend on menu?

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

how much do you spend on menu?

Postby caliguy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:56 pm

in Balconcillo prices range from 6 soles up to and beyond 20 soles. there are places i've eaten for 6 soles but the quality and cleanliness is a little iffy. so now i found a place that's 9 soles, and it's fantastic. it's not the usual chicken, rice and potato plate. this place is different (in a good way).
Here's what you get:
appetizer
order of french bread
main course
salad
lemonade
if you're ever in Balconcillo, i would highly recommend this place.
Attachments
004.JPG
menu
004.JPG (313.24 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
003.JPG
lightly battered fish
003.JPG (452.04 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
002.JPG
chicken soup
002.JPG (439.35 KiB) Viewed 4268 times

every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: how much do you spend on menu?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Best cheap eats I've had in Lima was Tai-i on Petit Thouars, although it wasn't by any means remotely close to the best food I've had in Lima. The place itself is nothing special, a bit rough around the edges, but the food was okayish and I never got ill, which can be a problem in Lima's cheap (and some not so cheap) restaurants. I also found it a bit heavy on the carbs, but the price was unbeatable. Also as it's vegetarian, I never worried about what exactly I was eating for this price. The last time I went, it was 6.5 soles for the menu del dia.

https://www.facebook.com/VegetarianoTaii
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:33 pm

this is my daily go to restaurant. we almost never eat at home due to convenience. for less than 3 usd, i would prefer eating out. i have been to several places in around metro Lima. San Isidro also has good food at reasonable prices. beware of eating in Breña though, it's cheap, but be on the lookout for a baño shortly thereafter.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:16 pm

After foolishly spending over USD100 on a mediocre buffet breakfast at the Marriott in retrospect the best breakfast I had was at the mercado in Callao. Pan con chicharron and freshly made fruit juice for two for PEN18. A delicious meal I won't forget soon.

Also purchased fresh corvina for PEN20/kg at the mercado to cook at home for lunch. It Was PEN83/kg at Vivanda on Pezet in San Isidro on the same day

There is currently a crime-related state of emergency in Callao. The only crimes are the Vivanda and Marriott prices.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Dear oh dear caliguy, my wife and I live and eat out at Brena all the time without problems and have done for several years. We probably do not go to the $/.6.00 restaurants much these days but anything around $/. 8-20 mark. I find one of the biggest problems here is you pay $/.17-20 soles, eat as much as you can and take enough home for at least another 1 1/2 meals. One restaurant, El Pino, give you a second empty plate to help cope with the size of the serving.

As with randomperson, one of our local mercados, has heaps of fresh juice and food for very reasonable prices.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:57 pm

And to boot, near the mercado, is a bakery with the most extraordinarily fantastic house-made besos de moza chocolate desserts I have ever tasted.

I think that set me back another 6 soles.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Dear oh dear caliguy, my wife and I live and eat out at Brena all the time without problems and have done for several years. We probably do not go to the $/.6.00 restaurants much these days but anything around $/. 8-20 mark. I find one of the biggest problems here is you pay $/.17-20 soles, eat as much as you can and take enough home for at least another 1 1/2 meals. One restaurant, El Pino, give you a second empty plate to help cope with the size of the serving.

i'm sure there are good places to eat in Breña. when i'm with my (frugal) Peruvian family, they tend to gravitate toward the lower price menu's. obviously they are cutting corners somewhere to offer such a cheap meal. how much profit can one make on 6 soles?
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:16 pm

6 soles times 200, 300, ????? 500??? They have done the math and it does profit a lot. I know people in that business.

Remember they dont buy ingredients in vivanda or wong... Anything below 10 soles make sense to me, I usually pay 7 when I have to eat a 'menu'.

randomperson wrote:After foolishly spending over USD100 on a mediocre buffet breakfast at the Marriott in retrospect the best breakfast I had was at the mercado in Callao. Pan con chicharron and freshly made fruit juice for two for PEN18. A delicious meal I won't forget soon.

Also purchased fresh corvina for PEN20/kg at the mercado to cook at home for lunch. It Was PEN83/kg at Vivanda on Pezet in San Isidro on the same day

There is currently a crime-related state of emergency in Callao. The only crimes are the Vivanda and Marriott prices.

and yes, the best ones are those located in the big or small markets... The caldo de cabeza, or caldo de mote... Jeesus, it just blow my mind, Im salivating right now :lol: :lol: :lol:
El Jefe

Postby El Jefe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:52 pm

caliguy wrote:this is my daily go to restaurant. we almost never eat at home due to convenience. for less than 3 usd, i would prefer eating out. i have been to several places in around metro Lima. San Isidro also has good food at reasonable prices. beware of eating in Breña though, it's cheap, but be on the lookout for a baño shortly thereafter.

That's what nappies are for.
symby a wonk

Postby symby a wonk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:11 pm

caliguy wrote:how much profit can one make on 6 soles?

I was used to run a menu place at a mercado. The menu price was 4 soles. Half of turnover went to food, staff and rent. I had on average 150 customers a day. I opened 6 days a week from 7 am to 3pm. Nett profit was 1800 a week or more than 7200 a month. Not a bad paycheck in Peru.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:28 pm

:lol:
symby a wonk wrote:
caliguy wrote:how much profit can one make on 6 soles?

I was used to run a menu place at a mercado. The menu price was 4 soles. Half of turnover went to food, staff and rent. I had on average 150 customers a day. I opened 6 days a week from 7 am to 3pm. Nett profit was 1800 a week or more than 7200 a month. Not a bad paycheck in Peru.

That's terrific. What happened?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:57 am

The goblins took him away for telling fairy tales.
hatchepsut
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby hatchepsut » Mon May 23, 2016 8:17 am

Menu places aren't as cheap as you think.

I cook at home. A lot cheaper and at least I know what's put in my food. And my kitchen and toilet is clean.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:25 am

In Lima I never spend more than s./7 for Menu and normally S./5. This is mostly at our local market where the locals eat and there are plenty of choices and the food is better than anywhere I have eaten in miraflores. With the one exception of a very fine chateaubriand I enjoyed at the larcomar one time but even that was s./30. It helps to avoid the touron locations I find to really experience the best of what Peru has to offer. bon appetite!
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:13 am

So many people don't realize you can get a full menu for 5 soles; you just have to look!
These "Mom & Pop" places are always very friendly & remember you.
With the strong $, this is equal to $1.50; which may not even buy you a standard coffee in the US.
Thanks for sharing. :lol:
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:31 pm

I found a wonderful restaurant here in Tacna. I ate there every day for a month for 6 soles per meal. Unfortunately, I came down with a bad case of parasites. I have returned to my routine of eating only at home.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:53 pm

jhand8pp4 wrote:I found a wonderful restaurant here in Tacna. I ate there every day for a month for 6 soles per meal. Unfortunately, I came down with a bad case of parasites. I have returned to my routine of eating only at home.

Smart move.
Makes no sense to save money eating questionably prepared food only to have to turn around and spend it on meds.
Large and in charge!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:36 pm

Never been a fan of La Menu meals. I'd much rather cook at home and make a lot better meal as menus are rarely worth the money you pay for them. Usually i'd pay 6 soles to eat in or 8 soles to take out. I just don't think Menu meals are nice in anyway at all.

I've never had a problem with being sick off them. The usual ones i went to have always had the kitchen in view and they have always been tidy and the owners very friendly.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1472786619334.jpg
FB_IMG_1472786619334.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
FB_IMG_1472786495448.jpg
FB_IMG_1472786495448.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
FB_IMG_1472786580216.jpg
FB_IMG_1472786580216.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 2985 times

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register