Pizza flour?

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Ouroboros

Pizza flour?

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi all,
I've been around most bakeries and shops in town, but I haven't been able to find good pizza caliber flour (read: Caputo, Manitoba, Divella). Any idea where I could find some? Or do I have to import/ bring a few kilos back from my next trip abroad :( :( ?

rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pizza flour?

Postby rgbjr » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:26 am

Hi I see PIZZA flour in places like Wong and Plaza Via. I do not know if that is what you are looking for.
Thank you
Bobby :D
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi Bobby,
Firstly, thank you for your answer. I suppose you mean the "Riscossa per Pizza 00" flour: it is the one I use at the moment, lack of a better alternative. :(
I've tried the "Italian" shops but no luck thus far. I think I'll go ahead and ask around at pizzerias.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Have you tried good quality plain flower? Lots of Italians use plain flower. The added price of pizza flower is just smart marketing imho.
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 pm

I have tried plain flour. However, the issue isn't so much that it is "pizza flour" or "bread flour" or whatnot, but rather the strength of the flour. Usually, "pizza" flour is stronger, because it can stand longer fermentation times (think 48+ hours), which is why it is desirable. I am aware that many italians use regular flour, with great results; however, the fact that plain flour cannot hold long fermentations makes its use limiting.
I agree that pizza flour is mostly smart marketing, provided a) it is used as if it were plain flour; b) it is used without concern of its actual perks; or c) it isn't really pizza flour, but rather normal flour with another label, which is precisely not what I am after. :mrgreen:
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:06 am

How does fermented pizza beer taste, anyway? ;-)
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:52 pm

gringolandia wrote:How does fermented pizza beer taste, anyway? ;-)

Haha! :mrgreen:
Well, it tastes like... pizza :mrgreen: I enjoy fermenting my dough, and I do taste a difference, depending on how long the dough ferments. The dough is slacker (easier to work with), more digestible, and doesn't taste like bread. However, it might just be me. I try to get as close as possible to neapolitan style pizza :mrgreen:
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 am

Plain enriched white flour is all the real pie shops use in NYC...
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register