Do Expat (or Travelers) like Salsa de Aji (chilli pepper sauce) ?

Peruvian food. Yum! It is not why we came, but it´s why we stay. Let´s talk about restaurants, ingredients, recipes and more.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do Expat (or Travelers) like Salsa de Aji (chilli pepper sauce) ?

Postby windsportinperu » Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm

After living some weeks (months, years or decades) in Peru, Do you think you like (or miss) Peru style chilli pepper sauces ?

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Do Expat (or Travelers) like Salsa de Aji (chilli pepper sauce) ?

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 am

Totally love the stuff, it's brilliant!. I've not always been the biggest fan of Peruvian foods as I thought it could be really bland and boring at times (Lomo Saltado, arroz con pollo, huancaina based dishes, almost any other stewed dish with boiled potatos or white rice).

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many countries that does dipping sauces as well as Peru. There's nothing better than getting a good bit of steak, pork or pollo a la brasa with those dipping sauces lie Salsa de Aji, Huancaina, Peruvian mayo and chimichurri! Huancaina can be really hit and miss sometimes. It can be the best sauce you've ever had when it's done right but the most dullest when not, which is usually when it's used to cover pasta or potatos. It tends to have a lot more flavour when it's just a dip.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed May 09, 2018 8:11 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Totally love the stuff, it's brilliant!. I've not always been the biggest fan of Peruvian foods as I thought it could be really bland and boring at times (Lomo Saltado, arroz con pollo, huancaina based dishes, almost any other stewed dish with boiled potatos or white rice).

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many countries that does dipping sauces as well as Peru. There's nothing better than getting a good bit of steak, pork or pollo a la brasa with those dipping sauces lie Salsa de Aji, Huancaina, Peruvian mayo and chimichurri! Huancaina can be really hit and miss sometimes. It can be the best sauce you've ever had when it's done right but the most dullest when not, which is usually when it's used to cover pasta or potatos. It tends to have a lot more flavour when it's just a dip.

The problem is where to get a good steak or roast beef & not some tough as shoe leather horse meat to use the dips on.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 10, 2018 3:48 am

Usually with steak it involves having to go to an expensive restaurant but those restaurants make the best dips as well. I've never been overly impressed beef from the markets, same goes for potatos.

Salsa Criolla is another great sauce. It's almost exactly the same as one of the Indian dips you get in the restaurants back home in the U.K but you get the onions, chili and lime served with corriander instead and it's usually gets served with tandoori or other grilled chicken.

I'm working in take aways at the moment, Iranian spots that can do some really good grilled chicken but they lack the dips to go with it! All i can think is that someone would make an absolute killing business wise if they served up the chicken with Salsa de Aji or other Peruvian salsas!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri May 11, 2018 11:42 am

The comments about the Tandoori Chicken sound interesting.

There are very good "pollerias" out there in Lima. And a good pollo a la Brasa without dipping sauces could be boring

Return to “Peruvian Cuisine”

Login  •  Register