Playa Punta Negra - not really recommended

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Playa Punta Negra - not really recommended

Postby mrsteak » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Our daily trip today was to Punta Negra.

There is a large beach over there, some restaurants and even hostels. However what I noticed compared to previous year they have raised the prices nearly by 50% for food - it is quite insane. Chicharon de pescado s/45, it was s/30 last year!

The water was also very dirty. Seems lot of gutters are drained just into the sea in that area. Lot of dirty yellowish foam floating on the ocean. The sand contains lot of garbage, apparently they never sieve the sand like on major beaches in EU. No life guard though. :!:

The only advantage of that place is that it is not really crowded even in the summer. So if you can live with all the garbage it is one of the closest places to Lima that is not overcrowded.

Btw the traffic was horrible. Around 12pm took us 1.5 hrs to reach the beach from Surco - for 37km distance it is just insane.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Playa Punta Negra - not really recommended

Postby Alan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Try Punta Rocas, Silencio or Punta Hermoza, and try leaving at 10am. Mid-day traffic to the south is terrible on Sundays this time of year.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm

We were actually between Punta Negra and Punta Rocas - same thing Alan.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Sorry... I meant to say "Pulpos". Wicked waves, though, and there is no food available at beach level.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Alan wrote:Sorry... I meant to say "Pulpos". Wicked waves, though, and there is no food available at beach level.

Pulpos is flooded with E.Coli (poop) according to Peruvian TV...
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Wow. That's really unfortunate. I was only there a few weeks ago.. glad I didn't swallow any water.

BTW, for those who are interested, a list of the contaminated beaches. https://peru21.pe/lima/verano-2018-aler ... tas-395413

Thankfully there are still many more to choose from though.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:51 pm

I think everything down to Asia is just diluted poop... poop stays poop no matter how much you dilute it :cry:
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 pm

mrsteak wrote:Our daily trip today was to Punta Negra.

There is a large beach over there, some restaurants and even hostels. However what I noticed compared to previous year they have raised the prices nearly by 50% for food - it is quite insane. Chicharon de pescado s/45, it was s/30 last year!

The water was also very dirty. Seems lot of gutters are drained just into the sea in that area. Lot of dirty yellowish foam floating on the ocean. The sand contains lot of garbage, apparently they never sieve the sand like on major beaches in EU. No life guard though. :!:

The only advantage of that place is that it is not really crowded even in the summer. So if you can live with all the garbage it is one of the closest places to Lima that is not overcrowded.

Btw the traffic was horrible. Around 12pm took us 1.5 hrs to reach the beach from Surco - for 37km distance it is just insane.

Sounds like Torremolinos or Ibiza. But thank God, without the British lager louts
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm

In Spain they at least sieve the sand from time to time on main beaches. In Peru all the dirt is left over for ever :evil:
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

mrsteak wrote:In Spain they at least sieve the sand from time to time on main beaches. In Peru all the dirt is left over for ever :evil:

Rubbish is everywhere in Peru. Though, there are many cleaners and waste collection. But half an hour later, it's full of rubbish again.
And that's not just in Lima but almost everywhere. Also in the smaller cities.
Besides that, rubbish is dumped everywhere in the country side.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register