Need your input reg Peru Itinerary. Thanks.

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

uday029

Need your input reg Peru Itinerary. Thanks.

Postby uday029 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a 10-day trip to Peru in early December. We have 9 nights but we are flying out early on the last day. We are budget friendly travelers but can occasionally willing to splurge. We tend to stretch our days as much as we can to accommodate more stuff. We do that since our jobs do not allow us to take much time off and we got to make max use of what we have. We are mostly interested in visiting archaeological sites, some must-do day hikes, and have a little emphasis on photography opportunities. I have prepared a basic skeleton based on my preliminary research. I wanted to get some input before I proceed with some detailed planning (rushed or slow)?

Day 1 – Arrive in Lima early in the morning (before 9AM). Planning to take a flight to Cusco the same afternoon. Arrive in Cusco by evening. Do some local sightseeing and relax for the evening. Day 1 Qus: Do you recommend flying to Cusco soon after we land in Lima or fly the next day?

Day 2 – Do the sacred valley taxi tour (Pisac, Maras, Urubamba, and Ollantaytambo) and tale one of the last trains to Agua Calientes. Day 2 Qus: Do you recommend staying overnight in Ollantaytambo and taking early morning train to Maachu Pichu?

Day 3 – Maachu Pichu. Sleep in Agua Calientes

Day 4 – Back in Cusco. Local sightseeing. Sleep in Cusco.

OPTION 1: Amazon Forest

Day 5 – Fly into Puerto Maldonado

Day 6 and Day 7 – Amazon Rain Forest (Still undecided as to which one to pick. Any suggestions?)

Day 8 – Fly to Lima. Explore Lima for rest of the trip. May be do Nazca Lines tour on one of the days.

Option 1 Qus: Is it recommended to travel to Amazon in early December?

OPTION 2:

Day 5 – Fly to either Cajamarca or Jaen

Day 6 and Day 7 – Explore Chachapoya region and visit Kuélap

Day 8 – Fly to Lima. Explore Lima for rest of the trip. May be do Nazca Lines tour on one of the days.

I know this feels very rushed. But I do have 1.5 days in Lima (Day 8, Day 9). If I have to extend any other things then I was planning to cut short my time in Lima by 1 day.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions regarding this itinerary. Also, any other suggestions for sights/activities/day trips/off-the-beaten tracks that might not be mentioned in the guidebooks.

Thank you for your time.

chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Need your input reg Peru Itinerary. Thanks.

Postby chante » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:18 pm

For arriving in Cusco and exploring the City and area it's important to consider the altitude, you might be okay or have an adverse effect - from mild to severe and unless you've experienced high altitudes before there's no way of knowing in advance how you'll react. (General fitness is not an a good predictor).

An alternative itinerary would be to fly to Arequipa from Lima, spend a day exploring the city and help you adjust to the altitude (it's not as high as Cusco)). From there you can take side trips to Puno, the Colca Canyon and then to Cusco and Machu Picchu and do the sacred valley taxi tour, returning to Lima from Cusco.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 am

A FEW ANSWERS BELOW IN ALL-CAPS

uday029 wrote:Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a 10-day trip to Peru in early December. We have 9 nights but we are flying out early on the last day. We are budget friendly travelers but can occasionally willing to splurge. We tend to stretch our days as much as we can to accommodate more stuff. We do that since our jobs do not allow us to take much time off and we got to make max use of what we have. We are mostly interested in visiting archaeological sites, some must-do day hikes, and have a little emphasis on photography opportunities. I have prepared a basic skeleton based on my preliminary research. I wanted to get some input before I proceed with some detailed planning (rushed or slow)?

Day 1 – Arrive in Lima early in the morning (before 9AM). Planning to take a flight to Cusco the same afternoon. Arrive in Cusco by evening. Do some local sightseeing and relax for the evening. Day 1 Qus: Do you recommend flying to Cusco soon after we land in Lima or fly the next day?

COULD DO IT THE SAME DAY, BUT BE AWARE THAT THE ALTITUDE OF CUZCO CAN SLOW YOU DOWN. EAT VERY, VERY LIGHTLY.

Day 2 – Do the sacred valley taxi tour (Pisac, Maras, Urubamba, and Ollantaytambo) and tale one of the last trains to Agua Calientes. Day 2 Qus: Do you recommend staying overnight in Ollantaytambo and taking early morning train to Maachu Pichu?

THERE IS A BRILLIANT 3 TO 4 HOUR HIKE RIGHT OUTSIDE OF PISAC. YOU TAXI UP A MOUNTAIN AND HIKE DOWN THE RIDGE, PAST SPECTACULAR RUINS, RIGHT INTO PISAC. YOU COULD SPEND THE NIGHT THERE. THERE IS NICE HOTEL RIGHT ON THE SQUARE.

SPEND THE NEXT DAY AND NIGHT IN OLLANTAYTAMBO. HIKE THE RUINS FACING AFTER YOU HAVE VISITED THE PRINCIPAL RUINS. A NICE 2 HOUR JAUNT WITH TREMENDOUS VIEWS OF THE VALLEY. TAKE THE EARLY TRAIN.

Day 3 – Maachu Pichu. Sleep in Agua Calientes

TAKE A MISS ON AGUAS CALIENTES.

Day 4 – Back in Cusco. Local sightseeing. Sleep in Cusco.

OPTION 1: Amazon Forest

Day 5 – Fly into Puerto Maldonado

CAN'T SPEAK TO THIS AS I HAVE NEVER BEEN.

Day 6 and Day 7 – Amazon Rain Forest (Still undecided as to which one to pick. Any suggestions?)

LIMA IS A 2 TO THREE DAY STAY, AND YOU WILL BE QUITE BUSY. SPEND TIME DOWNTOWN. SEE THE SAN FRANCISCO CATACUMBS, THE CATHEDRAL, THE DOMINICAN CONVENT. IN MY OPINION,

WALK THE WATERFRONT IN MIRAFLORES, ICE CREAM OR COFFEE IN LARCO MAR, THEN WALK ON TO BARRANCO. SEE THE SUSPIRO BRIDGE, WALK ON TO THE PEDRO DE OSMA MUSEUM.

ANOTHER DAY, WALK AREQUIPA FROM MIRAFLORES TO THE HUACA PUCCLANA. PRE-COLONIAL RUINS. IS YOU WANT TO SPLASH SOME CASH, THEY HAVE VERY NICE RESTAURANT ON THE GROUNDS, ESPECIALLY ATTRACTIVE AT NIGHT BECAUSE THE RUINS ARE ILLUMINATED.

IN ALL THESE LOCATIONS, SPEND A LITTLE BIT (ITS NEVER VERY MUCH) AND GET A TOUR GUIDE. ESPECIALLY AT THE PEDRO DE OSMA MUSEUM, THE CATHEDRAL AND THE CONVENT.

BY THE WAY, THE ARCHBISHOPS OFFICE I

Option 1 Qus: Is it recommended to travel to Amazon in early December?

OPTION 2:

Day 5 – Fly to either Cajamarca or Jaen

IT IS A RAIN-RAISING, BUT BEAUTIFUL BUS TRIP FROM CAJAMARCA, BUT IF MEMORY SERVES, IT IS A FULL DAY, AND THE BUSES MAYT NOT BE VERY NICE. CAJAMARCA IS A NICE TOWN, AND YOU CAN SEE WHERE ATAHUALPA WAS CAPTURED BY PIZARRO. OTHER THAN THAT THOUGH, NOT TOO MUCH THERE. I´VE NEVER BEEN TO JAEN, BUT KNOW THAT IT IS ONLY FOUR HOURS FROM CHACHAPOYAS.

Day 6 and Day 7 – Explore Chachapoya region and visit Kuélap

KUELAP IS GOOD, BUT I UNDERSTAND THE NEW CABLE CAR SYSTEM WAS KNOCKED OUT BY LIGHTNING AND HAS NOT BEEN FIXED, WHICH MAKES IT A FULL DAY. SEE THE WATERFALLS AND SEE THE MOMIES ON THE HILLSIDE. NICE PLACE TO RIDE A HORSE.

IF YOU DO NAZCA, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HOP ONE OF THE PLANES THAT FLY OVER THE LINES. IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO APPRECIATE THEM.

I know this feels very rushed. But I do have 1.5 days in Lima (Day 8, Day 9). If I have to extend any other things then I was planning to cut short my time in Lima by 1 day.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions regarding this itinerary. Also, any other suggestions for sights/activities/day trips/off-the-beaten tracks that might not be mentioned in the guidebooks.

Thank you for your time.
uday029

Postby uday029 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Thank you very much for your inputs. I think I planned a very aggressive schedule. I should probably take it a little slow and have some buffer time in case things change in last minute. I think I am going to scrap both my options since both of them require significant amount of time to reach the destinations. Instead I might spend a little more time in Lima and may be do Nazca Lines day trip. Another option is to fly for a quick 2 day trip to Trujillo or Arequipa.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register