Car rental in Lima to Ica and Nazca?

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

uday029

Car rental in Lima to Ica and Nazca?

Postby uday029 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 am

Is it advisable to rent a car for trip to Ica and Nazca lines? We would like to have the flexibility of stopping/pulling over for photography purposes. Plan is to rent a car in Lima and travel to Paracas, Ica, Huacachina, and eventually to Nazca Lines. I think having your own car gives quite a bit of flexibility specially if we want to arrive/depart early or late to a place.

We have driven car in places like India and Mexico without any issues. What car rental companies would you recommend?

Thanks.

woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Car rental in Lima to Ica and Nazca?

Postby woodchuck » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Do you have to have a Peruvian driver's license or can you drive as a tourist?
What are the fees for the vehicle & SOAT?
Thanks.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 am

You can rent a car as a tourist! I would book with one of the european "booking sites" as they seem to include all insurance at no additional cost.
uday029

Postby uday029 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you for your replies. I have been advised by many on other forums not to drive in Peru. Is it seriously as bad as it is portrayed? I can understand that driving in mountainous regions can be a little dangerous, but is is also not advisable to do day time driving between Lima and Ica/Nazca? Also, is Panamericana Sur prone to deadly accidents and robberies? I would love to drive around the beautiful coastline but I am a little scared after reading all the forums.
I am perfectly ok driving in chaotic traffic since I have driven in Mexico and India before.
Thanks.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 pm

I have driven here for close go 15 years. It's a little funky, but not as bad as you have been advised. The route to Ica is pretty decent, and even at night you should not have a problem. The problem is other traffic, not the thieves. That said, there are other places in Peru where I would not drive at night, due to possibility of crime, but the Panamericana should be just fine.

Busses here are comfortable and inexpensive, by the way. It's another good option. Once you get to where you are going you can cab, also cheap.

But if you want to drive, and you know hw to use Google maps, and have a spirit of adventure, go for it! :)
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 pm

uday029 wrote: driving in mountainous regions can be a little dangerous, but is is also not advisable to do day time driving between Lima and Ica/Nazca?

Lima-Ica-Nazca is not mountainous regions and the highway is in perfect conditions

Do you speak spanish ?
uday029

Postby uday029 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Thank you again for your replies. This gives me confidence in renting a car.
@windsportinperu, I do not speak Spanish. Is that going to be an issue? I was planning to use google translate for basic translations.
Also, do you guys have any recommendations as to good rental agencies? I reserved a car from Sixt in Miraflores.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 pm

As long as the rental agency has bilingual staff, you'll be fine. The only other time you might need to communicate is when you gas up. By the way, that process is very simple here as there are always attendants on hand to fill your tank. Just say:

Tanque lleno, por favor. (full tank please) (by the way, "lleno" is pronounced "yeno")
Just point to the pump that has the octane you require.

They will ask "boleta of factura?" (two different kinds of receipts, a "factura" is required if you want to applythe expense to your taxes in Peru.. not your case, so answer "Boleta, por favor".

Payment will be accepted in cash, or credit card. In this case, the POS swipe will be brought out to you.

You should not have any problems. Have fun!

Ahh.. yes, one more thing. There will be a few tolls on the way. Prices are clearly marked, but bring along some small bills (Peruvian currency) to make the payments.
uday029

Postby uday029 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Thank you very much, Alan. That is very useful information. I am looking to rent a car from Sixt in Miraflores. I am hoping that someone there would be able to speak english considering that Miraflores is frequented by travelers. I appreciate your help.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register