Tarapoto to Pedro Ruiz (for Gocta Falls)

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Andywalters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tarapoto to Pedro Ruiz (for Gocta Falls)

Postby Andywalters » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi all,
Well we had planned to go to Tingo Maria as per my previous post but have now changed our minds and are booked to fly to Tarapoto. One of the main reasons for this is to see Kuelap and the Gocta Falls (and especially the Gocta Falls Lodge) and I wondered if anyone has up to date knowledge of how to get from Tarapoto to Pedro Ruiz, Movil Tours doesn`t seem to do it despite various internet entries to the contrary, Civa are really expensive and I can`t get GHbus to work, collectivos booked locally, turismo selva??...so any local or expert knowledge gratefully received. We would like to leave on Saturday early morning if poss
Thanks
Andy

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tarapoto to Pedro Ruiz (for Gocta Falls)

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Andy,

We did it a few years ago, spending the night in Moyobamba because we wanted to take things slow. There are lots of local bus companies that will take you along all the spurs of the route. The terminals will be listed in your guide book. It was a beautiful trip by bus... stunning landscapes...and Chachapoyas -with all it has to offer- was well worth the hours it took to get there.

BTW, a fun day trip that is just beginning to get the recognition it deserves is the Quiocta Cavern. If you have the chance, check it out: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... egion.html

Have fun!
Andywalters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tarapoto to Pedro Ruiz (for Gocta Falls)

Postby Andywalters » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks Alan, will definitely go and see the caves, my middle name should be "caves and waterfalls"! I thought it might be local buses, i`m afraid my guide books got left back in the UK when I left for good and my Peruvian one is so-so but I`m sure we`ll be able to sort it out when there, our hotel in Cocachimba is booked for the day after we land so will have to do it in one day but thanks for the tip re Moyobamba. Can`t wait to leave the filth of Lima behind for a week :D
ps any other tips gratefully received

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register