San Martin

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

La Tortuga

San Martin

Postby La Tortuga » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 pm

How safe would you say this part of Lima is for a white woman and child?

asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: San Martin

Postby asgp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I live here :roll:

San Martin is a big district, but if you are like me and go for a safe and family frienly area you will look for the limit with Downtown Lima. I won't encorage you to live here, because this district is not so nice to look at, it is not precisely beautiful. I live here for a number of reasons out of my hands, in a couple mothns I'll be ready to move for a more green district.

We have all services here as well, Malls, supermarkets, transport, you name it... And yes, I have to mention the airport is so close you can go simply walking... That is a pro!

The bad thing is the distance to the sea, and sadly the unconscious people who throw any kind of crap to the floor, I mean, the city clean all day long, but there are A LOT of people who simply wont use a trash bin and prefer use the floor for that purpose...

Kind regards.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:42 pm

La Tortuga wrote:How safe would you say this part of Lima is for a white woman and child?

It's not the nicest part of town. If you can afford it, move to another area. If you are on a budget, then try to find a place in San Miguel. It's far nicer than San Martin de Porres and safer. With a bit of luck, you might find something affordable in Jesus Maria or Pueblo Libre.

If you are on a very tight budget then move to Los Olivos. It's a little bit nicer than San Martin de Torres and the rental prices are in the same price range.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Cactus fan wrote:
La Tortuga wrote:How safe would you say this part of Lima is for a white woman and child?

It's not the nicest part of town. If you can afford it, move to another area. If you are on a budget, then try to find a place in San Miguel. It's far nicer than San Martin de Porres and safer. With a bit of luck, you might find something affordable in Jesus Maria or Pueblo Libre.

If you are on a very tight budget then move to Los Olivos. It's a little bit nicer than San Martin de Torres and the rental prices are in the same price range.
Villa El Salvador is another district that I recommend if you are on a budget. I've been there many times. My gf is from there. Villa El Salvador has been improving a lot in the last few years. Many streets got paved. It's very commercial. Loads of shops and businesses. People are very friendly and most of them are from the provinces. During the day it's safe. After dark, I wouldn't venture of the main roads but that applies for the rest of Lima as well.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register