Foreign passport dual national child

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

asgoodasitgets
Gold Member
Gold Member

Foreign passport dual national child

Postby asgoodasitgets » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 am

Hey everyone,

My wife and I have agreed that I will take my son to live with me in Australia for six months until she comes to join us. He is Australian born, and arrived in Peru on an Australian passport, as a tourist, but that was over two years ago. He has since been registered with Peruvian authorities and so is a dual national but does not have a Peruvian passport (which would take some time to get as I understand it). My questions is, if I want to leave Peru with him on his Australian passport will he need to pay the "late" immigration fee of $1 per day for every day "overstayed" on his original visitor visa? Or will I be able to show his DNI and leave without paying (because obviously he is not actually on a visitor visa anymore, and presumably the DNI would be evidence of that)? I know this is a complex question but I hoped someone might have the answer. I am going to ask immigration as well, but sometimes one gets the wrong answers even there, and I wondered if someone might have some first hand knowledge on this.

Second question, do we need to get the notarised "permisso" from my wife in order for us to pass immigration without her or is that not necessary if he is travelling with me on his Australian passport?

Complex situation I know that's why I thought I would ask and hope someone has some information on this.

Many thanks!

The Foundation of a Free Society is Freedom of Speech.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Foreign passport dual national child

Postby Cactus fan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:29 am

asgoodasitgets wrote:Hey everyone,

Second question, do we need to get the notarised "permisso" from my wife in order for us to pass immigration without her or is that not necessary if he is travelling with me on his Australian passport?

Complex situation I know that's why I thought I would ask and hope someone has some information on this.

Many thanks!

Just to play it safe, I were you, I would get the permisso as he's the child of a Peruvian citizen.

The permisso will cost less money than that they refuse him to board the flight. Airlines don't refund fares if people show up at the airport without the correct visas, travel documents,... It's the responsibility of the passenger to get his paperwork in order. And flights to Australia aren't cheap so you will lose a lot of money.

And I would also ask the Australian immigration services what the procedure is. If you arrive with your child in Australia they might ask about where the mother is. If the mother is foreign and doesn't live in Australia, then they might hassle you about that.
asgoodasitgets
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Foreign passport dual national child

Postby asgoodasitgets » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for your reply good points.
The Foundation of a Free Society is Freedom of Speech.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register