Bringing expensive gifts to Peru

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

Doc_Boogie

Bringing expensive gifts to Peru

Postby Doc_Boogie » Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 pm

I am flying to Lima, Peru on May 11, 2018, to marry my beautiful fiancee. I am bringing my suit, her wedding dress, various other dresses and negligees, plus some nice jewelry to go with them. She is already warning me that if the gifts are over $1000. I will get taxed heavily. She suggests I hide the jewelry in my shoes in the suitcase. I don't want to spend twice as much on the jewelry with all their taxes, and I don't want it stolen, if they find it rummaging through the suitcase. My friend suggests shipping them there, but won't customs open it and charge me taxes? Or steal it? This is my 1st international flight, and I could use some suggestions folks! Thanks!

FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bringing expensive gifts to Peru

Postby FDiH » Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 am

1. Do not send it by post or even a courier service. Chances are a lot higher that the parcel will be opened for inspection.

2. I have never been checked at the airport. That of course does not mean you will not be checked but I would just take my chances. I usually bring a lot of stuff from Europe (laptops and electronic equipment, new clothes, etc). Never had a problem.

3. Don't declare anything at the airport. If they do stop you, just pretend you didn't know. Hide the jewelry really well in the checked-in luggage. Try to smooth talk your way through. Getting married to your lovely Peruvian wife. Can't wait to eat Peruvian foods, blah, blah...

4. Use the sealing option at the departure airport to properly plastic seal the suitcase.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm

http://www.newperuvian.com/peruvian-cus ... into-peru/

I have brought in stuff, and just told them it is personal and will be leaving with me. But not might fly with the negligee. :) Normally a smile and nice greeting has gotten me trough most questions at customs.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed May 02, 2018 2:10 pm

captcosmic wrote:http://www.newperuvian.com/peruvian-customs-regulations-can-cant-bring-into-peru/

I have brought in stuff, and just told them it is personal and will be leaving with me. But not might fly with the negligee. :) Normally a smile and nice greeting has gotten me trough most questions at customs.

Some guys wear negligee.
Just sayin'.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed May 02, 2018 5:03 pm

What are you afraid of? just follow the established Peruvian laws and you will be fine. Why do you want to try and deceive authorities?
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Doc_Boogie wrote:I am flying to Lima, Peru on May 11, 2018, to marry my beautiful fiancee. I am bringing my suit, her wedding dress, various other dresses and negligees, plus some nice jewelry to go with them. She is already warning me that if the gifts are over $1000. I will get taxed heavily. She suggests I hide the jewelry in my shoes in the suitcase. I don't want to spend twice as much on the jewelry with all their taxes, and I don't want it stolen, if they find it rummaging through the suitcase. My friend suggests shipping them there, but won't customs open it and charge me taxes? Or steal it? This is my 1st international flight, and I could use some suggestions folks! Thanks!

You could have bought all that stuff in Gamarra and saved yourself a lot of headaches and worry.
Not to mention money.
Large and in charge!
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 pm

You're allowed to bring whatever personal jewelry you want (I know people who fly in and out of Peru with well over $50K of jewelry on them), but for safe keeping I'd put it all in your coat pocket. They don't search coat pockets anyway, so even if they were to claim that it isn't your personal jewelry you'll be fine if it is in your coat pocket.

As far as the suit and dress, just pack them and forget about it. Unless you have something in the luggage that seriously sets off their scanners you'll be fine. I bring across electronic gear all the time and have yet to be stopped for that once.

The only time they opened my bag was when I brought in a 20 pound bag of pool chemicals. I just had to explain that it was NOT chlorine, but was instead a chemical (cyuranic acid) used to make chlorine last longer when exposed to sunlight.

Seriously, with all the other crap that everyone else on the flight will be smuggling through, you're gonna have probably the most innocuous and innocent luggage of the bunch.

Now as far as the dangers of marrying a Peruvian woman, that's another story.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Probably a good idea to bring your receipts for all this stuff. From what I have been told customs will charge you for what they think it's worth if they do decide to tax you and they could estimate it at an extremely high price. At least if you have your receipts you have proof of what it costs, but even then that might not prevent you being charged a fortune.

I mean this in a sincere way but you have to check a lot of this information before doing stuff in Peru. Peru has many great points but this country can chew up and spit out an naive person with ease.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register