cheapest region of Peru for buying a motorbike from dealer

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

kyles

cheapest region of Peru for buying a motorbike from dealer

Postby kyles » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:32 am

Hello!
I'm planning to fly to Peru, buy a new motorcycle from honda or yamaha dealer and make a South American trip.
I've read several articles, blog and forum posts, I know how to do it. But I've also read that because of different taxes in different regions prices are different too. Peru and Cusco are the most expensive, Amazonas is cheaper. Is it true? Where is cheaper to buy? Dealer websites are useless, there are no prices, you need to fill a form with DNI number (which I do not have)
Thanks!

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: cheapest region of Peru for buying a motorbike from dealer

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

I would imagine that would be Iquitos, as that is where the factory is.
kyles

Postby kyles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Alpineprince wrote:I would imagine that would be Iquitos, as that is where the factory is.

i guess so but how to transport it from there? Sail with it?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:11 pm

You´d have to sail it out of Iquitos. I also wonder if the bikes they make there would have the horsepower you really need, since they are assembled for the local market. And while it is true that the departents of Amazonas and Loreto are IGV 18% exonerated, I wonder whether the savings would offset the trouble of beginning your trip in an awkward location? Also bear in mind that any imported good they sell there will already be priced in with a premium, since the good needed to be transported there in the first place.

I would either buy in Lima, or in the fairly large coastal city of Chiclayo, in the North, so you can cross more of Peru.

Disclaimer: I don't ride motorbikes.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register