Recommend taking evening flight from Lima to Cusco in Nov?

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

uday029

Recommend taking evening flight from Lima to Cusco in Nov?

Postby uday029 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm

We are landing in Lima airport at 3PM and are planning to leave to Cusco the same evening. There is a flight at 6:30 PM which I am planning to book. According to discussions in some older threads, many people were not recommending to take evening flights due to frequency of weather related cancellations. Considering that November is the start of rainy season, do you think it is safe to take the evening flight?

If we are flying the next morning, what is the best plan for that afternoon/evening in Lima? I would ideally like not to waste that afternoon and check out some of the sights in Central Lima. Then may be book an airbnb near the airport so we can catch an early morning flight to Cusco the next day.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recommend taking evening flight from Lima to Cusco in Nov?

Postby Alan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:12 pm

I don't know about the probability of flight cancellations, but your idea of spending the afternoon sightseeing in Lima is solid, especially if you are energetic. Downtown Lima is probably the most important place to visit, and it will be roughly 45 minutes from your air bnb. Uber cost approx 30 soles. See downtown, leaving at around 5pm to beat the traffic (and touristic locations shut down around that time anyway) and head to the district of Miraflores for a nice meal, drinks, or even dancing or live music, depending on the day of the week and your energy level. Just be sure to stay hydrated for you trip the next day, and don't over eat, since the altitude can kick your butt.

If you can afford to splash out, try Restaurant Central or Maido (Japanese cuisine), Raphaels, or the Huaca Pucclana, which is a nice restaurant at the site of an pre-colonial adobe pyramid. I recommend you reserve ahead of time on line.

Taxi from downtown to Miraflores is approx 20 soles, and - depending on the traffic - about 30 minutes away. Again, leave downtown no later than 5pm, or you could have a one hour trip. Taxi back to your air bnb, if it is fairly close to the airport, would be approx 40 soles. The district of San Miguel is next to Callao (which is home to the airport). It is a good option for Air BnB, too. A little more upscale than Callao.

Have fun!
uday029

Re: Recommend taking evening flight from Lima to Cusco in Nov?

Postby uday029 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Thank you Alan. We will keep this as a back up plan in case our flight gets cancelled. We ended up booking an evening flight to Cusco so we dont have to fly super early the next day. Thanks.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register