DUI and visiting Peru

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

cloudstrife

DUI and visiting Peru

Postby cloudstrife » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,769

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this. I recently had a DUI, my first and only serious encounter with the law. Will this have any impact on my ability to visit Peru?

To my knowledge, only Canada completely bars DUIs but of course it would be nice to make sure. I am not yet convicted but it is all "in process" and will probably result in a misdemeanor. I have no travel restrictions as far as the U.S. or my state are concerned as long as I show up for my court date.

I realize that I made a serious mistake but I'm just trying to go on with my life.

Also, does this totally prevent me from possibly some day getting a resident visa in Peru?

Thanks!

florida fella

Postby florida fella » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:46 pm

As long as you have a valid passport and not running from the law, you're good to go.
They don't check crap going down. It's coming back that you have to worry about. And sometimes a person can slip between the cracks even with travel restrictions.
I had a friend who was convicted of a minor felony and traveled to Colombia 3 times while on probation and you're not even suppose to leave the county let alone the country!
He made it ok the first two times but got questioned about the probation coming back into the U.S. the last time. And they still let him go! His probation officer never found out. Great competent system there.

Can't help you with the residence visa question but I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
cloudstrife

Postby cloudstrife » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Hahaha nice story. I got serious "official" attention coming back the last time and I had a totally clean record back then, just because I went to Peru a couple times in 6 months or less I think.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. Everyone I talk to is telling me the same thing. Guess that means I can relax. :D

The lawyer said it was ok and everything, so no worries as far as the empire is concerned.
edward261

Re: DUI and visiting Peru

Postby edward261 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 pm

cloudstrife wrote:Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,769

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this. I recently had a DUI, my first and only serious encounter with the law. Will this have any impact on my ability to visit Peru?

To my knowledge, only Canada completely bars Best Nevada dui classes online but of course it would be nice to make sure. I am not yet convicted but it is all "in process" and will probably result in a misdemeanor. I have no travel restrictions as far as the U.S. or my state are concerned as long as I show up for my court date.

I realize that I made a serious mistake but I'm just trying to go on with my life.

Also, does this totally prevent me from possibly some day getting a resident visa in Peru?

Thanks!

Hello,
In my opinion if you going to any other country for visit. You should clean from any legal case. It surly effect on your VISA or other legal procedure.....

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register