Need help finding work

Employers: Place your job description and contact details here.
Forum rules
Please do not post your services here - This forum is for job offers and searches.
JayG

Need help finding work

Postby JayG » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:09 am

Hello, I am a new forum member :).
I am a Canadian who is planning to visit Lima in late Jan or early Feb to visit someone and am considering the possibility of staying in Peru for at least a few months. I am trying to find jobs that I am suited for as I can only speak English. I have a backround in construction, and am flexible with what I am looking for, however every job I have found ie: teaching English requires different levels of schooling. I have no issues securing work in Canada with my backround but it seems as though I will have issues in Peru without degrees. Can anyone give me advice as to where I can find English speaking work, on a casual or part time basis, with the possibility of it becoming a full time position.

Thank you for any help you can provide, I am looking forward to this trip and have not had a lot of luck with my research up to this point.

AncientAlien

Re: Need help finding work

Postby AncientAlien » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 pm

You will leave peru before you find anything... unless you get really really lucky. Just dont count on anything unless you plan on living here, and you spend all your time, resources and effort into finding something that may take months and months to find.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 pm

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't have a work visa, you'd be working illegally and there are very few, if any, job openings for non-Spanish speakers on tourist visas in the construction industry. As the bigger constructors are mainly unionised, in most areas it's also a closed shop to outsiders, Peruvians and foreigners.

On this website, I've occasionally seen threads from English-speaking entrepreneurs in the business section, some of which involve construction-related work, although mostly the threads are to do services like tourism, call centres and restaurants. So I'd suggest just going through all the old posts. There's also the jobs section, but it seems to be mainly ads for English teachers and tourism-related jobs. And even if you find something, pay is usually very poor. There's a reason North America and Northern Europe gets lots of economic migrants, more jobs, higher pay. Good luck.
JayG

Postby JayG » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:25 am

Thank you for your comments, from my research so far it seems like there is quite a bit of red tape involved compared to North America. I understand the fact that I cannot speak fluent Spanish yet limits my opportunities even more, but I have someone I want to be with there and am doing what I can to secure work until I see if I want to relocate indefinitely. Thank you again for your comments, I am going to keep searching hopefully an opportunity will come along.

Return to “Jobs in Peru”

Login  •  Register