Recommended English Institutes

Employers: Place your job description and contact details here.

Moderator: Alan

Forum rules
Please do not post your services here - This forum is for job offers and searches.
themiddleneal

Recommended English Institutes

Postby themiddleneal » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello Fellow Expats:

I'm the typical foreigner that is new to Peru that is slowly trying to establish themselves here and like so many others, I'm looking into working as an English Teacher. I'm an in the typical situation of I don't have a work permit and will be limited to working at a language institute that likes to hire native speakers.

My question is this. I've been warned that you have to be careful for what sort of company you work for. The stories of places that don't pay their employees for awhile, give them crazy hours, or make them travel far for one hour of work. I have looked, and looked, and LOOKED on the internet, and have found some places that are recommended over others. The problem is, these postings are easily 6-8 years old, and knowing how things are in Lima, a lot can change in that time. Some of the recommended companies I don't think even exist anymore. I know the Ultimate Guide to Teaching English is a good reference, but I don't think that has been updated for several years now also.

So with that being said I'm reaching out to the more experienced Expats and asking if there are companies they could more recently recommend or not recommend. And if you want to take this moment to vent about the world of teaching here in Lima, you may do that also.

Good Companies: Euroidiomas

Bad Companies: Langrow or is it Lancoach

There's others that are always posting openings, but I'm apprehensive unless it's a good one.

Thanks so much!

cajundave67

Re: Recommended English Institutes

Postby cajundave67 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:58 am

Let me give all Natives a little advice on English Insitutes from Personal and Painful experience. DO NOT GO TO LANCOACH! DO NOT WORK FOR LANCOACH Did that answer questions? No seriously, this company exploits Natives or Tourists or anyone that they think they can get away with it. They will work you for almost a full month and then say student asked for new teacher, or something along those lines, or just student cancelled class. And when the 10th comes around, well, your paperwork wssn't in compliance, your advancement with student wasn't in compliance, your information entered in the student progress spreadsheet wasn't exact.. etc etc etc and then discount you for those classes. Usually about 80% or more. Or they just don't pay you, knowing the oversight authorities here don't put a lot of attention in cases like this. Seriously, worked my butt off for this company and when it came time for payday, called me upstairs and said they were discounting my hours to a tune of S/130. total from a balance of S..845.00 Straight rob you and smile at you and then show you the door. i AM NOT THE ONLY ONE, THERE ARE QUITE A FEW OF US WITH THE SAME STORY! They exploit the natives, collect the money from the companies for the classes, don't pay their professors, and tell the student the professor had to go back to the States, or left Lima, or something along those lines and replace him/her with a peruvian...until they find another sucker
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:10 pm

cajundave67 wrote:Let me give all Natives a little advice on English Insitutes from Personal and Painful experience. DO NOT GO TO LANCOACH! DO NOT WORK FOR LANCOACH Did that answer questions? No seriously, this company exploits Natives or Tourists or anyone that they think they can get away with it. They will work you for almost a full month and then say student asked for new teacher, or something along those lines, or just student cancelled class. And when the 10th comes around, well, your paperwork wssn't in compliance, your advancement with student wasn't in compliance, your information entered in the student progress spreadsheet wasn't exact.. etc etc etc and then discount you for those classes. Usually about 80% or more. Or they just don't pay you, knowing the oversight authorities here don't put a lot of attention in cases like this. Seriously, worke tryd my butt off for this company and when it came time for payday, called me upstairs and said they were discounting my hours to a tune of S/130. total from a balance of S..845.00 Straight rob you and smile at you and then show you the door. i AM NOT THE ONLY ONE, THERE ARE QUITE A FEW OF US WITH THE SAME STORY! They exploit the natives, collect the money from the companies for the classes, don't pay their professors, and tell the student the professor had to go back to the States, or left Lima, or something along those lines and replace him/her with a peruvian...until they find another sucker

Wow. Thanks for sharing that info, cajun.
Always good to expose corrupt businesses and scammers.
Large and in charge!
cajundave67

Postby cajundave67 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Masters Business English, Easy English Peru, and Tophat English are all great companies. MBE is a native with good clients, EEP is British, and Tophat, he's a New York Peruvian with his whole life in NYC and Spanish almost as bad as mine! All three of these guys are reputable, easy to deal with, and professional as we are used to. The one I mentioned above is one of the worst. I could give example after example after example. Although they also sent me a cease and desist letter more or less from their attorney saying that I was slandering their reputation. As such, I won't mention their name in my posts although I would appreciate it if anyone could Coach me about setting up a Local Area Network (Lan). :D
Juango

Postby Juango » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:28 am

Euroidiomas is a good English institute for expats, and they are always looking for native speakers, especially for corporate classes. I currently work there, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. juango_i@hotmail.com
Mateka

Postby Mateka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Contact English is also a decent place to work as a teacher. Its a small business but they have excellent clientele from great companies, lawyers, bank managers etc. They have a decent amount of work and they are growing. Try emailing them contact@contact.pe
sindyciaray

Postby sindyciaray » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:29 am

I would appreciate it if anyone could Coach me about setting up a Local Area Network PhenQ

Return to “Jobs in Peru”

Login  •  Register