GM crop option to fishmeal

Share and discuss news about Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

GM crop option to fishmeal

Postby Alan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:10 pm

I saw this article the other day, which deals with a recent scientific discovery that allows canola seeds to be genetically modified in order to replicate the same kind of fish oils that make anchoveta-based fish meal such an attractive ingredient in feed for farmed fish. If the crop is eventually grown, it could decimate the market for Peruvian fish meal. Would that be better for our oceans? Anyway.. it´s worth a read and points out some pretty interesting dilemmas.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... hing-fishy

vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: GM crop option to fishmeal

Postby vivaperusurf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Decimate the market for peruvian fishmeal. Lets say it again for effect, deciamte the peruvian fishmeal market. Oh no! Wont happen.The waters may be overfished, polluted, what have you, but this will not happen.

They can do all they want but I find it very hard to believe the people who are really in charge of this market, would let it happen. I wont go into gory details as to why, but do some simple logical thinking and some simple math, you may find two plus two doesnt always equal four.

Thnaks for the intersting article.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:05 am

I spoke to a neighbor involved in the industry and he agrees with you. His point was that, even if fishmeal stops going into the mouths of farmed fish, it will still go to feed poultry and swine (just like in the good old days), and even though the price will drop, the current profit margin will easily support it.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Alan wrote:I saw this article the other day, which deals with a recent scientific discovery that allows canola seeds to be genetically modified in order to replicate the same kind of fish oils that make anchoveta-based fish meal such an attractive ingredient in feed for farmed fish. If the crop is eventually grown, it could decimate the market for Peruvian fish meal. Would that be better for our oceans? Anyway.. it´s worth a read and points out some pretty interesting dilemmas.

They won't like that in Chimbote aka "Fishmeal Capital of the World" aka "Fishland". I lived there for 2 years and I know that lots of people make a living there from fishmeal. The city is notorious for its fish smell caused by the fishmeal factories and the locals are happy when it stinks there because that means that "hay plata". Here is a video I just saw about the fishmeal industry in Chimbote

This guy does make it sound a lot worse than it is though IMHO. If you watch this video you would get the impression that Chimbote is a place where everyone is desperate and starving which is not the case at all. It does have a lot of pollution problems though I agree with that.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:34 pm

KenBE wrote:
Alan wrote:I saw this article the other day, which deals with a recent scientific discovery that allows canola seeds to be genetically modified in order to replicate the same kind of fish oils that make anchoveta-based fish meal such an attractive ingredient in feed for farmed fish. If the crop is eventually grown, it could decimate the market for Peruvian fish meal. Would that be better for our oceans? Anyway.. it´s worth a read and points out some pretty interesting dilemmas.

They won't like that in Chimbote aka "Fishmeal Capital of the World" aka "Fishland". I lived there for 2 years and I know that lots of people make a living there from fishmeal. The city is notorious for its fish smell caused by the fishmeal factories and the locals are happy when it stinks there because that means that "hay plata". Here is a video I just saw about the fishmeal industry in Chimbote

This guy does make it sound a lot worse than it is though IMHO. If you watch this video you would get the impression that Chimbote is a place where everyone is desperate and starving which is not the case at all. It does have a lot of pollution problems though I agree with that.

You must be talking about nuevo chimbote. Lived there, sorry bro :-) It has to be one of the least desirable places I have been to in all of Peru,sorry to those chimbotanos, while ther are good hearted folks there....lets not forget cesar alvarez, the centrallita, noalasco, all that ugliness. If they stopped making fishmeal there tomorrow it would still smell for quite a time, but not from lack of fishmeal:-)
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:47 pm

vivaperusurf wrote:
You must be talking about nuevo chimbote. Lived there, sorry bro :-) It has to be one of the least desirable places I have been to in all of Peru,sorry to those chimbotanos, while ther are good hearted folks there....lets not forget cesar alvarez, the centrallita, noalasco, all that ugliness. If they stopped making fishmeal there tomorrow it would still smell for quite a time, but not from lack of fishmeal:-)

Oh I completely agree, Chimbote IS ugly and polluted and one of the least attractive cities in Peru (pretty unsafe as well). The locals love their "Rico Chimbote" though :D . However the city is developing and changing pretty fast. They built a huge mall (Mega Plaza) there a couple of years ago which created a lot of jobs for the locals. It is right next to the smelly fishmeal factories but still :). They also have some of the best cevicherias in the country and the nightlife is pretty fun too. Again, not saying that the city doesn't have a lot of problems, but It isn't all misery and starvation like that video makes it seem. You are right though, most of the nicer areas are in Nvo.Chimbote (although there are lots of slums there too).
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Ken yeah....I dont want to be all negative about chimbote as we are just further sidetracking alans thread. Ill make another post to get back on track, but it is true what you say about the cevicherias very economic, and the ONLY place i have bought in resteraunts ceviche de pejerrey, supposedly the healthiest species of fish due to low fat high protien content. It was quite tasty. My mouth is watering for some right now. To further defend chimbote it has calmed down a bit and does seem more tranquilo there now than those tiempos picante last year.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Alan wrote:I spoke to a neighbor involved in the industry and he agrees with you. His point was that, even if fishmeal stops going into the mouths of farmed fish, it will still go to feed poultry and swine (just like in the good old days), and even though the price will drop, the current profit margin will easily support it.

quote="Alan"]I spoke to a neighbor involved in the industry and he agrees with you. His point was that, even if fishmeal stops going into the mouths of farmed fish, it will still go to feed poultry and swine (just like in the good old days), and even though the price will drop, the current profit margin will easily support it.[/quote]

Didnt want to sidetrack with my last post, so lets say that I wanted people to think for themselves when I said 2+2 doesnt always equal 4.

Imagine the fishmeal industry. In the first place if I am not mistaken, china is the largest importer.

Then also imagine a nationwide network and distribution channel, worldwide, for "fishmeal" ...... there are other applications for this network and chanel of distribution. Think like joshuaS. I wont say anymore as I probably already said enough to end up with a bullet in my head. This industry is untouchable....sacred to the well being of many many peruvians and others worldwide.

Also i have personally sold kilos of fishmeal to the local market, as feed and fertilizer, so there will always be some demand for this product.
jacob

Postby jacob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Less demand for fishmeal might be a good thing in odor abatement at night in Chimbote. If the price of fishmeal drops enough to make the catch more valuable for human consumption, that is what will happen. I don't think it will affect the fishing fleets themselves one way or another.

Return to “Peru News and Views”

Login  •  Register