New Mennonite settlements in the peruvian rainforest.

Share and discuss news about Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Mennonite settlements in the peruvian rainforest.

Postby victmanu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:11 am

There were many menonites settlements in Mexico, Bolivia and Paraguay the last decades and now many of the menonites are trying to find new lands to settle in Peru. The last year a small menonite community landed in Huanuco and few months ago another smal community landed in Ucayali,
They are begging for especial treatment of the peruvian government in order to stay and expand their community with new members coming to Peru.
The special conditions they asked to the government are to run their own education system and their youth might avoid the military service ( Peru has not a mandatory military recruitment ).

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Mennonite settlements in the peruvian rainforest.

Postby Polaron » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

I miss the delicious Mennonite cheeses I used to buy when I lived in Guadalajara.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Mennonite settlements in the peruvian rainforest.

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:13 am

Apparently there are many Mennonites living in Bolvia. Originally from Canada, they have maintained their nationality over the years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Bolivia
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mennonite settlements in Bolivia

Postby craig » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Alan wrote:Apparently there are many Mennonites living in Bolvia. Originally from Canada, they have maintained their nationality over the years.

Mennonite colonies in Paraguay date back about a century but the ones in Bolivia are only a few decades old. Many of the first were Mennonites who fled persecution in Mexico.

I flew from Mexico City to Santa Cruz in January 2006. Half the plane was full of (really) young (newly wed) Mennonites going to settle a new colony in Bolivia. None of them spoke any Spanish so they probably were from Canada. There was one woman guiding them who was a fluent Spanish speaker, probably from one of the established Bolivian colonies.

Another contingent on that same flight was a group of teenage pentacostal missionaries. It was funny watching them trying to convert the Mennonites.

There is a whole barrio in Santa Cruz devoted to commerce with the Mennonites. It is amusing to watch the (tall, blond, etc.) Mennonites coming to town to shop, attend doctors appointments, etc. They are just like another Bolivian ethnic group with their characteristic hats.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Peru News and Views”

Login  •  Register