Peru's Wall of Shame

Share and discuss news about Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Comas,Lima
Contact:

Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:01 am

I read this article on the Dailymail, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... althy.html
I find it hard to believe that the wall was built to separate the rich from the poor and think the more likely scenario is that the wall was built to stop the land invaders from encroaching any further. Any comments or does anyone know who built the wall?


User avatar
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby JoshuS » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Why is this so surprising? It's the cost of inequality and consequence of structural violence.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:59 pm

It is a "shame" the wall was extended with a red marker and they omitted to mention it is in fact an enclose for the protection of agricultural land and a reservoir. Take a look at the Ariel photos in Google earth for a more realistic image that has not been blacked out.
Shot120.jpg
Shot120.jpg (291.15 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby lizzym » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:08 am

The photo with the red line also mixes up SJM and Surco. Anyone who has seen either or both areas can spot it: it identifies the SJM side as the one with winding streets and cul-de-sacs, green areas, more spaced-out houses with pools, and empty land between the wall and homes for much of the stretch. It identifies Surco as the side with rectangular shacks stacked all the way up to the wall and nothing but brown desert between them. Anyone who has paid or is paying attention to local news, opinion etc. outside the tourist bubble will also know that the original purpose of the wall was to stop the land invaders (yes, from bothering the elites of Surco and daring to live amongst them.) Looks like the people responsible for the article didn't care to figure things out before they decided to publish.

Still a wall of shame, just saying ...
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:12 am

lizzym wrote:The photo with the red line also mixes up SJM and Surco. Anyone who has seen either or both areas can spot it: it identifies the SJM side as the one with winding streets and cul-de-sacs, green areas, more spaced-out houses with pools, and empty land between the wall and homes for much of the stretch. It identifies Surco as the side with rectangular shacks stacked all the way up to the wall and nothing but brown desert between them. Anyone who has paid or is paying attention to local news, opinion etc. outside the tourist bubble will also know that the original purpose of the wall was to stop the land invaders (yes, from bothering the elites of Surco and daring to live amongst them.) Looks like the people responsible for the article didn't care to figure things out before they decided to publish.

Still a wall of shame, just saying ...


Nicely put, although it's worth adding that most of the invasions are organised by traficantes de tierra/terreno and not by poor people in search of a home. After it's been invaded, the land is then sold or rented to the poor, without even essentials like running water.

http://elcomercio.pe/lima/sucesos/hay-s ... cia-687928

http://elcomercio.pe/lima/sucesos/ate-d ... ia-1856061

http://www.elpopular.pe/actualidad-y-po ... a-en-fundo
User avatar
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby asgp » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 am

Gary wrote:I read this article on the Dailymail, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... althy.html
I find it hard to believe that the wall was built to separate the rich from the poor and think the more likely scenario is that the wall was built to stop the land invaders from encroaching any further. Any comments or does anyone know who built the wall?



Well, the wall does actually separate the rich from the poor but none of both groups can be blamed for that, the government is the only one to blame here because it is the one supposed to redistribute the wealth AND create laws against any attempt of discrimination.

The first wall was built by a private school to protect the students from the 'choros'... The rest of the neighborhood copied the idea.
User avatar
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby gringolandia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Good fences make good neighbors as far as I'm concerned. I have no problem with walls, and there are perfectly valid reasons for not wanting to keep out people who may do you harm or diminish the quality of life you've worked to build. Nothing shameful about it.
User avatar
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby asgp » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:46 pm

gringolandia wrote:Good fences make good neighbors as far as I'm concerned. I have no problem with walls, and there are perfectly valid reasons for not wanting to keep out people who may do you harm or diminish the quality of life you've worked to build. Nothing shameful about it.


well said
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Peru's Wall of Shame

Postby victmanu » Sat May 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Go to Beverly Hills and set up your camping tent over there. :lol:

Return to “Peru News and Views”

cron

Login  •  Register