Peru Presidential Election

Share and discuss news about Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru Presidential Election

Postby clewis564 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Does anyone have any opinions about the Peru presidential election? DO you think Fujimori winning would help or hurt the peruvian economy? Does anyone have a preferred candidate? Just wondering.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru Presidential Election

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:17 am

PPK :D
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:07 pm

It's an Open Secret that the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency is supporting one of the political parties. Interesting lead this political party is not in first place at this time.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby clewis564 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:11 pm

I just saw two candidates got disqualified because of paperwork issues. Julio Guzmán César Acuña. That makes it easier for fijimori I guess.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:56 pm

clewis564 wrote:I just saw two candidates got disqualified because of paperwork issues. Julio Guzmán César Acuña. That makes it easier for fijimori I guess.

seems it's going to be between Fujimori and Kuczynski. my bet is on Fujimori (popular force). i think both candidates would do good for the country. (jmo)
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Polaron wrote:It's an Open Secret that the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency is supporting one of the political parties. Interesting lead this political party is not in first place at this time.

Who would that be?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:46 am

ironchefchris wrote:
Polaron wrote:It's an Open Secret that the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency is supporting one of the political parties. Interesting lead this political party is not in first place at this time.

Who would that be?

We could tell you, but.... we'd have to shoot you afterwards. Sorry about that.

For me the biggest surprise (in an election full of surprises) is the rise of Alfredo Barenachea. Will he become the "new face" that voters seem to be looking for? The other big surprise (for me, anyway) is how badly Garcia seems to be doing. It's a fickle crowd.
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:40 pm

I agree with Caliguy that either Fujimori or Kuczynski would be good for Peru. Also, I think that Garcia is doing badly because people are tired of politicians who have indications of corruption.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:20 pm

jhand8pp4 wrote:I agree with Caliguy that either Fujimori or Kuczynski would be good for Peru. Also, I think that Garcia is doing badly because people are tired of politicians who have indications of corruption.

Yes, that's true, but he still has not only his party, but the PPC behind him, and in spite of that, he's still in the basement. Let's see what the debates might hold. The guy can sell ice cream in a snowstorm.

Has anyone heard when the debates are to be held?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 am

I also would like to know who the US Central Intelligence Agency is sponsoring! Please don't make such statements w/o having some sort of data the readers can check - please!!! :roll:
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Keiko is the candidate of preference by the US, the Peruvian elite and of course the CONFIEP, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s getting funded covertly through NGOs (typical US modus operandi around the world, amply documented), USAID or others including the CIA, why not. She was invited by the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies and Weatherhead Center for International Affairs (Harvard) to conduct a talk there last year in September, it’s customary for third world presidential candidates who represent Washington’s interests while having a good chance at winning to get invited to these type of events. After all, her father was the artificer of coining Neo Liberal doctrinal policies in the Peruvian Constitution after his self-coup in 1992, policies which govern the Peruvian economy nowadays to the detriment of majority of Peruvians.

PPK is a back-up option in my opinion, talk about “barbarian at the gates”, he’s already inside the gates, PPK represents a veritable Trojan horse who will do nothing more than do what he does best, finish selling Peruvian resources to the best international takers as the good international capital lobbyist he is. He’s the reason why most of Camisea gas is exported abroad at fire sale prices while Peruvians, those who get it pay for it through the nose, such as ironically Cuzquenos those who live where Camisea gas comes from.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 am

Keiko would have been my guess as far as US supported candidates, but Polaron mentioned "Interesting lead this political party is not in first place at this time."

In my few years here, just about every person I've talked politics/elections with says pretty much the same thing - they're all corrupt. With the exception of a congressional candidate who wanted a donation from me, not a single person I've spoken with has any faith or confidence in the political system as an agent of change for the betterment for the people. It's interesting to contrast this to the U.S. (where I'm from) where people get very passionate about politics and politicians and believe that politician or party X is either the solution or the cause of all problems.

The last US presidential election only had a turnout of about 57%. I would imagine if voting wasn't mandatory in Perú and considering the general apathy that I've noticed it would be even less here. High voter turnout when voting is voluntary says that people have faith in their political system. Near 100% turnout when voting is mandatory is meaningless for gauging the people's confidence in the political system. Mandatory voting is a convenient way to lend legitimacy to a system that the people lack confidence in. Imagine if only 20% of eligible voters felt strong enough about their candidate/party to actually vote and the winner won with 51%. That would mean only 5.1% of the people supported the winner. Mandatory voting gives the impression that the winner has greater support than they likely do.

Just my cinco centimos.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:28 pm

The Peruvian political system is definitely corrupt; most politicians would just aspire to be part of that system in order to rob one way or another. Fujimori’s administration institutionalized it even more by coining Neo Liberal policies in the Constitution at the behest of big capital, akin to what Pinochet did for Chile via the Chicago Boys (Milton Friedman) back in 1973 after the successful CIA backed coup against Allende. A first step for an honest and serious presidential candidate if there’s one would be to modify the constitution by expunging such NL policies from it and by willingly renegotiating fairly all those onerous contracts which for the most part only benefit transnationals at the expense of the majority of Peruvians.

Well, in the US corruption is pretty much the same, only more sophisticated under a veil of the ‘best kabuki democracy money can buy’. Politicians are just there to preserve the status quo, be it Republican or Democrat (Pepsi or Coca-Cola) where presidential candidates get not elected but selected by those who control the system. The founding fathers knew this all too well, hence the rigged electoral process designed to prevent the “wrong people from getting into power” through mechanisms such as Delegates, Super Delegates and the Electoral College, and if all that fails then there is always the rigged computer poll programs: http://www.activistpost.com/2016/03/wat ... tions.html

http://truthinmedia.com/report-lobbyist ... delegates/
http://truthinmedia.com/republican-dele ... n-process/

I think Mrs. Clinton is the anointed one for this November.
Mandatory voting is not way to guarantee or prove anything for sure, then again whether it is mandatory or not the system is rigged anyway.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Whoever is elected I hope it is a realist who understands that the only reason Peru is enjoying any economic success is due to the country embracing capitalism and transnational corporations.

It isn't "fair" of course. Of course the transnational corporations take a large part of the wealth that Peruvian feel is "theirs", otherwise the transnationals wouldn't have any incentive to enter into the agreements in the first place. There are certainly aspects of such partnerships that require vigilance, adjustment and correction to make sure Peru gets the best deal it can manage.

But the day Peru votes in someone who rejects these policies is the day Peru joins the other South American basket cases and falls into economic oblivion. Peru simply can't exploit its resources by itself. It doesn't have the internal capability to do so. Not even close.
curveball

Postby curveball » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:58 am

gringolandia wrote:Whoever is elected I hope it is a realist who understands that the only reason Peru is enjoying any economic success is due to the country embracing capitalism and transnational corporations.

It isn't "fair" of course. Of course the transnational corporations take a large part of the wealth that Peruvian feel is "theirs", otherwise the transnationals wouldn't have any incentive to enter into the agreements in the first place. There are certainly aspects of such partnerships that require vigilance, adjustment and correction to make sure Peru gets the best deal it can manage.

But the day Peru votes in someone who rejects these policies is the day Peru joins the other South American basket cases and falls into economic oblivion. Peru simply can't exploit its resources by itself. It doesn't have the internal capability to do so. Not even close.

But if the global economy is in free fall then embracing capitalism won't matter.
It will have a domino effect.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Alan wrote:Has anyone heard when the debates are to be held?

Date, Time and Place: The electoral debate between presidential candidates on Sunday April 3 will be held in the Convention Center Lima, at eight o'clock in the evening.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:47 am

There is a good summary of the election published in the Peruvian Times: http://www.peruviantimes.com/14/mano-a- ... ori/26240/
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Now that we're closer to the election, I've noticed the people I talk with regularly formulating opinions beyond the usual "they're all corrupt." Many of the people I've spoken with were supporting Guzman and liked his "outsider" status. Some say they're now looking at Barnechea. My in-laws like PPK. My wife's still relatively unenthused and undecided at this point. Everyone I've spoken with says they don't want Keiko.

Saw a news report this morning showing poll results from theoretical matchups against Keiko in the second round of voting. PPK was the only one who beat her.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:54 am

One more proof the elections are a fraud, she's the anointed one like mentioned earlier.

"Peru’s electoral authority has ruled that presidential frontrunner Keiko Fujimori would not be disqualified from 2016 elections for alleged vote buying.

The JNE elections board ruled last week that Fujimori had not violated a new law which prohibits candidates from giving or promising gifts worth $6 when she attended a hip-hop and break-dancing event in Callao where contest winners won $89 in cash."

http://perureports.com/2016/03/24/exone ... elections/
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Who do people would be the best candidate of the candidates that want to run? I know some have been told they can,t. I have very little knowledge on the candidates. Of the two front runners I definely prefer PPK.He has experience and I think his policies aas declared are the most in line with my preference. At least from what I know. I associate the name Fujimori with corruption, suppression of a free press,, drug traffickig inspite of some positive things from from the fathers presidential period.
Tom
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Has Keiko ever done anything? Any accomplishments of note in the public or private sector?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 am

Lol at Sergio's (disappeared?) comment on Keiko. I try not to hold the offspring accountable for the sins of the parents, but it's hard not to when it comes to politics where the offspring tend to rely on the same advisors/etc. as the parents.

Anybody watch the debate? First one I've seen in Perú. I was surprised. The political process in the states, crazy as it is, seems far less of a circus of corruption compared to Perú. Based on things such as road traffic, colas, etc., I was expecting a debate more like the US circus. Interesting to see how ordered it all was. Cutting off mikes of politicians when their allotted time is up. What a novel concept.

Overall I thought it was kind of dull. Fun to watch Fernando Olivera ("Popy" as my wife says he's called) continuously go after Garcia, as if talking about the Presidency was an afterthought. The big news I guess was at the end of the debate when Keiko signed a "Commitment of Honor" saying she wouldn't pardon her father, pull another 5 April, and give some control to opposition parties.

Think I'm still pulling for Barnachea.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:42 am

Keiko Fujimori and 12 other Peruvians mentioned for money laundering in the latest scandal: the leaked Panama Papers.

http://gestion.pe/politica/keiko-fujimo ... rs-2157592

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:40 am

That Panamanian money laundering story along with the Unaoil story are pretty interesting. Same as it ever was.

Wonder if Keiko's "Commitment of Honor" means anything at all to Keiko detractors or the Peruvian people in general, or if it's just a piece of paper. More empty promises.
curveball

Postby curveball » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:44 am

JoshuS wrote:Keiko Fujimori and 12 other Peruvians mentioned for money laundering in the latest scandal: the leaked Panama Papers.

http://gestion.pe/politica/keiko-fujimo ... rs-2157592

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844

And my man Vlade P.
Say it ain't so!
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Keiko is my man... Well should I say my woman? :lol:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:03 pm

is any one else as confused as i am with all the political ads on banners with the symbols of shovels, PPK's and PPC's. numbers, marca asi, escribe, etc? this seems more complex than a driving test. are they purposely trying to confuse folks? what if you make a mistake while filling out the ballot? does it get rejected? it's no wonder Peru keeps getting the wrong President.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I don't get why Keiko is so far ahead in the polls. I'm not saying there isn't a reason, just that I don't know what it is. From what I understand she hasn't really accomplished anything. The only reason she's a contender is because of her last name. Her big qualification seems to be a feeling of entitlement to the Presidency. I'm guessing she'd be as much of a puppet of her father's cronies currently working with her now as Bush was a puppet to Cheney, Rumsfeld, and all the other holdovers from Bush The Elder's administration and crowd. Is it that people liked her father and want to see his work continued and figure a vote for Keiko is the best way to accomplish this? Finish what the old man started? I'm open to being wrong on any or all of this, but if so, could someone explain for me/us what it is Keiko has done and what it is about her that should make me want to vote for her over any of her more experienced opponents?
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:20 pm

caliguy wrote:is any one else as confused as i am with all the political ads on banners with the symbols of shovels, PPK's and PPC's. numbers, marca asi, escribe, etc? this seems more complex than a driving test. are they purposely trying to confuse folks? what if you make a mistake while filling out the ballot? does it get rejected? it's no wonder Peru keeps getting the wrong President.

Same here, I just don't get all those symbols...
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:28 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I don't get why Keiko is so far ahead in the polls. I'm not saying there isn't a reason, just that I don't know what it is. From what I understand she hasn't really accomplished anything. The only reason she's a contender is because of her last name. Her big qualification seems to be a feeling of entitlement to the Presidency. I'm guessing she'd be as much of a puppet of her father's cronies currently working with her now as Bush was a puppet to Cheney, Rumsfeld, and all the other holdovers from Bush The Elder's administration and crowd. Is it that people liked her father and want to see his work continued and figure a vote for Keiko is the best way to accomplish this? Finish what the old man started? I'm open to being wrong on any or all of this, but if so, could someone explain for me/us what it is Keiko has done and what it is about her that should make me want to vote for her over any of her more experienced opponents?

At a glance...

Keiko has walked all over Peru and the provincias, not only in this presidential race, she has done this for many years and she knows the real problems of the people, as fas as I can tell. Also she has been the face of her political party, keeping it togheter from falling apart with this Fujimori trial and jail thing.

She has clearly stated that she is aware of the mistakes of her father and she said she wont be making those mistakes again.

To finish... many peruvians trust her to stop the crime just like her father stoped terrorism... who knows...

I don't vote, but I like this Keiko F ideas... thats all.

Return to “Peru News and Views”

Login  •  Register