Is discrimination towards Spanish speakers increasing in the USA

Share and discuss news about Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is discrimination towards Spanish speakers increasing in the USA

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:56 am

I'm no fan of Obama and neo-liberalism either, but I will say that Obamacare isn't the only reason premiums have gone up. Insurance companies have a lot to do with that. Check out how much top executives get huge compensation package raises just from last year to now. Premium hikes are do to many factors.

I haven't really said anything about what a Trump administration might do. Trump's tweets and speeches are the best source of info on what he may do and what many are reacting to. He's the guy who's talked about walls, deportation forces, banning people's ability to enter or stay in the country based on religion, forming registry's for citizens based on their religion, etc.. People are going to react to what he says he plans on doing. No one on the left is making this up or writing his speeches for him.

In this thread I've posted about things that have already happened, such as the close to 900 hate crimes committed since the day Trump won and to which many of those committing the hateful acts have used the word "Trump" as part of their hateful speech and acts. No fortune telling. Not making anything up. Not having to search long and hard in dark corners of the intertronz for this info. Commentary on things that have actually happened and have been reported on and documented. There's a big difference.

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:36 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I'm no fan of Obama and neo-liberalism either, but I will say that Obamacare isn't the only reason premiums have gone up. Insurance companies have a lot to do with that. Check out how much top executives get huge compensation package raises just from last year to now. Premium hikes are do to many factors.

I haven't really said anything about what a Trump administration might do. Trump's tweets and speeches are the best source of info on what he may do and what many are reacting to. He's the guy who's talked about walls, deportation forces, banning people's ability to enter or stay in the country based on religion, forming registry's for citizens based on their religion, etc.. People are going to react to what he says he plans on doing. No one on the left is making this up or writing his speeches for him.

In this thread I've posted about things that have already happened, such as the close to 900 hate crimes committed since the day Trump won and to which many of those committing the hateful acts have used the word "Trump" as part of their hateful speech and acts. No fortune telling. Not making anything up. Not having to search long and hard in dark corners of the intertronz for this info. Commentary on things that have actually happened and have been reported on and documented. There's a big difference.

Well you have already mentioned a couple of hate groups and I shot that myth down in flames and, as I pointed out, the boogy man has disavowed them all and does not support nor want their support. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29685&sid=6801d579aaa889cb9d7e5c1312d831d8#p151109 Are there any others. My word if If Donald had the time, like you do, to ferret out these groups to disavow, there would be no time to do the presidential stuff.
There is not a president dead or alive that has kept all campaign promises. Most of the things you mentioned he will do, lol, he can not do like banning certain religions from legally immigrating are against the law. I think that is in the constitution.
He has made it quite clear he does not support such hate groups.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:28 pm

I didn't mention hate groups, I mentioned acts that are described as hate crimes. I really don't see how you shot anything down as you've provided nothing from a reputable news organization to suggest that what is being reported is in any way false. I know, we're in the age of post-truth and fake news and some people believe if you say something enough times that it will be accepted as truth even without any evidence being offered. Like when Trump said thousands of Muslims cheered 9/11 from Jersey City or that millions of votes were fraudulent - no evidence ever offered, yet his supporters swallow it all up anyway. I'd be more than happy to read any links you can provide from reputable news sources that show what Reuters and others are reporting is not true but made up. At that point I'll gladly concede that you've shot down my arguments and eat my proverbial hat.

Trump doing "Presidential stuff." More :lol: :lol: :lol: Keep 'em coming.

Trump is blowing off intelligence briefings, preferring to spend his time tweeting about jailing flag burners or taking away their citizenship - the first being a Constitutionally protected right to free speech, the second, taking away citizenship, not even possible since it's un-Constitutional. If he's going to be President he should know and understand the Constitution and what it allows and forbids him to do. Maybe actually read the document instead of putting out dumb tweets. Instead of focusing on dumb twitter wars with journalists and anyone who questions him or tweeting about things he'd have to break the Constitution to accomplish, I wish he'd actually do some of that "Presidential stuff" you're talking about - like going to intelligence briefings and otherwise preparing himself for the job which the American people elected him to do. Instead of focusing on the job ahead and reading briefings on ISIS, he's acting like a 14 year old girl with the thinnest of skin who takes offense at anything and goes to war with her "enemies" on Twitter.

I get the impression he wants the title and the pomp and circumstance of the Presidency, he just doesn't want to do all the preparation and necessary work. Donald has the time, but instead of acting Presidential and setting the national tone of conversation by, say, disavowing hate groups as being divisive and urging that people need to bring the country together, he's spending that time disavowing the likes of Rosie O'Donnell, former beauty pageant contestants, and anyone who dares say anything critical of him. Trump doesn't seem interested in unity and coming together as a nation. He seems more interested in petty fights that have nothing to do with being President. I really wish he'd focus on all that "Presidential stuff" instead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... aee40bc279

[youtube]http://youtu.be/icYDi5pmTMo[/youtube]
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:19 pm

I grew up among latinos. All the kids spoke perfect English even though they were first generation and mom and dad spoke very little English, of course the kids spoke Spanish also. The parents demanded they speak English. How else would you get ahead in an English speaking country?
What happened?

May be off topic but that is my 2 cents.
Large and in charge!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

A bilingual brain is always better.

Being bilingual or trilingual is a plus. Speaking English, Spanish and another language is an advantage for anyone. We get better brain connections.

http://www.brainfacts.org/sensing-think ... ual-brain/
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Makes sense to learn English in an English speaking country. Sometimes it's useful to speak your native tongue in private conversations. Regardless, people shouldn't be discriminated against or have acts of hatred tossed their way because they're not speaking English in a country with no official language, or just because by their appearance it's obvious they're Latino.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:00 pm

And my nickname is: "Deporte de Viento en Peru"... translated from english to spanish :)

God Bless America..
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:27 am

Yeah, speaking only Spanish is great in America if you want to pick crops under a blazing sun or be a housekeeper/maid.
Never can get ahead without English.
Large and in charge!
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks Alan for posting the link.

I found it very interesting and may look for the book this guy wrote about his time in Lima.

Funnily enough he started to live in Peru the same year as me and then left two years after I did. I also have two young children with a Peruvian wife though in my case two boys. And of course we live in the UK not the US.

Terrible that his wife and children are being criticised for speaking Spanish 5 times recently in the US.

I think my wife has just had one incidence of a lady implying annoyance when she was speaking to our two boys on a bus. We live near London so we are lucky people are pretty cosmopolitan here. Even with the Brexit vote and all that came with it immigrants here I know don't report a big change.

On the other hand I am impressed that he has managed to get his daughters to speak Spanish at all. My boys refuse to answer my wife in Spanish, only English, much to her frustration and mine. I am guessing his daughters may have better access to other Spanish speakers where they feel supported and valued as Spanish speakers. So in my eyes the US is better off to have more latinos!
Tom
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:35 pm

Simply being born into a certain family brings discrimination from morons.

http://rare.us/story/an-obnoxious-passe ... ok-action/

Return to “Peru News and Views”

Login  •  Register