Looking to rent in Arequipa!

Searching for a roommate? Describe your shared flat or apartment and explain the living situation and cost. Remember, take all possible precautions before letting a stranger into your home.
Forum rules
This forum is meant exclusively for people looking for roommates, or for people with a room to rent. Don't use this forum to place an advert for your apartment for rent.
evarinward

Looking to rent in Arequipa!

Postby evarinward » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi everyone! I have been living in Arequipa for several months and am looking to find a more long term arrangement. I would love to have 2 or 3 rooms somewhere in Arequipa. For furnishing: a stove, hot water, a bed in a bedroom, and internet (wifi) is pretty much all I require. I am flexible on cost depending mainly on location (proximity to Plaza de Armas). If you know someone offering such a place that only speaks Spanish, I have a basic level of Spanish down. Anyways, here's to hoping I can settle here in a more permanent way soon. Thanks for your time!

For contacting me, a PM on this site is best. Thanks in advance!

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking to rent in Arequipa!

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:48 pm

If all you truly need are a bed, a stove, etc., you'll be better off renting unfurnished, supplying your own, and then selling them when and if you move on. You'll pay more for furnished, though there are furnished options, just not as many.

If you want to live in an urbanización, talk to the huachimen. They know about places for rent. Go to the bodegas in your areas of interest as that's where people post For Rent notices. Talk to the shop keeper as well. Take a walk and look for For Rent signs in windows. If you want to live in a building, talk to the Potrero or anyone coming and going. Go to real estate offices. Many have listings online. We found our place by walking around and noticed a building that was just about finished with construction on the upper floors. Talked to the maestro who gave us the name and number of the owner. A week later the place was finished, we had a look, liked it, and moved in. Since you say you are flexible on cost and desire to learn Spanish, check out some language schools. Most also offer some type of housing, be it a home stay or furnished apartment - though again, you'll pay more than renting your own, unfurnished place. Arequipa is known as a good place to learn the language as it's spoken a bit slower and clearer than other places. Here are some other web pages where you'll find apartments for rent, though you might pay more. Some listings are private, some are from agents.

http://www.adondevivir.com/departamento ... quipa.html

http://ciudadarequipa.olx.com.pe/inmueb ... des-cat-16
evarinward

Postby evarinward » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 am

Thank you for all the information. I was looking at the El Pueblo newspaper as well. My only issue is my visa... That's actually the only reason I am thinking I might need to find expats to work with. I am worried that I won't be able to find a place through conventional means because my visa is not valid.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:50 pm

If you're looking to share a place with someone with an established house or apartment they might not care about your visa status, but if you rent in your name you'll likely have to sign a contract, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Either way, you should get your visa status straightened out.

Return to “Roommates / Rooms for Rent”

Login  •  Register