Recommendation for Second Hand Car

Post your items for sale here. Use a clear, descriptive subject line, and please consult our "Rules and Advice" before agreeing to meet a buyer or a seller. Take precautions.
onurinal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Recommendation for Second Hand Car

Postby onurinal » Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi people;

I want to know if there are any good dealers in lima that sell good and reliable second hand cars. If anyone knows please share with me. Thanks

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recommendation for Second Hand Car

Postby panman » Sat May 04, 2013 2:35 am

onurinal wrote:Hi people;

I want to know if there are any good dealers in lima that sell good and reliable second hand cars. If anyone knows please share with me. Thanks

In my experience the answer to your question is NO.
Second hand car dealers world wide have a very bad reputation and Lima is no exception to the rule.
Depending on your budget you might be as well to buy new, but again be careful of the people you deal with.
A friend of mine recently bought a new vehicle from a well known dealer with loads of outlets around Lima and had an awful time with them.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 am

As a CONSUMER ADVOCATE in PA (USA) for 12 years; I echo this advice.
More than 50% of the issues I handled, were for transactions involving USED CARS being mis-represented.
I doubt the legal recourse is any where near as "consumer friendly" here in Lima - BE VERY CAREFUL!

Philip :roll:
gww1966
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby gww1966 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:50 pm

very difficult to buy a good second hand car here.I usually buy from El Comercio or Mercado Libre.Every car I have ever bought needs considerable repairs doing .Usually about $2000 .The problem would appear to be the hundreds of useless mechanics here who just botch things up .Plus the individuals selling ,lie through their teeth.All in all pretty tricky .I have yet to find a recomendable garage.Probably easier to buy new .(not Chinese) .A reasonable new car can be found around the $10000 mark .Not too bad considering the high resale value .My nephew bought a brand new VW Gol for $11000.He bought it through his company hence the discount .He could use it a couple of years and probably sell it for $9500 Not bad really.If you buy second hand take a good mechanic to check the car ,and hit them where it hurts with the price .Good luck Graham
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Better use public transport than buying a car.

If you buy a second hand car then you will always be ripped off. Especially if you are a gringo. They will only sell you a car that's junk and overpriced.

A car only gives you stress and costs a lot of money.
You can't sleep in peace or sit in a restaurant or go to a shop relaxed because there's a big chance that when you go outside that your car will be stolen or broken into.
Vandalism is a big problem too. If you buy a new and nice car then people key it, scratch it, spit on it or puncture your tires.

If you still want to buy a car, then buying a new car is safer than a used one. When you buy a new one, you get 3 years warranty. Many of the second hand cars are cuts and shuts that have been involved in serious accidents abroad. And forget about looking at the odometer because they have been changed.
onurinal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby onurinal » Mon May 06, 2013 1:25 am

guys thanks for the comments.
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 am

onurinal wrote:guys thanks for the comments.

Yep, everyone commenting on this are correct. I personally experienced the ¨ripoff¨. We decided last year we needed a second car for emergencies, so I commenced looking at both options, either buy a cheaper new car, or a little larger used car. Given the fact, even though a could have bought a new car at only a few thousand dollars more than a used, the sales tax bill on purchasing a new car swayed me to look for a good used car. I searched and searched on net and in the periodicos, and had become frustrated with the overall condition of the cars (i.e., filthy, ragged interiors, battered, rusty bodies, smoking engine, etc.). Finally, I spied a very clean 2005 model Nissan, with only 60,000 Km on the odometer, very clean interior, no cracked or broken glass, smooth running engine, smooth shiny body, only minor attrition dents. It drove out well, had good tires. I checked through the police agency for any criminal past, or outstanding possible involvements in any illegalities regarding the car, the report was clean. I paid the asking price, which I knew was somewhat higher than it should have been, but given the cleanliness of it, and only 60,000 Km on it, I agreed to the price. After purchase, I took the car to Senati for the inspection, as required, it passed okay, but the brake pads & shoes were borderline, which didn´t bother me that much, it was to be expected with a used car. However, later in the month I was cleaning the car and discovered chips of broken glass under the seats, paint overspray on the backside of the front tires, which upon further investigation, it was revealed that the car was obviously wrecked substantially and repaired from a front-end collision. However, what disturbed me the most, I found a partial oil change sticker near the hinge of the door stating an oil change had transpired months previously when the car had 117,000 Km on it. Well, needless to say, I feel like a chump. I am told that all used car dealers, and even individuals selling used cars always turn back odometers here. I know not what laws, if any, are in place here to protect the consumer. Buyer beware! I wish I had bought a new car now! Many little things are starting to expose themselves in the past few months. It reminds me of the man who took bigger steps to save on his $50 shoes, and ripped his $100 suitpants. Bummer!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 am

GOOD LUCK with your situation; the US finally enacted strict penalties for "odometer fraud".
Let me know what transpires; I have a Peruvian attorney that I turst - but you may need someone who has more experience in this exact situation.

Best wishes,
gringo from uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringo from uk » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am

Hi. I don't think it is a good idea. Very likely You will be ripped off.You will need a constant care ,because the car mechanics here are useless. The quality of they work is low and You keep changing them constantly.I seriously would consider to buy the new car. USed car prices in Lima are high and You are paying extra tax called "gringo tax". Most of the peruvians have an understanding ,the gingos have money, and You will be charged extra.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed May 08, 2013 9:54 am

gringo from uk wrote:

Hi. I don't think it is a good idea. Very likely You will be ripped off.You will need a constant care ,because the car mechanics here are useless. The quality of they work is low and You keep changing them constantly.I seriously would consider to buy the new car. USed car prices in Lima are high and You are paying extra tax called "gringo tax". Most of the peruvians have an understanding ,the gingos have money, and You will be charged extra.

Although as I said earlier that second hand car dealers world wide have a terrible reputation, perhaps even more so in Peru, and through experience suggested that a new car might be the best option, I would be interested to hear of any personal experiences you might have had.
Do you assume that everyone advertising their car, in Neo auto for example, only expects "gringos" to buy them and prices them accordingly, or do you think when you ring up and inquire they apologies about the price mistake and bang a few thousand dollars on top because of your accent?
If you've been here any length of time you'll only pay the "gringo tax" if you are foolish enough to do so.
As for mechanics, like anywhere else in the world, expect to be taken for a ride especially if you know nothing about cars. Even the big dealerships can't always be trusted. Like any other service that you might need here, be it a doctor, dentist or simple shoe repairer if you seek advise then you will almost always be successful.
There are too many negative comments posted on all subjects, which makes me wonder why some people insist on being here.
gringo from uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringo from uk » Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 am

panman wrote:
gringo from uk wrote:

Although as I said earlier that second hand car dealers world wide have a terrible reputation, perhaps even more so in Peru, and through experience suggested that a new car might be the best option, I would be interested to hear of any personal experiences you might have had.
Do you assume that everyone advertising their car, in Neo auto for example, only expects "gringos" to buy them and prices them accordingly, or do you think when you ring up and inquire they apologies about the price mistake and bang a few thousand dollars on top because of your accent?
If you've been here any length of time you'll only pay the "gringo tax" if you are foolish enough to do so.
As for mechanics, like anywhere else in the world, expect to be taken for a ride especially if you know nothing about cars. Even the big dealerships can't always be trusted. Like any other service that you might need here, be it a doctor, dentist or simple shoe repairer if you seek advise then you will almost always be successful.
There are too many negative comments posted on all subjects, which makes me wonder why some people insist on being here.

I am terribly sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings. I shared my experience working in Peru.Well,some of us have to be here.I believe people coming to peru to get new life experience.If Your values in life are in the good order, than You will experience lots of negative living or working in the peru,what are not in line most common human values in life.How you can expect honesty from citizens, if there have been decades bad leadership and most horrible crimes against humanity by they very own leaders. People have negative comments,because they have negative experience and most importantly my friend, You asked the question, and all these kind people share with you they private experience.So did I. Best of luck.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:15 pm

I would rather have HONEST, PERSONAL EXPERIENCES - than sugar-coated to appease others.
Peru is very different from N. America, Europe, etc. - as there is strict legislation to thwart these activities.
Still all societies have people that spend their time - trying to RIP-OFF & SCAM people; soory to say.

Who said "An honest day's work (our service) for an honest day's pay"; was this an American president?
As a CONSUMER ADVOCATE for 12 years in the US; I never charged a fee for my time or court costs.
I allowed the client to pay:

* What they could afford
* What sort of compensation/settlement they received; but NEVER had any sort of contract.

If I didn't do a good job (or perceived as a good job); I didn't get paid - I WAS FINE WITH THAT!

vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu May 09, 2013 1:55 am

I spent a lot of time looking for both new and used cars. Msny people dont advertise price so yes when you call as a gringo and dont speak flawless spanish, they throw out some insane prices.

After i got really good at doing these calls,i realized it didnt matter, it was better to write down my questions and have a peruvian friend call for me. This guy liked to do it, and there was a difference in price:-)

Anyway my shopping experience, which was not limited to lima, was so sour that i ended up just using my friends unused car. It pays to have good friends who you can trust and who can trust you. I paid for some oil changes and always left a full tank, but it turned out to be much better than buying my own used car.

When i go back im planning to buy a hand me down from a friend, for a very "democratic" price :-)
Fortunantely he knows some amazing mechanics too! It wont be the model i really want but it will be worth it to buy from a trusted source.

The only time i came close to buying a good used car was from a friend who had a connection with some mining company and would buy their used trucks when they were upgrading their fleet and then he would resell. They were pretty beat up but mechanically well maintained.

One idea i had after my experience was a good web based used car sales site. Browsing classifieds was not that much fun, yet it seems like tons of used cars for sale, just ask around too, suerte
samson001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby samson001 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Like many of the expat folks who reside here in Peru, What I have come to expect is simple. All these folks care about is screwing the "Gringo". Be it family, Government, Local population, etc. The sad fact is that normal here is ripping, or sponging, off of everyone. Even the Government will fabricate new taxes and breach their own laws because all they really care about is the Money. Think of it this way when you are out and about at between 10Pm and 7:30Am.. What parent puts their 3 & 4 Year old children into the middle of busy streets to sell candy. Or better yet, look on the busses where Little children are used to gain sympathy and these folks flat out beg for money.It isn't about family or society, it is only for the money.... I have been ripped off by every one of my wifes family, They can't help themselves. But when you call them out on their bad behavior they act all insulted that you would even question why it was that they sold your possessions. Be very careful and exercise extreme caution. They don't care about you. In reality they don't even care about each other.......My wife, is so upset at the way we have been treated here that she wants to move back up to the states and never return....
Skipper Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Skipper Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Well I am going to go against everyone here. I wanted a car so I bought a old Volkswagen Beetle. 1972 vintage. I replaced the alternator and had it tuned up in the last 8 months or so. Repaired one tire. And replaced the battery. I get about 200 km per 50 soles of fuel. Gets me about a week, taking the daughter to school in the morning. I am a mechanic though. I find that the mechanics here do very good job with repairs. I never have any trouble with worries that someone is going to break into my car because I do not have a radio. I leave it all over town. It is not all that banged up and has a nice paint job. Redone interior so it is pleasant to drive. You can pick these up for $1500.00 to $2000.00. They are hard to kill and very easy to work on when needed. The best part about them is that they weave through traffic like no other. Personally I would hate to be without a car in Lima. Some things are just easier. Granted sometimes it is easier to take the bus, but it is much safer to take the car most of the time.

Dan
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:06 pm

The 70's VW, are a prized possession in the US; not fancy - but will run FOREVER!!!
I have had several VW's in my years; wish I had the space to store them, when I moved frequently.

Best wishes,

PS - would love to acquire a 1967 (or so) VW van; the ones with all the windows or a pickup of that era
PSS - any idea what such a "beauty" would cost; or even in what publications/web sites to look?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:The 70's VW, are a prized possession in the US; not fancy - but will run FOREVER!!!
I have had several VW's in my years; wish I had the space to store them, when I moved frequently.

Best wishes,

PS - would love to acquire a 1967 (or so) VW van; the ones with all the windows or a pickup of that era
PSS - any idea what such a "beauty" would cost; or even in what publications/web sites to look?

hey Philip,
I saw a 60's era volkswagen crewcab pickup in clasificados in El Comercio for $2000. I've seen many buses here too, but a lot of them are turned into mobile hamburger joints :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:26 pm

chi chi wrote:Better use public transport than buying a car.

If you buy a second hand car then you will always be ripped off. Especially if you are a gringo. They will only sell you a car that's junk and overpriced.

A car only gives you stress and costs a lot of money.
You can't sleep in peace or sit in a restaurant or go to a shop relaxed because there's a big chance that when you go outside that your car will be stolen or broken into.
Vandalism is a big problem too. If you buy a new and nice car then people key it, scratch it, spit on it or puncture your tires.

If you still want to buy a car, then buying a new car is safer than a used one. When you buy a new one, you get 3 years warranty. Many of the second hand cars are cuts and shuts that have been involved in serious accidents abroad. And forget about looking at the odometer because they have been changed.

Chi chi, you make me laugh! :lol:

Are you sure you are writing about Peru? Doesn't it happen in Europe, the most horrible place with lots and lots of thieves? :wink:
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:09 pm

My personal experience buying used cars in Lima, not so bad, I give you some tips:
1. Somebody already mentioned it, get a good Peruvian friend for to make calls for you and to talk to the seller.
2. Newspaper ads, just go to the good location where the rich or middle class people lives.
3. Buy directly from the owner, not like it's my grandma's car, etc., it should be the person who drove this car for at least for the last 2-3 years, ask if it was used as a taxi, big no-no.
4. Judge the car by it's owner and the house, the family, ask what the owner is doing for living, engineer, doctor, nurse, businessman with registered business, etc., use your common sense. An educated person who keeps the house and themselves clean, take good care of their cars.
All the above can be asked by phone, then go to see and ...
5. Take a good Peruvian mechanic with you. Peruvian mechanics mostly are good and they don't cheat if they see you know the subject.
6. Look at the car and ask questions including questions about the owner, family, etc.
7. Don't accept higher price that you were told over the phone and negotiate lowering the price, some people is desperate to sell and the price goes down.
8. Look at the car, interior, looking if the car was repainted totally, there are some old paint hidden places, ask about the car's history, take a look at the tires, open the trunk, the hood, pick up the carpets, cushions, look at the engine, oil spots inside of the car and underneath, wiring... everything should be ina decent condition but not shiny and cleaned, put attention to the radiator (if it has one), no leaking water or bumps, fixes there, make the owner start the car, listen the sound, no weird sounds or beat sounds, make the owner accelerate the car and at this moment put the clean napkin close to the escape, if it has black powder, bad news, it's burning oil and probably it needs some engine work.
9. Try the car yourself, feel it smooth? accelerate and stop abruptly, how do you feel the brakes? Ask your mechanic or at least your friend to inspect the car. A good mechanic will do almost the same as I described but the owner won't lie to your friend or mechanic just because they are Peruvians, not gringo zonzo.

If the car is in good conditions and it has a good price, buy it, it will be probably a good car. Of course, there is no warranty but you get better price from an owner and the dealers are not very honest anyway.

Good luck!
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:26 pm

SmartKitty wrote:My personal experience buying used cars in Lima, not so bad, I give you some tips:
1. Somebody already mentioned it, get a good Peruvian friend for to make calls for you and to talk to the seller.
2. Newspaper ads, just go to the good location where the rich or middle class people lives.
3. Buy directly from the owner, not like it's my grandma's car, etc., it should be the person who drove this car for at least for the last 2-3 years, ask if it was used as a taxi, big no-no.
4. Judge the car by it's owner and the house, the family, ask what the owner is doing for living, engineer, doctor, nurse, businessman with registered business, etc., use your common sense. An educated person who keeps the house and themselves clean, take good care of their cars.
5. Take a good Peruvian mechanic with you. Peruvian mechanics mostly are good and they don't cheat if they see you know the subject.
6. Look at the car and ask questions including questions about the owner, family, etc.
7. Don't accept higher price that you were told over the phone and negotiate lowering the price, some people is desperate to sell and the price goes down.
some very sound advise there
8. Look at the car, interior, looking if the car was repainted totally, there are some old paint hidden places, ask about the car's history, take a look at the tires, open the trunk, the hood, pick up the carpets, cushions, look at the engine, oil spots inside of the car and underneath, wiring... everything should be ina decent condition but not shiny and cleaned, put attention to the radiator (if it has one), no leaking water or bumps, fixes there, make the owner start the car, listen the sound, no weird sounds or beat sounds, make the owner accelerate the car and at this moment put the clean napkin close to the escape, if it has black powder, bad news, it's burning oil and probably it needs some engine work.
9. Try the car yourself, feel it smooth? accelerate and stop abruptly, how do you feel the brakes? Ask your mechanic or at least your friend to inspect the car. A good mechanic will do almost the same as I described but the owner won't lie to your friend or mechanic just because they are Peruvians, not gringo zonzo.

If the car is in good conditions and it has a good price, buy it, it will be probably a good car. Of course, there is no warranty but you get better price from an owner and the dealers are not very honest anyway.

Good luck!

some very good advise there SmartKitty :D For some reason I thought you were a girl?
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:08 pm

caliguy wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:My personal experience buying used cars in Lima, not so bad, I give you some tips:
some very sound advise there

Good luck!

some very good advise there SmartKitty :D For some reason I thought you were a girl?

I'm a girl!!! :evil:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:52 pm

oh, sorry :D you sure know a lot about cars :D
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:58 pm

caliguy wrote:

oh, sorry :D you sure know a lot about cars :D

... and not only about cars :lol:
dradford

Postby dradford » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 pm

How much are you looking to spend? I work at Colegio Roosevelt and one of our teachers is leaving and selling his 2007 Toyota Corolla, 4 door for $11,000.
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 am

We are selling our Honda Civic 1997 Asking $4500. We are moving back to the states on July 15th... call if interested 992775122, ask for Jim.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Purchased a new Kia some 5 years ago and touch wood never had a problem. I am glad I bought new and the Kia was a brilliant buy. Regular services, new battery and one set of pads is all that it has ever needed. In this climate the car has shown no signs of rust and the interior is as good as the day I bought it. I thought I would change up after two years, but decided to stay with it as the vehicle was so reliable. I wish you luck with your purchase but can recommend Kia every time.
PS if I was 30 years younger Fortunata would be my dream of the perfect partner. What a girl !!!!
BrownWendy

Postby BrownWendy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 am

I am just looking for the used BMW.Is there any kindly suggest me and post it with image and most probable quotes too.. :) :) :)

Return to “Buy & Sell”

Login  •  Register