Wanted- pre-pay cell phone

Post your items for sale here. Use a clear, descriptive subject line, and please consult our "Rules and Advice" before agreeing to meet a buyer or a seller. Take precautions.
cuyguy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Wanted- pre-pay cell phone

Postby cuyguy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I am looking to buy a simple little pre-pay phone from anyone who is willing to get rid of theirs. It doesn't have to be fancy or have any special features in addition to being a phone.

My husband and I have been here about 3 months. We have one Samsung pre-pay Claro phone. It was given to us by a friend when we first arrived. It's perfect but we need one more. It looks like we wont be getting our carnets any time soon with the way things are going so we can't purchase one for ourselves. So I was hoping someone had an old one they wanted to get rid of.

rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wanted- pre-pay cell phone

Postby rudder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Why would you need a "carnet" to buy a cell phone?
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Because it is a legal requirement, you need to present some kind of document at the phone company in order for them to issue a number.
It is in part used to control phones used for criminal activity.
Regards,

Argidd
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm

I purchased my pre-paid chip from Claro over a year ago just using my passport.

Have you tried asking Claro or Movistar if you can buy using your passport? I saw only the other day a pre-paid handset reduced to I think 69 soles with Claro.
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rudder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Danny55 wrote:I purchased my pre-paid chip from Claro over a year ago just using my passport.

Have you tried asking Claro or Movistar if you can buy using your passport? I saw only the other day a pre-paid handset reduced to I think 69 soles with Claro.

In Mexico I just needed to show my passport.

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:55 am

rudder wrote:
Danny55 wrote:I purchased my pre-paid chip from Claro over a year ago just using my passport.

In Mexico I just needed to show my passport.

But now you're in Peru :lol:
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:15 pm

The law is very clear, it is a drug trafficing law that you must have a carnet or passport to buy a cell phone, pre paid or post paid.

That being said, like most laws in Peru, they are rarely enforced, so if you keep asking, you will find someone that will sell you one.

I do not condone breaking the law, just sharing what I have observed.
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rudder » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:08 pm

OK, I´m getting a little fed up with the whole cell phone thing in Peru. I need to clarify the last post on this thread. Claro will not let you get a post pago plan without a carnet de extranjeria or a DNI. I haven´t met a Peruvian yet with a valid DNI that is willing to support me in this endeavor. It´s pretty frustrating. Isn´t there a way to just hack free phone service?

Another thing that is annoying is how much the competing companies gouge their customers by charging more for calls to numbers outside of their company.

danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:12 am

I dont have a carnet and I have a Claro phone plan. Even if you couldnt get one, just have a friend get you one. Just go to the supermarket and pick up a cheap new phone for s/50.
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rudder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I was able to get a prepaid pago plan without a problem using the friend method, but getting the post pago plan seems to be really difficult.

clairebear

Postby clairebear » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:40 pm

You don't need a carnet to buy a pre-pago chip, but you do need one to get a post-pago plan or to buy a phone. I don't have my carnet (yet, it's in the works!), but my boyfriend helped me buy a phone and his friend took out another phone line which I'm using.

Cuyguy, I hope you found a phone. I might have something if you still need it, otherwise... there's a huge amount of "informality" in Peru and you can definitely get a phone through those channels. I don't condone it, but it seems to be a way of life here.
Stacy_E826
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Stacy_E826 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:26 pm

I have one that I am not using anymore, it is in fair condition

Return to “Buy & Sell”

Login  •  Register