Internet Speed & Reliability

This is a place for people who are operating a business in Peru, or who are planning on starting one.

Moderator: sbaustin

jpt2005

Internet Speed & Reliability

Postby jpt2005 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi there,

Well I'm considering relocating to Lima or perhaps a smaller city within the next 6 months. I work as a web developer and designer and I would need reliable high speed internet access. My question is, dear readers, how does internet access to compare to north america(I'm in Toronto, Canada). While I expect it's not as fast...is it reliable and fast? How long does it take you to download an 800 MB movie on average? I'm considering Lima/Cuzco/Arequipa, but I'm betting the it will have to be Lima because there may be better service there(please comment).

Thanks in advance!

PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Internet Speed & Reliability

Postby PTTurboe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 am

4 Mb is about as fast as you can get. I have TelMex and am in Lima. It is pretty fast during the day but slows down after school time (4pm) until about 7:30pm.

I am not sure if that link worked:

Download 3.76Mb/s

Upload .31Mb/s

Ping 413 ms
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:56 am

When I upload a website (full or new) I use Claro. I have a 3.5Mb USB Key.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm

TelMex has a 10 mega now available for home, but it is expensive, 500 Soles a month.
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 am

Really?????

Count me in - that is my business....
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:24 am

americorps wrote:TelMex has a 10 mega now available for home, but it is expensive, 500 Soles a month.

VERY limited availability. I live in a populated area of Miraflores but it's not available in my building :cry: :cry: :cry:
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:27 am

I have Speedy 2Mb and it is fine for me. I stream live NFL games at 720p with 1.6Mb no problem. I watched the opening Saints-Vikings game hooked up to my LCD TV via an HDMI port and it looked pretty sweet. Not true HD but damn close. I also work all day long (10 hours) / play online poker etc. and have very few issues. Reliability is pretty decent but customer services with Telefonica is a nightmare.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm

5mb as a Trio from Cable Magico is what I have. Sometimes doesnt work, but that rarely happens and when I call, Telefonica comes a few hours later to repair the line.
jchambilla

Postby jchambilla » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 am

I think we need to keep in mind that claro (former TELMEX) and Telefonica just guarantee 10% or 15% of wathever the plan you choose. Here in Peru these Internet providers focus in the download speed rather than the upload speed.
Internet providers like Americatel or Millicom (they provide internet just to companies not to home users) can adjust the upload/download speed to your needs.
As other member said before, also is important before you choose the place where to live (I can talk just for Lima, don't know anything about Arequipa u other cities in Peru) be sure if you will have the internet access that you want, asking the neighbors will be a way to find out.

My 5 cents...
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:00 pm

jchambilla wrote:I think we need to keep in mind that claro (former TELMEX)

I was wondering about that. I was @ Larcomar a few days ago, and I saw the Claro logo on the side of those green and yellow buildings. I could've sworn it said Telmex the last time I was there.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :lol:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 am

Saw this note today on Andina:

Lima, Nov. 14 (ANDINA). Peru ranks 6th in high-speed Internet connection in South America, with 1.17 megabytes per second (Mbit/s), according to Royal Pingdom web site, which includes a broadband speed ranking in different countries.

This list of countries ranges from South Korea with 16.63 Mbit/s, Hong Kong with 8.57 Mbit/s, Japan with 8.03 Mbit/s, Romania 6.80 Mbit/s and Holland 6.50 Mbit/s.

In Latin America, Chile’s Internet connection reaches a speed of 2.19 Mbit/s, Colombia 1.65 Mbit/s, Argentina 1.55 Mbit/s, Mexico 1.49 Mbit/s and Brazil 1.36 Mbit/s.

Peru’s broadband connection speed to is higher than those of other emerging economies such as China and India, reaching 0.86 Mbit/s and 0.82 Mbit/s respectively, and Venezuela, 0.72 Mbit/s of speed.

Peru’s Ministry of Transport and Communications (MTC) pointed out that up to now, Peru has more than one million Internet users, an important advance in this sector.

“One of the goals for 2016 is to reach four million broadband connection in Peru, with 512 kilobits per second (Kbit/s),” said Peru’s Minister of Transport and Communication, Enrique Cornejo.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

I am happy with my 5mb-speedy.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Oliver S wrote:Image

I am happy with my 5mb-speedy.

Good gravy, 6550 miles away from the server??!!

For comparison, my connection in the states.

FWIW, I haven't had problems with my connection when I was in Peru, moreso the pc's than the connection. I'm a bit surprised the internet places down there haven't switched over to Ubuntu, I think their computers would run a lot better if they did.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Mi novia is in San Juan de Lurigancho and has some very speedy internet, despite that being a suburb. I will do a speed test next time I am there, to be sure. But get this: I have Verizon FIOS in Florida, and yet it is MY internet that usually drops Skype calls, not hers.

For what it's worth, I have noticed a lot of problems with my Verizon service overall; FIOS seems to be throttled, as well as my data card speed. Not sure what's up there. A normal speed test shows fine results, but Skype and other bandwidth hog applictions run slower, which would point to Verizon using "smart throttling" to slow down certain ports or apps. Also, many people have complained about Verizon FIOS routers, which are terrible hardware units, with intentionally crippled firmware.

I am a huge fan of streaming video, gave up TV a long time ago. I hope I can get fast enough connection for that. I know when I was last at mi novia's house, I was watching streaming video without a problem, but I didn't do any specific tests. I am hoping I get higher speeds than what was reported here.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:26 pm

rama0929 wrote:
Good gravy, 6550 miles away from the server??!!

For comparison, my connection in the states.

FWIW, I haven't had problems with my connection when I was in Peru, moreso the pc's than the connection. I'm a bit surprised the internet places down there haven't switched over to Ubuntu, I think their computers would run a lot better if they did.

Well I took an european server for the test.

Anyway, much better than these 5mb you cant get it. Its annoying of course, especially when you see how cheap a 50mb-service in Europe is - 10times faster than here but half the price..:( One day it will be better.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:27 pm

rama0929 wrote: I'm a bit surprised the internet places down there haven't switched over to Ubuntu, I think their computers would run a lot better if they did.

Ubuntu is a kick-butt OS, but I am nto sure how that would improve Peru's overall internet infrastructure. Ultimately, the service is only as fast as the infrastructure. The user's OS will have minimal impact.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Xibalba wrote:
rama0929 wrote: I'm a bit surprised the internet places down there haven't switched over to Ubuntu, I think their computers would run a lot better if they did.

Ubuntu is a kick-butt OS, but I am nto sure how that would improve Peru's overall internet infrastructure. Ultimately, the service is only as fast as the infrastructure. The user's OS will have minimal impact.

I'm referring more to the pc's performance, than anything else. Ubuntu would be an improvement over the pirated Windows OS that seem to be prevalent in these internet places.
schaudha

Postby schaudha » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 am

I am in the similar situation as the posted. I develop video chat like software so I need very good speed.

-Do you think renting a small office space either separate or shared in commercial building solve this issue? Any idea how would get such a place?

- Can I get commercial plans for internet at home office aka apartment? I don't mind paying up to $200/month.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated regarding solution to this issue. This is the only thing stopping me from staying here longer. :)
gwiffey

Postby gwiffey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Hello all, does anyone have any updates on accessibility to high speed internet (the last response was 4 years ago)? Any information would be appreciated!
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marlia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Hello gwiffey,

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3972255025

Mine is:

Ping: 12ms
Download Speed: 3.92Mbps
Upload: 0.50 Mbps

Claro, I paid S/. 89 per month for Internet 4Mb and package of 250plus (Telefono Fijo)
gwiffey

Postby gwiffey » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks Marlia! That's very helpful to see practical results. How does your internet compare to others? Do you know people who can get internet that's faster?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:27 pm

I get about 15Mbps download and about 2Mbps upload at my house.. You can see the plans on claro and movistar's web pages.

Here is the speedtest from my office in Lima:

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 pm

This was my 4g test speed today. Movistar at least to its own servers is pretty damn fast.

crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:01 pm

sbaustin wrote:This was my 4g test speed today. Movistar at least to its own servers is pretty damn fast.

awesome. i can't get higher than 10 m, and they say its because of where I live. I guess Miraflores isn't good enough..
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 pm

This is my speed in Santa Maria, freshly installed.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:40 pm

fanning, those are some great speeds. Over the last year or two, internet speeds have finally arrived which I think is a great thing.

crazytaco, at my house(MF) and office(SI) we have a cable modem which we get about 15mb download/2mb upload. If you have DSL, it will cap out probably around 7 or 8.

My 4g test was in San Isidro and the same phone on claro using 4g is about 8mbs which is pretty crappy.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 pm

On a similar note, does anyone use FTPs like FileZilla? If so, have you noticed transfer speeds have dropped dramatically recently? I'm wondering if this is because of limitations between different ISPs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm

I use filezilla (both server and client). I just ran a test to one of my servers and the speed is the same as it was.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 pm

sbaustin wrote:I use filezilla (both server and client). I just ran a test to one of my servers and the speed is the same as it was.

Thanks for letting me know. I did a speed test on my connection, so it's not that. So I'm a bit puzzled now. In the space of a week or so, I've gone down from about 600 KiB/s to about 15 KiB/s. I've tried reinstalling, but it made no difference. I've followed all the suggestions for increasing download speed by changing the transfer settings in the site manager, but no luck. I'll try and think of something else.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:02 pm

I've been working remotely while border hopping in Peru/Ecuador for the last year. My advice would be summed up as
LIVE NEAR IN A BIG CITY OR BY THE PAN AMERICANA where the fibre optics run. I was in Los Olivos for a while, fast internet, right now i'm in Mancora, fast internet.

Mines all PHP wordpressy web stuff so small file sizes but I've always been alrite. Unfortuntely I moved to Montanita in Ecuador for a month and had a disaster there as the internet is practically dial up!

Return to “Focus on Business”

Login  •  Register