Internet Speed & Reliability

This is a place for people who are operating a business in Peru, or who are planning on starting one.

Moderator: sbaustin

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Internet Speed & Reliability

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:40 pm

I got a letter from Movistar say they're increasing the speed from 20 to 40 mbps in my area for only 10 soles extra a month. Now, if their service and customer service were more reliable and I didn't have several down days a month, I'd be rather happy. Still, on the positive side, even if they get can get an average of somewhere between 30% and 50%, it will still be more than double the velocity I was getting just two years ago for about the same price.

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:39 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I got a letter from Movistar say they're increasing the speed from 20 to 40 mbps in my area for only 10 soles extra a month.

Hmm, over by me the cost of jumping from 20 to 40 Mbps is almost double (I think it was a 90% increase when I calculated it). Maybe I should check if the prices have changed. How much is 40 Mbps by you now?
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:51 pm

I've found the internet to be pretty stable, but it has been down for maintenance on the block for a couple hours about 3 times over the past couple of months.

I really enjoyed the trial 100 Mbps speed that was offered for 3 months. But it recently dropped back down to 15 Mbps. Sigh.

We decided to pay to upgrade back up to 20 Mbps since the price difference % was much less than the speed increase %. But Movistar really demonstrated their systemic incompetence with this minor upgrade: They sent out a crew to replace the cable modem/router. That was bad enough, considering they could have easily just done the upgrade from the office (which they aptly demonstrated when they downgraded it from 100 Mbps to 15 Mbps). But worse, the new device that they tried to stick me with did NOT support Bridge mode. Therefore I could not use my own Wifi router and expect my IP cameras to be remotely accessible. After they fiddled around for 30 min I told them to forget about the upgrade as I am sticking with the cable modem/router they gave me last time (Ubee) that has a simple NAT/Bridge toggle on the admin page.

We'll try to upgrade again later, but we'll make it VERY clear during the call that they better not schedule a visit as they can damn well handle the upgrade from their office without sending people out.

On another note, we had been shifted over to a carrier grade NAT (CGN) about a month ago, which resulted in my router not being assigned a public IP. Instead it was assigned a CGN IP (100.x.x.x). That had made accessing my IP cameras remotely impossible. Thankfully, after calling Movistar and getting bounce around to five different people, we finally got to the correct person who asked us why we need a public IP. After explaining why, the person said they'd reconfigure things so I'd get a public IP again. So yay... it took some effort, but at least it happened.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Movie star sucks unfortunately the only other two Alternatives Claro and Olo are worse. We'll see how Direct TV satellite internet services once I get it up and running all over town but I'm not sanguine. Just as an interesting aside Spain has a consumer affairs department where consumers can go to complain about private businesses. telefonica de Espana accounts for 74% of all complaints filed in Spain.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 am

This so called doubling from 20 to 40 I think is a scam. Our home internet was "upgraded" and the max speed is 8 Mbps now.

In my office we have Claro for internet through their business department. The service we get from Claro at least relating to business is almost a polar opposite of Movistar/Telefonica. Claro will call, show up and follow up several times about service. It is quite a contrast although it might just be related to being a business customer.

How does their home service compare if anyone uses them?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:56 am

I'm in a new urbanizacion and Claro doesn't provide service here so we went with CableStar/Star Global (division of Movistar) because we don't need the land line that MoviStar bundles in for a higher price.

5 Mbps is S/. 89, S/. 159 with the cable tv package. Pretty stable but a few days a month it goes in and out for a bit. Speed seems fine for our use. S/. 20 more for 10 Mbps or S/. 40 more for 20 Mbps, but haven't felt the need for that kind of speed.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:22 pm

sbaustin wrote:This so called doubling from 20 to 40 I think is a scam. Our home internet was "upgraded" and the max speed is 8 Mbps now.

In my office we have Claro for internet through their business department. The service we get from Claro at least relating to business is almost a polar opposite of Movistar/Telefonica. Claro will call, show up and follow up several times about service. It is quite a contrast although it might just be related to being a business customer.

How does their home service compare if anyone uses them?

Not a scam from my experience. When I had three months of 100 Mbps, I really had that speed. I confirmed it with Speed Test. And now that my trial period ended and I'm back down to 15 Mbps, Speed Test is showing a solid 15 Mbps bandwidth download speed (and 1.7 Mbps upload speed).

Is your internet access via DSL or cable? If it is DSL, then anything over 8 Mbps is a scam, as that is the maximum that the DSL tech Movistar uses can handle. I know because I ordered 10 Mbps DSL once before, and it tested out at only 8 Mbps. When I called they confirmed that their DSL technology maxed out at 8 Mbps. So yes, the 10 Mbps was a scam.

But their cable modem technology can handle 100 Mbps now, no problem.

Does Claro even offer cable modem internet? The only offering from them in my area is DSL.

DSL sucks. Never get DSL unless you you don't really use the internet much and don't care about speed or reliability. In that case I guess it is fine. No, not really... DSL just sucks. The high powered signals they have to send down the copper wire to make DSL work actually destroys the DSL modems after a while, so at some point your internet access starts to get less and less reliable, and then it just dies. DSL is just a crappy technology designed to let companies that have copper telephone wire all over the place eek out a little more revenue from their investment. But it just isn't anywhere near as good as internet over coaxial. And coaxial will eventually suck compared to fiber once that starts being delivered directly to homes. But for now, coaxial is the way to go.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:03 am

My internet is via coax (cable modem) and maxes out at 8Mbps even though they just upgraded it to 40 for an extra s/10 a month.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 am

sbaustin wrote:My internet is via coax (cable modem) and maxes out at 8Mbps even though they just upgraded it to 40 for an extra s/10 a month.

I assume you've called to complain? They need to send out someone to look into that.

I have two cable modems thru Movistar, one in Surco and one at my beach house. They both achieve the full bandwidth they are rated for (15 Mbps and 60 Mbps, respectively).

I test using Speed Test.

You may want to connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to the cable modem to.make sure the WiFi is not the weak link. Are you using your own WiFi router or the WiFi router built into the cable modem? The built in one sucks. I disable it, switch the cable modem to Bridge mode, and use my own WiFi router that is much superior.

Speed Test from my beach house:
Last edited by gringolandia on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks for the advice, I prefer to test over Ethernet. I believe they are probably throttling us due to the amount of streaming traffic we use.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Speedtest is not really a good quality meter of your Internet connection. It is maybe an estimate how good it can be, during certain hours, to certain destinations. But believe me many services from outside Peru will be sluggish even on a "fast" line.

Skype call US <-> Peru : always problems
Skype call Spain <-> Peru : always problems
Skype call Spain <-> US always good

cannot be coincidence.

Youtube on 16 mbit Movistar: always sluggish, interruptions, takes long to load.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:57 pm

gringolandia wrote:DSL sucks. Never get DSL unless you you don't really use the internet much and don't care about speed or reliability. In that case I guess it is fine. No, not really... DSL just sucks. The high powered signals they have to send down the copper wire to make DSL work actually destroys the DSL modems after a while, so at some point your internet access starts to get less and less reliable, and then it just dies. DSL is just a crappy technology designed to let companies that have copper telephone wire all over the place eek out a little more revenue from their investment. But it just isn't anywhere near as good as internet over coaxial. And coaxial will eventually suck compared to fiber once that starts being delivered directly to homes. But for now, coaxial is the way to go.

That is not true. It may sux in Peru as the infrastructure is just crap, however do not blame the technology for that! DSL is a far better technology than shared medium Ethernet over coax. You have a point to point connection to the DSLAM. Cable shares the line for various customers. Best of course would be fiber however who can pay for that...
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Seriously, you've got such a pathetic life that you've decided to trawl through old threads I've posted in so you can troll me. You're a waste of carbon, not to mention a buffoon.

Even ADSL2+ has a maximum download speed of 24Mbps (and only if you're very close to the DSLAM), and maximum upload speed of *less* than 1Mbbps. So the absolute top ADSL speed (and I don't think ADSL2+ is even available in Peru) is equivalent to entry level coax speed, with the maximum you can now get in Lima being 200Mbps.

And what happens at the DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer )? Your internet broadband is grouped with all of the other DSL subscribers in the area, so you're sharing bandwidth with your neighbors anyway. Also, ADSL maxes out the theoretical bandwidth of telephone wire so it is highly subject to any line disturbance whatsoever, and ADSL modems are also highly subject to burn out.

The only reason to get DSL is if you simply cannot get a better internet connection via coax or fiber. Stop spreading disinformation, and stop quoting me so I have to see your idiot posts even though I've blocked you.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm

gringolandia wrote:Seriously, you've got such a pathetic life that you've decided to trawl through old threads I've posted in so you can troll me. You're a waste of carbon, not to mention a buffoon.

Even ADSL2+ has a maximum download speed of 24Mbps (and only if you're very close to the DSLAM), and maximum upload speed of *less* than 1Mbbps. So the absolute top ADSL speed (and I don't think ADSL2+ is even available in Peru) is equivalent to entry level coax speed, with the maximum you can now get in Lima being 200Mbps.

And what happens at the DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer )? Your internet broadband is grouped with all of the other DSL subscribers in the area, so you're sharing bandwidth with your neighbors anyway. Also, ADSL maxes out the theoretical bandwidth of telephone wire so it is highly subject to any line disturbance whatsoever, and ADSL modems are also highly subject to burn out.

The only reason to get DSL is if you simply cannot get a better internet connection via coax or fiber. Stop spreading disinformation, and stop quoting me so I have to see your idiot posts even though I've blocked you.

Never heard about VDSL and turboDSL apparently? I'm sorry to be not responsible for you having only retarded information.
DSL technology easily delivers 200mbps all across Europe. In a DSLAM the traffic is usually forwarded over ATM or MPLS which guarantees bandwidth to customer's traffic. On cable Internet you have a shared connection until you reach the next concentrator where it should then also go over ATM or MPLS, however until then you may suffer lots of congestion.

I'm really sorry that you have no idea what you are talking about, but I cannot change that.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm

With Europe being about 9000km away from Lima, that's slightly further than the maximum range of VDSL.

As soon as a telecom in Peru starts offering VDSL you get back to me and let us know how smart you are to recommend DSL. As I already said, I doubt you can currently find a telecom in Peru that even offers ADSL2+.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm

gringolandia wrote:With Europe being about 9000km away from Lima, that's slightly further than the maximum range of VDSL.

As soon as a telecom in Peru starts offering VDSL you get back to me and let us know how smart you are to recommend DSL. As I already said, I doubt you can currently find a telecom in Peru that even offers ADSL2+.

And this how relates to DSL being a bad technology? What you mean is rather: "Peru's DSL infrastructure is retarded and cable actually works better here" - but please do not blame the technology itself.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm sure that's very interesting for all the lost and confused people on this expatPERU forum who are wondering about the pros and cons of coaxial vs VDSL2 in Europe. :roll:

You're a wellspring of relevant information. Truly we don't deserve you.
atpe

Postby atpe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 am

gringolandia wrote:With Europe being about 9000km away from Lima, that's slightly further than the maximum range of VDSL.

I totally agree

Return to “Focus on Business”

Login  •  Register