investing in property

This is a place for people who are operating a business in Peru, or who are planning on starting one.

Moderator: sbaustin

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

investing in property

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 am

I cancelled my plan of starting up a hostel. I think it's going to be too much work and be too stressfull.

So, I am going to buy a few brandnew flats to rent out.

I noticed her on expatperu that's there often a demand for furnished short term (and sometimes long term) flats.
I have seen a few 2 and 3 bedroom flats. Which ones will be more in demand?
In which districts will there be a demand? San Isidro, Miraflores and Barranco isn't within my budget. Which districts outside those will be popular. Maybe Magdalena, Pueblo Libre or Chorillos??? Flats are still sold there at a still affordable price.

How much can I charge for a 2 or 3 bed place furnished on a short term basis.

I don't want to work together with a corredor or so because I want to offer my customers an honest service. I want to charge an all in price without hidden extras or hassle about deposits.

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: investing in property

Postby fanning » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

We have some furnished apartments which we rent out ( all in Miraflores ) We rent them between $50 and $80 a night, but longer stays get discounts. We do pay our taxes over that.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 am

fanning wrote:We have some furnished apartments which we rent out ( all in Miraflores ) We rent them between $50 and $80 a night, but longer stays get discounts. We do pay our taxes over that.

Thanks for the info fanning.

How and where do you declare and pay the taxes. Do you need RUC for that?
Do you ask for a deposit for the short term rents?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am

Have a look at http://orientacion.sunat.gob.pe/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100:01-rentas-de-primera-categoria-arrendamiento-alquiler&catid=38:1era-categoria-arrendamiento&Itemid=63
You need a RUC, and you can pay either in any bank, with a form http://orientacion.sunat.gob.pe/images/normas/guia1683.pdf or you pay online with a credit card or you allow Sunat to withdraw from your (Peruvian) bank account.
We ask a US$200 - US$250 deposit, which we return if their are no damages on checkout.
I would recommend 2 bedroom apartments, not 3. Because 3 bedroom apartments are more for larger groups, and they tend to cause more damages. ( parties etc. ) And don't put wooden / laminate floors, as for some misterious reason guests always manage to make water damages, which then causes to ruin your whole floor. Better put from the beginning a ceramic floor.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:03 pm

ST rentals range from $20-$250/NT, depending on location/furnishings/views/competition/amenities/level of service. I have been doing it for almost 10 years and you get out of it,what you put into it. Taxes are only 5% for residents, I imagine they are 30% for non-residents. Used to be you could pay one off in 3 1/2-4 1/2 years at current prices probably 10-12 unless you get a real bargain.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:40 pm

fanning wrote: And don't put wooden / laminate floors, as for some misterious reason guests always manage to make water damages, which then causes to ruin your whole floor. Better put from the beginning a ceramic floor.

In those new condominiums in Lima, they all put wood are laminate flooring. Or even worser: carpet :shock:

Alpineprince wrote:ST rentals range from $20-$250/NT, depending on location/furnishings/views/competition/amenities/level of service. I have been doing it for almost 10 years and you get out of it,what you put into it. Taxes are only 5% for residents, I imagine they are 30% for non-residents. Used to be you could pay one off in 3 1/2-4 1/2 years at current prices probably 10-12 unless you get a real bargain.

I am buying places that are pre venta. There's a lot of difference in price between a place that's sold before it's constructed and a place that's ready to move in.

I will only buy from big companies that build large buildings. Not the smaller individual builders. I don't trust them. I've see a lot of shabby places built by them and I think there little after service.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 am

i have been looking at property in Punta Negra, in a very quiet area, away from the center. do any of you have views about this area? would it be a good investment? good points vs bad points. i looked at a house for sale there this past Sunday that is for sale, it is a beautiful place. i attached a link to the website where it is advertised. opinions would be greatly appreciated!

articulo.mercadolibre.com.pe/MPE-402787924-vendo-casa-de-estreno-en-playa-punta-negra-_JM
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 am

caliguy wrote:i have been looking at property in Punta Negra, in a very quiet area, away from the center. do any of you have views about this area? would it be a good investment? good points vs bad points. i looked at a house for sale there this past Sunday that is for sale, it is a beautiful place. i attached a link to the website where it is advertised. opinions would be greatly appreciated!

articulo.mercadolibre.com.pe/MPE-402787924-vendo-casa-de-estreno-en-playa-punta-negra-_JM

Look like a nice crib. Especially with the swimming pool.

Punta Negra might look nice to be in the beginning but I think that after a time it might become dull as there isn't a lot around to see or to do. Shops will be far away too.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:56 am

chi chi wrote:
caliguy wrote:i have been looking at property in Punta Negra, in a very quiet area, away from the center. do any of you have views about this area? would it be a good investment? good points vs bad points. i looked at a house for sale there this past Sunday that is for sale, it is a beautiful place. i attached a link to the website where it is advertised. opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Look like a nice crib. Especially with the swimming pool.

Punta Negra might look nice to be in the beginning but I think that after a time it might become dull as there isn't a lot around to see or to do. Shops will be far away too.

that is exactly why i like it. its quiet and peaceful, you can actually hear the birds chirping. no traffic noise whats-so-ever. what do you think of the future of Punta Negra will be? i have seen homes for rent there in the $2000 range.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
janemabel

Postby janemabel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:59 am

I assume that rental income received by a corporation that owns properties is taxed at the corporate tax rate of 29.5%.
(Not considering the SME tax system)

Is that the case, or is there a separate rate for rental income for corporations?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:47 pm

No, and you have to give factura electronica ( not facturas manuales )

Return to “Focus on Business”

Login  •  Register