Incorporating a business - employing myself!

This is a place for people who are operating a business in Peru, or who are planning on starting one.

Moderator: sbaustin

Kintarian Amaru

Incorporating a business - employing myself!

Postby Kintarian Amaru » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi there!

I have previously lived in Peru for 2 years and have now returned here to permanently immigrate and settle. I intend to first become a resident, later a citizen. I am a New Zealand citizen of 47 years. I am familiar with the new residency rules and the normal ways of opening a business requiring an investment of $30,000. I have been to a law firm here who told me I do not need the $30K and can open a business, then employ myself in it and that way obtain residency. They would charge me $3,200 for the whole process: incorporation, residency and their fees all inclusive and it would take up to 3 months to complete, no trips to Lima required on my part. A good friend from the UK just did the same the Peruvian lawyer way. It cost him 4,000 Soles, 6 months and about 2 or 3 trips to Lima, one to get Interpol check up. He is now a business owner and never had to have $30K either. My lawyer told me that I would need a silent partner to go the above route, a person who already lives here, be they Peruvian or not is irrelevant. They won't have any input in the business which can be set up legally in advance but they need to be there. I still don't know why, maybe someone here can explain.

So in view of already knowing all of the above, I would like to find out the following information please:

1) why do I need a silent partner
2) can I do all the above without a lawyer altogether and if so, where do I start the process exactly. I am based in Cusco and would like to avoid having to travel back to Lima as much as possible.
3) what are the costs involved of doing this all on my own
4) I wish to operate my business as a sole trader (no staff, just personal healing/transformation coaching practice), what is my best business format for this?

I am not interested in getting a job here just to get residency as it would only take me away from my crucial work I'm here to do. And I would like to get everything done as cheaply as possible, preferably without involving lawyers altogether. I have had various businesses over the years in New Zealand and always did everything without lawyers. So I don't see why I should start now. I don't mind doing the necessary legwork myself as long as it saves me having to spend unnecessary money.

I look forward to hearing from anyone, who knows about the above non-$30K pathway, could give me clear info on where to start my process and can help me answer some or all my above questions. Thank you kindly in advance.

Best wishes,

Kintarian Amaru

mikel fuller

Re: Incorporating a business - employing myself!

Postby mikel fuller » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Good afternoon,
I just wanted to be clear. Did you say that your lawyer said that all you need to do is open a business in your name, employ yourself and then apply for citizenship? Is that correct?
So if I wanted, I could open a business with a silent partner then employ my silent partner and when he/she is ready to move here start the process of getting them citizenship?

Curious
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Kintarian Amaru wrote:4) I wish to operate my business as a sole trader (no staff, just personal healing/transformation coaching practice), what is my best business format for this?

You must employ at least 4 Peruvians. And pay them all the benefits of the law. Minimum wage, sickness pay, 13th month, holiday pay, pension contributions,...

Kintarian Amaru wrote:I have been to a law firm here who told me I do not need the $30K and can open a business, then employ myself in it and that way obtain residency. They would charge me $3,200 for the whole process: incorporation, residency and their fees all inclusive and it would take up to 3 months to complete, no trips to Lima required on my part. A good friend from the UK just did the same the Peruvian lawyer way. It cost him 4,000 Soles, 6 months and about 2 or 3 trips to Lima, one to get Interpol check up. He is now a business owner and never had to have $30K either. My lawyer told me that I would need a silent partner to go the above route, a person who already lives here, be they Peruvian or not is irrelevant. They won't have any input in the business which can be set up legally in advance but they need to be there. I still don't know why, maybe someone here can explain.

Sounds like a scam.
Paying $3200 and nothing happens or he will ''find'' problems and extra (invented) requirements requiring more money to complete the ''process''. As you easily handed over $3200, he will be assured that you will easily hand over even more money. For sure, he will tell you that the $3200 isn't refundable so as you will believe that he's really helping you and you don't want to lose your money, you will cough up even more money.

Lawyers are like loansharks and consultants. The most expensive middleman and they will most likely take you for a ride.

You can do the whole process yourself at an immigration office. The staff are helpful and will help you out without any additional costs.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

If you are still abroad then you have no choice but to hire a firm to organize all the requirements in Peru.

If you are in Peru then I would say you do some more homework. USD 3200 sounds like a lot of money. There are quite a few firms that offer similar services, some can be found the forums here.

I have heard of the silent partner maze before. To me it always sounds tricky, because, well this is Peru. If you go for the silent partner option I would always meet the people first and do some due diligence.
acastanedaf

Postby acastanedaf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:41 pm

I am a lawyer in Tarapoto and I work with expats here. I will be more than happy to give you some advice. Feel free to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/ariannacastanedaf/ Whatsapp: +91 956254776
Arianna
Donnie123

Postby Donnie123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 am

I think you can do for yourself but you must to know speak Spanish

-and I think is not necessary the 30 K to get the residency ( no citizenship)
you will need a silent partner or a friend who can give a job and temporal and then a a residence for a worker residence.

IT is not so difficult like Europe or USA only try because you don't need a lawyer, lawyer only when you made some mistakes in immigration like stay too much time,or some kind of problem. but you will need time you must to go to peru and do everything like go to get your Interpol files, then sunat allowed special to sign contract and then go to migraciones to wait a time 3 to 6 month and you get your residence beyond it that the business can keep you working or not is irrelevant.
If I were in Lima I could help you with this but I am out.

look to married some Peruvian woman and in one month to 3 and get your residence it could be for love or not it is irrelevant because you can feel different kind of love not only romantic. even I could present some friend of mine could happy to do it. but only if you decision is to do the well in Peru.I mean create prosperity and happiness. good luck

If you are going to peru to delinquency or you are a psycho i will find you and give you to the police
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am

Donnie123 wrote:If you are going to peru to delinquency or you are a psycho i will find you and give you to the police

:lol: :lol: :lol: This made my day

Return to “Focus on Business”

Login  •  Register