Advice on New Business Opportunities

This is a place for people who are operating a business in Peru, or who are planning on starting one.

Moderator: sbaustin

lowellhamilton

Advice on New Business Opportunities

Postby lowellhamilton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I Have been living in Peru for about 15 years --I married a woman from Iquitos and have two children here --I started a coffee shop in Iquitos using Cafe Britt --It was fairly successful but i wasn't aware that the tourist going to Iquitos to go on tours were pretty much sequestered until they went to the jungle --It did make a small profit --I operated it about 4 years ---I also opened a large mini market on a main street. It was exceptionally successful after i attached an American style barbecue restaurant and it was turning a good profit ---
I have currently opened a small coffee shop in Jesus Maria. It has only been open a couple months but is growing rapidly. I think the key to operating a successful business here is to find a trust worthy Peruvian that speaks English --(If you don't speak Spanish) and train them and have them deal with the permits, etc.
I started this thread for anyone thinking about starting a business here or get advice about permits, etc. Will be happy to share my experience, good and bad, with you and help you anyway i can.

Jmurdockw

Re: Advice on New Business Opportunities

Postby Jmurdockw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 pm

interesting, i am considering a similar project myself. i may be in touch with you with questions concerning permits as soon as it takes off...
ethunhunt75

Postby ethunhunt75 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 pm

lowellhamilton wrote:I Have been living in Peru for about 15 years --I married a woman from Iquitos and have two children here --I started a coffee shop in Iquitos using Cafe Britt --It was fairly successful but i wasn't aware that the tourist going to Iquitos to go on tours were pretty much sequestered until they went to the jungle --It did make a small profit --I operated it about 4 years ---I also opened a large mini market on a main street. It was exceptionally successful after i attached an American style barbecue restaurant and it was turning a good profit ---
I have currently opened a small coffee shop in Jesus Maria. It has only been open a couple months but is growing rapidly. I think the key to operating a successful business here is to find a trust worthy Peruvian that speaks English --(If you don't speak Spanish) and train them and have them deal with the permits, etc.
I started this thread for anyone thinking about starting a business here or get advice about permits, etc. Will be happy to share my experience, good and bad, with you and help you anyway i can.

Hi thanks for your Interesting post about the business operations which I have been looking for so many days.
Im actually looking at moving to Peru but yet to decide where to do business and what type of business?

Im currently residing in africa and had been running a IT shop where selling all types of computers, laptops ,printers accessories etc thus, all in one roof from hair to nail now since last 8 years I have in used clothing industry importing from canada, as I have researching and found out about the used clothing is not allowed in peru so have been thinking of IT business or Restuarant business or any other which has a good scope in Lima, peru or any other safest city in peru.

I would be highly appreciate if I can have your advise since u have many years experience in Peru.

Thanks,
TheMan17

Postby TheMan17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 pm

How was is getting the permits? Did you just need to go to the Municipalidad? Also how much was it? Did you need to get a RUC number as well? Thank you.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:56 pm

That's nice... however I always wonder WHY you operate the business in Peru? What's the point? Would you be less or more profitable operating same type of business e.g. in US?

You stories do not tell much in fact. I suppose what a newcomer to Peru would like to know is for example: how much % you made on your investment. What is your profit per hour. Etc. Otherwise your feedback is not really telling anything. You can do it better.
atpe

Postby atpe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:22 am

mrsteak wrote:
You stories do not tell much in fact. I suppose what a newcomer to Peru would like to know is for example: how much % you made on your investment. What is your profit per hour.

I'm also interested in this

Return to “Focus on Business”

Login  •  Register