Eye surgery (LASIK, LASEK, SMILE, etc.) in Peru vs. USA vs. Germany

Have you had a good experience with a local service provider? If so, let us know about it. Please, follow instructions in the first post. Write to us to suggest new categories that we should open.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

boss_alpaca

Eye surgery (LASIK, LASEK, SMILE, etc.) in Peru vs. USA vs. Germany

Postby boss_alpaca » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm considering refractive eye surgery for a moderate case of myopia (–2.5) including astigmatism (–0.75). I'm not sure yet about the specific technology I want to have used. Whatever has the best outcome, least side effects (halos, etc.), and lowest risk of complications. I'm deciding between having it done in Peru (Lima), USA (NYC area), or Germany. (These are the countries that I visit regularly.)

Below is what I expect for both eyes in USD terms, again assuming the use of the best technology available.

USA (NYC): $5,000—7,000
Germany: $3,500—$4,500
Peru (Lima): $2,000 (???)

For me, price is not the primary decision factor. However, if the quality is equivalent, then I would naturally prefer to pay less. However, I don't even know if e.g. the U.S. FDA has approved all the great technology that might already be available in Germany (or Peru).

Can anyone help me understand how the laser eye surgery quality & technology in these 3 countries differs? And in the case of Peru, also recommend specific doctors for a really bad Spanish speaker :D? Thank you.

Best,
Alpaca

PS: I know that there have been topics about this before, but they are all several years old.

Return to “Services in Lima”

Login  •  Register