Veterinarians in Lima

Have you had a good experience with a local service provider? If so, let us know about it. Please, follow instructions in the first post. Write to us to suggest new categories that we should open.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Kelly

Veterinarians in Lima

Postby Kelly » Tue May 03, 2011 4:44 pm

I highly recommend PetLand in Miraflores and their veterinarian Fiorella Arias Chauca.

We've used their services for bathing and grooming (including clipping a toy poodle) and they do a fantastic job, with pick-up and delivery service. The employees are friendly and helpful. Pet supplies can be a bit pricey, as I've found in most actual pet stores, but as far as the basics go, they rock.

I've recently had need to use their vet medical services. Doctora Fiorella was very thorough, asked the important questions and did what was necessary to get our dog feeling well again. I worked for several years as a vet technician and surgical assistant, and am really picky about veterinarians - I would not hesitate to recommend her.

PetLand
Tel. 448-0633
L. Arias Schereiber 190
Centro Comercial Aurora - Miraflores (Back to the right behind the Aurora Wong)

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Veterinarians in Lima

Postby Polaron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:29 am

Great idea for a category, Kelly.

I highly recommend Veterinaria del Rio in Pueblo Libre. It is a full-service veterinary clinic owned and operated by a qualified vet named Aníbal Ortiz Polo. I take Princesa there on a regular basis for her bath and "paticure," which costs S/. 25 a pop. That's not bad price for a 50-pound Weimaraner who does not find baths amusing, and Aníbal is friendly and very knowledgeable.

Aside from consultations, Aníbal performs surgery, analysis, artificial insemination, dental services, cremations, provides a pet pharmacy and pet shop, and can even get you a puppy.

Vertinaria del Rio
Avda. del Rio 269, Tienda 104
Pueblo Libre

(Cdra. 3 de Bolívar, 12 de Brasil)

veterinaria_delrio@hotmail.com

Tel. 330-6645
Emergencia: 999-617-169

Open Mon-Sat 9 am to 8 pm
Sun and holidays 9am to 2pm
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 pm

I have had great experiences at Animal Place in Miraflores. Great service, they speak English and just over all really great people.

http://animalplacevetperu.com/Main.html
ShawnKitty

Postby ShawnKitty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:02 am

Any Vets that do Hospedaje ?

Looking for any reccomendations on a Dog Sitter. We have a 5 Yr. old well behaved/house trained Yellow Lab. He has traveled with us for almost a year. We do not want him to be in a kennel/cage at all. He plays well with other dogs. He just needs at least 3 walks a day. We are in Miraflores.

Any feedback or reccomendations is appreciated.

Thank You!
Cristina
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:39 am

Regarding Animal Place in Miraflores:

We took our new puppy there, as I wanted to have things explained to me in English; I was pleased with the exam. I asked before we made the appointment what the costs would be; as we are on a very strict budget.

I was given costs that appeared to be realistic for what we needed; initial shots, worming, basic exam. For some reason, we were only given the prices for everything - EXCEPT THE OFFICE VISIT. I only had enough money with me for the quoted price & taxi fare; I was extremely embarrassed & inconvenienced when the entire costs were much more than I had with me.

I was forced to call our daughter to bring more money (her money)- plus the extra taxi fare for her to come to Miraflores.
I wrote down the costs as per my phone conversation & showed them to the receptionist; at this point as services had already been received, I wasn't seeking a discount - just not to be inconvenienced! NO WAY!!!

Again, I was pleased with the services offered; I feel when a person calls for a price for services - ALL THE COSTS SHOULD BE EXPLAINED. We have a vet 1 block from our apartment; they don't speak English, but I will make sure that my daughter can explain to me what is going on.

Note to Animal Place - MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE ALL THE COSTS SO OTHERS ARE NOT SO AFFECTED!!!
Tomonainc

Postby Tomonainc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi All Dog Owners. Unfortunately even though we liked the people at Pet Land we did not have a good experience with them. We boarded our two dogs with them twice. The first time we paid boarding cost plus grooming cost & my husband had to take off an extra day to have them there by 3 PM. They looked nice, but when we started petting them they had scabs from ticks and even a few ticks left on them. I complained and was offered a free bathing next time. The second time they were nice enough to pick them up. When we picked them up we were called back to check on the dogs and we should have checked better. Even though we were told they had been boarded at another location they still later had a few scabs. Also, the little one ended up with kennel cough. We know it's like a dog cold, but it is very upsetting to see your furry family member so miserable with that horrible cough. We chose to have it treated at Groomers Clinica Veterinaria, Av. Jorge Chavez No. 258, Miraflores, Telf: 241-2481. It was close enough to walk to from the Larcomar area. They have 24 hour service and they took very good care of our little guy. I don't speak Spanish, but there are a few techs and at least one vet in the clinic that do speak English. We ended up leaving our boys there in Oct. when we went back to the states for 12 days. We could drop them at any hour and there were no problems, plus it was half the cost of PL and they even bathed them for free. After our first two experiences, where our dogs were supposedly in a yard we did not care if they were in pens, as long as they were taken for walks, were safe and eating well. Oh yeah, there was one problem a few hours before we left for the airport. We took the boys in along with their pet taxis and food only to be told other dogs had not been picked up so they could not take them at that location. Of course we panicked a bit, but then it was explained that they could take them to their Magdalena del Mar location. They even brought them back to Miraflores for us to pick them up. I would suggest just make sure a few days before your dog's boarding date that you double check to make sure your reservation is still good. I don't know if they treat pets other than dogs, but I'm sure you could check. They also obviously do grooming. The other clinic is located at Av. Juan de Aliaga 383, Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17, Telf: 714-9797. Sorry this post is so long, but hope it helps someone out for a reliable 24 hour vet service and a boarding service.
One other note: both Groomers and Pet Land carry a good quality dog food from Canada called Nutram. They have several types such as Lamb and Rice, Puppy food and a couple of Hypo Allergenic types. We even wish we could get it in the states when we return in a few weeks. If they are out of the Lamb & Rice you can look at the Hypo Allergenic type or the Skin Sensitive type. They are close to the same ingredients. I have seen it at a few other dealers here as well.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience; dogs are FAMILY!!!
I get especially upset when so-called professionals provide a service that is not PROFESSIONAL!
Kennels are not cheap & you deserve what you pay for.

In the USA, I guarantee that there would be the threat of civil litigation; not so much for any real monetary reward (as the damage has been done), but to put PL on notice to "clean up (no pun intended) your act".
In my opinion as a former consumer advocate in the USA; your entire expenses along with additional expenses due to their NEGLIGENCE, should be REFUNDED plus several months of free bathing.

I am not a proponent of the litiginous nature of the USA & other countries; this is unfortunately one of the few ways to make a business act more ethically/legally - especially when you are a "little guy".

Do you have any pics of your extended furry family???

Philip
PS - we have a mix that we adopted; adds so much to our lives, as always is so eager to greet us after long hours away from the house...
ExpatPeruMods
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ExpatPeruMods » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I use Groomer´s vet as well, they are very nice and it is a clean space, however really busy so expect a wait. Also, I left my cat there for a few weeks because she got ringworm and was receiving treatment, when I got her back she had a huge abscess from being attacked by another cat, very bloody and swollen. They claimed it was the 2 week year old kitten who was "playing" with her. I did receive free medical care for her wound but after leaving her in there for 2 weeks the last thing I wanted to do was bring her back daily for treatment! And it definitely was not a kitten wound. They should not have let her mingle with other peoples animals anyways considering how contagious ringworm is.
I would still use them as a regular vet, but for boarding I would go somewhere else. There is a large place in Lurin that looks nice, with outdoor areas for animals so they aren't cooped up all day. http://www.elrefugioperu.com/
I might give it a try if it is not too expensive next time I go out of town. Has anyone been there?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:22 am

I can't believe the NEGLIGENCE of vets here in Peru; they have no EMPATHY for "members" of our family!
If I was younger or the government had positions for "consumer advocates"; I would study law & start FORCING these establishments to behave PROFESSIONALLY!!!

What good is something FREE, when the animal (and the owners) have already suffered DISTRESS???
In the USA, vets & kennels are licensed; complaints could lead to the business being fined by the government agency or the loss of their license to offer said services plus civil litigation.

Aparently Peru has not evolved to this degree; the only way to make a change is to COMPLAINT & COMPLAIN & COMPLAIN - sooner (or probably later), someone will hear & respond to your pleas for change. The point here is that we all can & SHOULD devote time to the prospects of making Peru - better for all...

I sincerely believe expatperu is a good starting place, but by no means the end of the journey; WE ARE ALL IN THIS WORLDLY VENTURE - TOGETHER; to be only for "yourself" in not proper or rewarding (my quote).

Philip & Rosmery
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:08 pm

i think you will find very few people in Peru regarding their pet as part of the family. i see stray dogs wandering all over the place where i live. most wearing a sweater of sorts. i think guinea pigs live a better life until their fateful day comes :( they are kept safely inside, away from other animals, well fed etc.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Sakey

Postby Sakey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Hello to all animal lovers :)
I apologize for going a bit off-topic but maybe some of you have directions I need.
I am new in Lima and I live with friend who "omitted" to tell me that we will be living in "no pets allowed apt" :( and since I don't find my day complete without furry friend :) and have a lot of free time I would like to find some animal shelter to do some volunteering, any idea ?
my email is sanya.mbg@hotmail.com
GRACIAS Y FELIZ AÑO NUEVO ! :)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Tomonainc wrote: Also, the little one ended up with kennel cough. We know it's like a dog cold, but it is very upsetting to see your furry family member so miserable with that horrible cough.

There are vaccinations for kennel cough (bordatella). Pets should always be vaccinated for it before being boarded.
Abigail0521
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Abigail0521 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 pm

We have been fortunate to have friends that are willing to help us out with staying at our house to dog sit while we are away. However, this isn't always the case. I reeeeally think some sort of dog cooperative would work well in Lima. I know that we could take 1 other dog for up to a week at our place, if we could create a network of others who are willing to do so it would be a much better option than kenneling. I think the cultural differences with how a lot of S. American's view dogs will always prevent us from kenneling our pup.

On another note, do we need to worry about heart worms here?
Chiropractor

Postby Chiropractor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

Hi, I am new to these post and semi new to Lima Peru. Just moved here 9 months ago and I have 2 dogs, both Morkies (Yorkie and Maltese). I am looking for Dog Treats that are NOT raw hide. Like bully sticks or beef tendons. Anyone know a place I can get them? My dogs dont eat any treats or food with corn either and my USA supplies are running low.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks
Neshan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Neshan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi Abigail! (I bought your terrace furniture last week, if you remember)
Also, hello to everyone else.

I have a slightly different perspective, being that I am an American who wound up in Lima for personal reasons, and then decided to study veterinary medicine once I was here.

I studied biology in California, and I am now nearly a vet (just waiting for the piece of paper that says so - diploma). I should be taking my veterinary boards in the USA within a year.

To answer Abigail´s question: Yes, there is heartworm here. There are a few species of mosquito that act as vectors for Dirofilaria immitis (heartworm parasite). However, it is not a prevalent disease in Lima, with hardly any reported cases. This is why most (honest) veterinarians will tell you that you don't need to deworm your pets. It's pretty much unnecessary in Lima.

Tomonainc: Your dog getting tracheobronchitis (Kennel Cough) is not the vet´s fault. Dog´s should ALL be vaccinated with the Canine Parainfluenza vaccine (part of the standard DHPP vaccine), as well as the Bordetella bronchiseptica vaccine. Those are the two pathological agents responsible for Kennel Cough. If your dog is not vaccinated or has not had a booster recently, he/she WILL get sick. Simple as that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the "cultural differences" that everyone is talking about. YES...the general population as a whole doesn´t appreciate or respect animals nearly as much as the general population in first world countries. However, this concept is slowly evolving. 10 years ago NO one in Lima would have considered a cat as a pet. However, due to the gentrification of neighborhoods and the construction of more appartment complexes, there has been a growing appreciation of feline companions. There are even a few vets that dedicate themselves almost entirely to cats (I can recomend one if you like. A real eminence as far as I´m concerned)

There are mediocre veterinarians, yes. They DO exist, no doubt. I have seen it first hand. But that´s not to say that *veterinarians in Peru suck*. Also, let´s not compare the general population's attitude towards animals with that of a veterinarian. Most veterinarians care dearly about their patients.
I have done a lot of interning in California animal hospitals, as well as here in Lima. I can tell you that there are some OUTSTANDING veterinarians here in Lima. I know first hand, because I have been lucky enough to have a few of them as professors and mentors.
It´s a question of looking around, and getting recommendations. I have also known several vets in California who were mediocre.... so what does that say? There are mediocre professionals anywhere in the world, some places have more than others. But you shouldn't generalize about Peru having bad vets.
If anyone needs a recommendation, you can send me a private message. I´d be more than happy to help!
Last edited by Neshan on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lij317

Postby lij317 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Chiropractor wrote:Hi, I am new to these post and semi new to Lima Peru. Just moved here 9 months ago and I have 2 dogs, both Morkies (Yorkie and Maltese). I am looking for Dog Treats that are NOT raw hide. Like bully sticks or beef tendons. Anyone know a place I can get them? My dogs dont eat any treats or food with corn either and my USA supplies are running low.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Were you able to find a place to buy healthy food for your dog? We've just moved here from the states and are flying our dog down in November. Our animals don't eat any corn, wheat, or other grains and it's so wonderful for their health. We used to make her food but it's so much work. So for the last year we've bought Earthborn. All I've been able to find so far is the stuff with tons of fillers and byproducts.
aleman42

Postby aleman42 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:00 pm

I arrived in Lima at the end of August with my baby boy Jake and I had all of his heart worm pills . Unfortunately for Jake I cannot seem to find a vet or pet store the sells heart worm. I was told by many vets that heart worm is not necessary?!?!? Does anyone know of a vet that sells heart worm pills and frontline in the Miraflores/Barranco area? I'll take a taxi even further. I just want my boy safe. Thank you in advance!
Neshan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Neshan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Heartworm is hardly prevalent in Lima.

It's a vectorized disease, which means it is transmitted by a carrier host. In this case, a few different species of mosquito.

It has a higher incidence in the summer months, especially around the swamps south of Lima (los pantanos)

Nevertheless, it is extremely unlikely to present itself in your dog, which is why people seem so lax about it. If I were you, I would contact "Veterinaria Rubio". They have a website, and are by far one of the best clinics for internal medicine. I would trust them with my eyes closed. If they say it's necessary, then go with it.

They are in Magdalena, very near the intersection of Javier Prado and Salaverry.
If you make an appointment, tell them that Neshan sent you.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Chiropractor wrote:Hi, I am new to these post and semi new to Lima Peru. Just moved here 9 months ago and I have 2 dogs, both Morkies (Yorkie and Maltese). I am looking for Dog Treats that are NOT raw hide. Like bully sticks or beef tendons. Anyone know a place I can get them? My dogs dont eat any treats or food with corn either and my USA supplies are running low.

I saw bully sticks today at SOS Veterinaria on Cordova in Miraflores. First time I've seen them anywhere here. I think it was 4 soles for 1 smallish stick.
https://es-es.facebook.com/pages/SOS-Ve ... 9252687064
CuscoCapibara

Postby CuscoCapibara » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is for Lima, but does anyone know of a good vet in Cusco? Right now I go to Kusi Wasi, but I had a questionable experience and am thinking about switching vets. Anyone have a good recommendation for vets in Cusco? I have a 9 month old puppy I rescued from the street in August when I lived in Guayaquil. He is a mutt, small, looks like he isn't going to grow any larger than about 25 pounds.

On a related note, I'm looking forward to connecting with other dog-lovers or animal-lovers in Cusco or the Sacred Valley. I'd like to make more ex-pat friends who come from a background/culture of treating animals better than they do here in Peru. Sometimes it is really frustrating here. (One 'friend' told me he could make Wayra 'tranquilo' if I let him have my dog for a week or two of his personal training method. I can only imagine what kind of “training” Wayra would get to turn him from a naturally hyper, nervous dog into a 'calm' dog inside of just two weeks.)

Also, I'd love to find anyone willing to be a dog sitter! I can dog-sit for you provided that your dog is well behaved! I live in Saqsaywaman with my boyfriend and Wayra the pooch, we have a great yard and I take the pup on a hike or run every morning before work and my boyfriend is normally at home all day and sometimes takes Wayra for a walk in the afternoon. Your doggy would love it here as well! He/she would have to be well behaved around horses, though, and be good about not wandering off. Otherwise I'll have to have him/her on a leash. Our 'house' is multiple outbuildings in a big unfenced yard. The big yard is the 'living room!'

Looking forward to connecting with people here!
Sarah and Wayra the pup
Niko

Postby Niko » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Veterinaria Animal Care, Calle Doña Delmira 317, Surco (1 block from Plaza Vea Ayacucho). Phone 477 1491.
Highly recommended for their nice treat towards animals.
Chiropractor

Postby Chiropractor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks for the info on the Bully Sticks I will check it out, I have looked at a ton of different foods as well and there arent many that are any good, the closes one has to be Nutram which is canadia. There is a pet store behind the wong in la molina before the hill, by the la molina plaza. They have a steady supply and a variety of flavors. ´

Best of luck to all pet lovers, we are still in search for a good vet, I am very picky, but my babies are well worth it.

Return to “Services in Lima”

Login  •  Register