Magdalena Del Mar

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
billybob72

Magdalena Del Mar

Postby billybob72 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 am

Hi everyone, I am new so please be gentle! :D

I am one of those fortunate folks who is about to benefit from being classified as a 'Peruvian since birth' in regards the change of law concerning overage children born to Peruvian parents overseas.

As a British citizen who might be losing 'freedom of movement' in Europe, it is nice to know I have it now all over South America.

So I am looking at property in Lima and I fancy beachside/seaside living and Magdalena del Mar seems to tick a lot of boxes, it looks nice, affordable (compared to Miraflores) has plenty of amenities, does anyone know anything about this particular suburb? Locals say it can be pretty dangerous but online discussions say it is one of the safer barrios in Lima.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Magdalena Del Mar

Postby Alan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Welcome to our forum!

Like most of Lima's traditional barrios, Magdalena is in transition. Old family homes built in the 30's 40's and 50's are being razed to make way for 7 to 10 story apartment buildings. It's subjective of course, but I think it's a nice area with areas that maintain a real neighborhood feel. You will also find a pretty wide range of housing. If you get to the area that bumps up to San Isidro for example, the homes and building are top of the line. Get closer to the Magdalena market and it's not as upscale. If you want to join a club, you'd be close to the Lima Cricket Club, which has a nice middle-class vibe to it. There is a bar, pool, restaurants, tennis courts, and a soccer field that doubles as the cricket pitch, depending on the season.

Why not rent an air-b-n-b for a month or two in a couple areas to see where you feel the best?
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Alan wrote:Welcome to our forum!

Like most of Lima's traditional barrios, Magdalena is in transition. Old family homes built in the 30's 40's and 50's are being razed to make way for 7 to 10 story apartment buildings. It's subjective of course, but I think it's a nice area with areas that maintain a real neighborhood feel. You will also find a pretty wide range of housing. If you get to the area that bumps up to San Isidro for example, the homes and building are top of the line. Get closer to the Magdalena market and it's not as upscale. If you want to join a club, you'd be close to the Lima Cricket Club, which has a nice middle-class vibe to it. There is a bar, pool, restaurants, tennis courts, and a soccer field that doubles as the cricket pitch, depending on the season.

Why not rent an air-b-n-b for a month or two in a couple areas to see where you feel the best?

You found some cheap property in Magdalena, how surprising. It is a a very out of the way place to live. I doubt you will find a B&B lol. Sure the property is cheap but there is a reason. Have you seen them and the location? Sure they can butt up to places like San Ysidro but beware the ones that butt reflect reflect San Ysidro prices. You might as well look in San Ysidro. There are no property bargains in Peru.
In Magdalene age old family homes are being torn down to build high rise apartments. Putting a greater strain on already grid lock roads.
Look up member 'woodchuck' he has done a lot of hands on research on property.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Roadrunner is right about the roads. It's pretty much the same story everywhere in the traditional burbs of Lima that were not designed for so many vehicles. So, yes, try to move close to where you'd like to spend a lot of your time. I was curious about the airbnb, since I have never used one in Lima, so I took a peek: there are at least a dozen in Magdalena, and close to 1000 in Lima! It's incredible how quickly that industry has boomed. And if that's not your thing, there are no shortage of hotels either.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello Billy,

Magdalena del Mar is the full name for the district, but most of the people name it as just Magdalena

The word “cheap” depends on what is your budget. You can get (after a good negotiation) a 160 to 180 square meters 2-story house in Magdalena for about 400kd; and an apartment for about 90kd to 150kd depending on the location , size and “amenities”

One of the best things of Magdalena is that it’s located at a very central location in Lima, but without losing the nice family-oriented traditional style. So similar distance to main places as downtown of Lima, to upscale districts as Miraflores + San Isidro, nearby the Airport , etc.

Traffic is not a problem in Magdalena because most of the streets has low flow of cars, and are easy to drive – not the same for Avenues where traffic changes a lot, especially during the peak-hour . About 1 out of 100 houses has been torn down to built a new building so it a sort of myth that Magdalena is filled up with buildings.

Here live some European (most are Spaniards, French, Swiss not much English speaking)

The main thing you must consider before beginning to search for properties is that Magdalena is “divided” in 2 different areas: Magdalena “nueva” and “vieja”. The fancy area is in Magdalena Nueva and is limited by the Ocean, Brasil Avenue, Pershing Avenue and Salaverry Avenue and next to “San Isidro”

Magdalena has also probably the best “Mercado” in the whole Lima city. Varieties of fresh food, cheap restaurants, dressmaker, curtain maker, hardware stores, computer shops, shoe shops, plastics stores, juice bars “juguerias”, etc, etc. and from time to time nice events in the main square as folklore festivals, Children’s theatre, etc.

There are plenty of Hotels and BnB place as suggested by Alan and it is very safe

This is Magdalena Nueva

https://www.google.es/maps/@-12.0930139 ... 312!8i6656

This is Magdalena Vieja

https://www.google.es/maps/@-12.0897575 ... 2!1b1!2i47
Last edited by windsportinperu on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Alan wrote:Roadrunner is right about the roads. It's pretty much the same story everywhere in the traditional burbs of Lima that were not designed for so many vehicles. So, yes, try to move close to where you'd like to spend a lot of your time. I was curious about the airbnb, since I have never used one in Lima, so I took a peek: there are at least a dozen in Magdalena, and close to 1000 in Lima! It's incredible how quickly that industry has boomed. And if that's not your thing, there are no shortage of hotels either.

Re Airbnb
FWIW, I've never used one in Lima either but have in New York.

There seems to be a growing backlash against AirBnb by cities around the world in regards to regulation and taxes.

Much like with Uber and taxis, hotels can't be happy with business being taken away from them.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... d-illegal/
billybob72

Postby billybob72 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:11 am

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the great information! I am very happy to hear from you all and have digested what you have posted as great food for thought.

San Isidro sounds wonderful but is out of my price range (unfortunately...) whereas Magdalena sounds affordable and coastal, in Sydney - you couldn't afford to live in the nicer coastal suburbs nestling on the Pacific for anything less than a million dollars (USD) whereas in Lima - you still can, it seems like the whole city is being gentrified slowly, 50 years ago, it wasn't too expensive to buy a house in North London but nowadays it is out of reach for people on ordinary incomes.

I am just thinking that Magdalena still has great amenities (with some rough patches) and is still affordable whilst being on the coast and I am thinking of a long term buy - in 30 years time - it will be a really nice place to live, also a lot of Lima might have changed beyond recognition - even places like Rimac and La Victoria becoming gentrified and desirable - do you think in 30 years time that could be the case or might it take it longer or will it never happen?

I have family in Jesus Maria and they live in one of those big old houses (turned into individual flats in which a part of the family lives in...)but I fancy somewhere coastal. Thanks again for all your input! :D
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 am

billybob72 wrote:
I am just thinking that Magdalena still has great amenities (with some rough patches) and is still affordable whilst being on the coast and I am thinking of a long term buy - in 30 years time - it will be a really nice place to live, also a lot of Lima might have changed beyond recognition - even places like Rimac and La Victoria becoming gentrified and desirable - do you think in 30 years time that could be the case or might it take it longer or will it never happen?

! :D

That's an interesting question. A lot seems to depend on the size of the lots and the state of the property rights. In La Victoria and Rimac for example there are still a lot of quintas, which are old, multifamily dwellings built along a shared passageway. I think it is hard to get everyone to agree to sell at the same time, and sometimes the properties are not clearly inscribed in the public registry. Other privately held lots are quite small, so do not lend themselves to development.

There is also vicious cycle in the poorer neighborhoods. A low tax base means that the services are not up to par, so there is less development, and loss of potential taxes. La Victoria has just been rocked by a major corruption scandal and the mayor is now sitting in jail, along with his son and a few other cronies. Your guess of thirty years might be good. It sounds terrible, but at some point a big earthquake will hit Lima, and a lot of older homes will simply collapse. At that time, there will be a massive modernization, but man it's going to be tragic.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:17 pm

La Victoria and El Rimac are 2 different districts. The former is richer the latter is poorer

La Victoria's Town Hall (Alcaldia) got a lot of money as a yearly income. They got a huge income from taxes (probably bigger than Magdalena + Jesus Maria + San Miguel all together) as they have a lot of transportation bus companies + business specialized in spare parts for cars/trucks/machinery + Gamarra's textiles industry, etc. So L.Victoria in terms of money is far way richer than El Rimac.

Having said that, none of them are really interested in changing their "lifestyle" to something as J.Maria , for example.

My guessing is that some others districts has a more promissory future in the search for a nicer lifestyle as parts of Magdalena itself, but also Pueblo Libre, Lince, San Miguel and El Callao + the vast majority of "conos"
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 am

Billy Magdelana has some really nice parts to it, usually along the coast and yes there is some dangerous parts but it's like that everywhere in Lima.
The coastal areas are developing fast in most suburbs so as you say in 30 years time it could be a totally different place and if you have lived in Lima the last 10 years you'll have seen how fast the city would have changed.

You're main concerns would be moving into a good part of the Magdelana and that you've done your research properly.

The transport network as being stuck in traffic in Lima isn't a part of Lima but actually is most of your life! (Or so it seems most of the time!). There's only one modern transport line in the city and the rest of the transportation involves god awful combis or a taxi! But Peru and Lima are developing so fast that new lines could easily be built over the next ten years I would imagine.

The biggest concern would be finding a job to pay for everything. If you have a degree and the right skills Peru can be great but if you don't have a degree it can be a very hard place to live. Sure there might be apartments for 90k but you have to think how you will be paying for this if you are on a local wage. The average wage in Lima is $400 a month. If you have have a degree you should be able to make $1000 maybe more which will work out great for you. If you don't have a degree get a celta or telf certificate to at least bring in a reasonable income if not great. Getting a decent job in Lima is going to be one of your biggest challanges.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 am

69roadrunner wrote:
Alan wrote:Welcome to our forum!

You found some cheap property in Magdalena, how surprising. It is a a very out of the way place to live. I doubt you will find a B&B lol. Sure the property is cheap but there is a reason. Have you seen them and the location? Sure they can butt up to places like San Ysidro but beware the ones that butt reflect reflect San Ysidro prices. You might as well look in San Ysidro. There are no property bargains in Peru.
In Magdalene age old family homes are being torn down to build high rise apartments. Putting a greater strain on already grid lock roads.
Look up member 'woodchuck' he has done a lot of hands on research on property.

I would agree a lot with roadrunner us saying here. You will find a lot of properties that seem like a bargin but you really have to check out the location.

What seems to be common is the building of apartment blocks in not so great areas which are maybe 5 or 6 blocks from a better neighbourhood but then charging the better neighbourhood prices. Just knowing an area well enough and searching adondevivir just proves how some of the house prices are over the top especially if you look at the standard of the kitchen and bathrooms (these tend to be real give aways in how well the apartment has been built!). It sounds stupid but just a few blocks can make a lot of difference.

Roadrunner is right, there are no property bargins in Peru. You'll be paying way over the odds for a home and the property prices are slowing but steadily dropping after peaking a few years back. London is a total nightmare for housing but you could quite easily be coming to something a lot worse when you add in wages.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Are you assuming with a 100% of certainty that there is no Real State Bargains in Peru ? :D
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Are you assuming with a 100% of certainty that there is no Real State Bargains in Peru ? :D

Of course there will be some but I doubt there will be many. I've spent enough time in Peru to know plenty about the renting and housing prices to not be very impressed. For example it doesn't matter where in Magdalana an apartment is I'd still never a good enough reason to justify paying $90'000 to live there!
Last edited by SilverbackPeru on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:01 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote: For example it doesn't matter where in Magdalana it is I'd still never pay $90'000 to live there!

How much would you pay ?
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote: For example it doesn't matter where in Magdalana it is I'd still never pay $90'000 to live there!

How much would you pay ?

Well considering what Magdelana is like, traffic problems, not always the tidiest of places for most of the area, problems in areas with crime, the building quality of those apartments which are on the cheaper quality side I'd say $50'000 to $70'000 would be better.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Your impression of Peru is honest, but at the same time ... May I disagree ? No such crime and traffic in the streets of Magdalena , but I highly respect your words

I hope that next time you come here, could eventually see it all with different eyes.. BTW, I made a search in urbania.pe about your price range up to 70kd and found this. Let's consider that all those prices are asking-prices and after a patient negotiation could drop substantially :

https://urbania.pe/buscar/venta-de-depa ... nt=1_70000
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:32 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Your impression of Peru is honest, but at the same time ... May I disagree ? No such crime and traffic in the streets of Magdalena , but I highly respect your words

I hope that next time you come here, could eventually see it all with different eyes.. BTW, I made a search in urbania.pe about your price range up to 70kd and found this. Let's consider that all those prices are asking-prices and after a patient negotiation could drop substantially :

https://urbania.pe/buscar/venta-de-depa ... nt=1_70000

I'm just trying to be honest. I have in laws in Magdelana and I went there quite often when I first arrived in Lima and I was told about how you had to be careful around areas there due to crime and just how dangerous some parts could be. I know Magdelana has improved greatly since then and I honestly think Peru is generally a reasonable safe place (especially compared to other Latin American countries) and that some people can make it sound more dangerous than it is, but you have to be realisitic. Even though I always felt safe in Lima there are areas where you never know what could happen and I'm always warned about the dangers from my in-laws, it's just a fact. I know the small streets aren't packed with traffic but it's still not an easy commute.

I've had a look through those pages and the prices aren't bad, but they are for single bedroom apartments if you check them out and I can get a single bed apartment here in my home town for generally the same price in the centre of town. It's those older buildings in Lima for the prices they ask that aren't good. They tend to be poorly built and over priced. I'll admit the more modern apartments aren't badly priced and are very nice. One of the things I genuinely love about Lima is the modern apartments and how well they are designed. I like those reception areas on the ground floor and then the small outdoor gardens and rooftops for the tenants. One of my favourite things about Lima is just walking around like along the malecon just looking at the architecture. The problem is I'm not impressed by Magdelana in any way, it just sums up everything that is depressing about living in a city and even though they are nice apartments for that price they are still in Magdelana is the biggest problem for me.
billybob72

Postby billybob72 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Folks,

I was thinking more long term, good point about earthquakes though - I don't want to be 80 years old and watching my hard bought apartment by the beach fall into rubble due to an earthquake and I have then no house and would have to return back to the UK as a homeless auld dude!

It's nice to speak aloud as it were the possibilities of living in a gentrifying Lima - you have La Victoria,Rimac and San Martin de Porres - these barrios are hundreds of years old and quite central, I wouldn't buy something in any of those places now but if they gentrify and become nicer then they would be rather nice places to live, it will probably never happen with San Juan de Lurigancho or not any time soon but there are a lot of the more central places that might be rather nice places with all the security issues sorted out in another thirty years or so.

I have a degree and a masters degree and live and work out of China for the most part. I would be looking to move when I am retired with maybe living there when I have my holidays. Magdalena looks like a good choice for me, central enough but without the mad prices - and coastal! But I will be there for myself in the new year so will be able to experience it all for myself.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Some thoughts about Earthquake in Lima:

1º Peru is not as Chile, where Earthquakes are more frequent to happen and Tsunamis

2º Most of the Lima city is protected by a natural steep cliff (acantilado) so no problem with high waves during a Tsunami: Magdalena, San Miguel, San Isidro, Miraflores, Barranco, Chorrillos

3º Magdalena has a "rocky" ground (no sand) so building has good foundation.

4º A Moderate Earthquake could only affect the very old parts of the city : Houses made of mud in El Rimac

5º Earthquake in Peru almost always only affect the poor or very poor people , Unfortunately

6º Earthquakes in Chile are not only more frequent, but also very way more stronger
PRL.1206

Postby PRL.1206 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:38 pm

I lived in Magdalena.
I enjoyed it.

Streets are kept clean, parks are looked after and the people are nice.

A great mercado and loads of shops. There are good restaurants and bakeries.
There are loads of beauty salons and hairdressers.

There are no bars or nightclubs in Magdalena so it's quiet and no drunks roaming the streets. You are neither allowed to drink alcohol on the street or other public areas in Magdalena.

Magdalena is very safe. Day and night. I never had any problems.

Regarding to rent prices. Rents are gone up a lot in the last few years and are fairly expensive. I was used to rent a nice 2 bed apartment for $200 a month. It will probably be rented out by now for $450.

One of the best things of Magdalena is the weather.
During the day the weather is warm and nights can be chilly.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register