Bull Fights and Rooster Fights

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bull Fights and Rooster Fights

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I was in downtown Lima today and saw a march with at least 1000 people from all over Peru who were demonstrating in support of "Peleas de gallos" (Rooster fights). I had no idea that this could stir up so much popular support. I imagine the government is cooking up a law that might restrict their activities. Since we are in bull-fighting season too, I thought I'd throw the question out there. What do you think of bull fights and rooster fights?

Personally, I don't agree with them or see much attraction (except maybe the betting angle), but since I consume beef and poultry, I don't think I have much moral authority to criticize.

What do the rest of you think?

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bull Fights and Rooster Fights

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

I've been a couple of times with in-laws to Rooster fighting. I don't agree with it but there isn't much in the way of stadium sports in Peru and compared to some of the football games Rooster fighting is in a safe environment with a great atmosphere.

I think it would be a bit harsh to ban it with out an alternative activity to replace it.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am

Alan wrote: What do you think of bull fights and rooster fights?

It is a hard questions..

Personally, I have never seen bullfighting or roosterfighting in my life, but think that the people in Peru who practice this as part of their life is very very small. Not even 1% of the population are related to this "sports" . Probably something in between 0.1% to 0.01% of the population is the correct range

Seeing it in perspective, mostly of young peruvians would agree that one day it should be abolished , but nothing in the short time
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:31 pm

I have been to Rooster fights in Oxapampa where it is very popular and although quite cruel I enjoyed the atmosphere. Never have been invited to the Bullfights and would enjoy the opportunity if it did not require going to a restaurant and eating testicles first!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Alpineprince wrote:I have been to Rooster fights in Oxapampa where it is very popular and although quite cruel I enjoyed the atmosphere. Never have been invited to the Bullfights and would enjoy the opportunity if it did not require going to a restaurant and eating testicles first!

Have you heard the one about the gringo who went to the bull fights, and afterwards went for a large portion of crilladiallas. He returned the following week to the same restaurant, right next door to the bull ring. This time, the portion was not nearly as generous. Upset, he calls over the waiter and says, "Hey, just because I am a gringo doesn't mean you can get away with serving me such a small portion", to which the waiter replied, "I am sorry sir, but this week, it was the bull that won".

Groan!

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register