MURDER

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

MURDER

Postby euroman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:43 pm

In my neigboorhood, 4 dogs have been found killed with poison in the last 2 weeks.
One of the dogs is a dog I looked after, I gave him every food leftovers.
2 of the dogs had an owner and the other two lived on the street.
All dogs were quiet dogs who never hassled people.

What can we do to catch this murderer? And what should we do with the murderer? :evil:

Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MURDER

Postby Remigius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:20 pm

euroman wrote:In my neigboorhood, 4 dogs have been found killed with poison in the last 2 weeks.:

This is not uncommon and may have a simple explanation. Lots of people use rat poison to get rid of....exactly. They put the poison in food and hope the rats will eat it and die. However, there are trillions of pigeons who eat from that food as well and they themselves are occasionally caught and eaten by a dog, that may die due to the rat poison. Or, the (street) dog may eat the poisoned food directly.

On the other hand, there are also plenty of animal sadists walking the streets of Lima.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm

It is also not uncommon in Peru, however sad, that if a dog barks and the owner just lets it, the neighbors will poison it.

There was a case here in San Borja where a neighbor did not care for her dogs and let them bark day and night, making everyone uncomfortable, but in traditional fashion, no one said anything.

Sadly, the night watchman got tired of not being able to sleep (on the job) and actually hung the dogs with a rope. He was caught and there were protests.

I clearly and without hesitation do NOT blame the dog owner for what happened, it was the actions of a sick criminal who should be, and is, in jail.

However, It is not that way in my block. I had 3 neighbors who would let their dogs bark day and night for hours at a time, often waking me or keeping me awake.

I spoke to them, offered them the names of good trainers and explained to them that I loved dogs, agreed they have the right to dogs, but also had an obligation to let the neighbors live in peace. That dogs should protect a house in case of intruder, but not bark constantly.

2 of the neighbors were very kind and worked to train their dogs or keep them in more often. The third told me to F off. Since I am a great dog lover, I tried a few more times with that neighbor, getting 2 other neighbors to voice their concerns as well, but he would not budge. In the end, I had not choice but to file a noise complaint with the local police and municipality and called the police 14 times in 3 months until the fines forced the owner to give his dogs to someone who lived in the country. The dogs are happy, the owner hates me, but you know...I can sleep at night.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:48 pm

My view is People talk, Dogs bark :-). My Neighbor used to throw parties on the weekend, I could hear the music almost as it was coming from my stereo :-) and this went on until almost morning (this was near LArco MAR - tourist area to boot).

IMHO: My only peave is when dog are allow to run about the neighborhood, also owner who have a long leases and allow the dog to sniff you or even jump up on kids.

I have lived in Chiclayo where ducks quack, roosters call, cats fight and dogs bark. Never bothered me a bit. I do not own pets for the simple fact that is see so many in the streets not cared for. I am a believer that you have to let an animal do what is natural. I think it is very cruel to poison an animal and also cruel to have a large dog confined in a small apartment, with no place to run.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 am

As someone who has four dogs (all were rescued by us), I can say that I would rather have the police focus on catching those who murder people first. That being said, I understand your point Euroman. Anytime someone ceases life, regardless of the "value" that our society puts on it, it is very sad.

On Friday, afternoon, two blocks from where I live, they murdered a businessman at 3 p.m.in the afternoon in San Isidro. Scary to be honest.

http://elcomercio.pe/noticia/641322/vel ... ado-marcas
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 am

american_in_lima wrote:On Friday, afternoon, two blocks from where I live, they murdered a businessman at 3 p.m.in the afternoon in San Isidro. Scary to be honest.

Yeah, that whole "marcas" thing has become a new way for newspapers to scare people and increase sales. In this case, the guy was a well-known business man who withdrew a large sum of money from his bank account for the trip of his daughter (afaik). These people already have a bulls-eye painted on their backs, so why in Earth getting the money at that precise moment? Why not at the airport? Why not use a credit or debit card? Why not transfer the money to the foreign bank account of the daughter?

In addition I would say, let Peru have only one official currency and give people and companies the incentive to do more on-line transactions. Get the cash of the street and it'll be a lot safer.
Alejandro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alejandro » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Probably not this case, but, many people keep their money on the "parallel market" in order to avoid SUNAT control, this forces them to carry huge amounts of cash thus turning themselves into criminal targets.

I remember reading a report which mentioned that according to SUNAT only 45%-50% of IGV (sales tax) is registered, if that approximation was correct, then we can assume that parallel market is the same size of the formal market.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:01 am

Remigius wrote:
american_in_lima wrote:On Friday, afternoon, two blocks from where I live, they murdered a businessman at 3 p.m.in the afternoon in San Isidro. Scary to be honest.

Yeah, that whole "marcas" thing has become a new way for newspapers to scare people and increase sales.

Not sure I agree with you on that one. The guy died.The fact they "marked" him, actually happened. In the case of the little girl Romina and her grandfather, there is actually video of them being "marked" at the money exchange site. Doesn't seem to me like the newspapers are writing those things to increase sales but rather accurate reporting.

On another point that you made about getting the cash off the street, I totally agree. I have never had $10,000 cash on me in my life. When the amounts get higher then need to be, I make bank transfers, use bank money order or use my debit card. I had the same policy in the states.
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 pm

american_in_lima wrote:Not sure I agree with you on that one. The guy died.The fact they "marked" him, actually happened. In the case of the little girl Romina and her grandfather, there is actually video of them being "marked" at the money exchange site. Doesn't seem to me like the newspapers are writing those things to increase sales but rather accurate reporting.

I don't deny that people are "marked", but when El Comercio puts as sub title "We people of Lima are unprotected", then this fear is spread as if we all are sitting ducks. This is not true for the vast majority of us. However, if you are a money exchanger (like the grandfather of Romina) or any other individual who walks around with too much money (the entrepreneur), then you do not only put yourself at risk, but also the ones you love (in both cases previously mentioned). In the end, bad news sells better than good news.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:41 pm

We still want to find out who killed the dogs.

The dogs killed were quiet dogs who didn´t hassle people.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

euroman wrote:We still want to find out who killed the dogs.

The dogs killed were quiet dogs who didn´t hassle people.

You could stroll through the neighbourhood to find traces of poison (most likely food debris). I'm sure the poison was meant to get rid of rats and that somehow, either directly or indirectly, it also killed the dogs. My wife's uncle had a dog that died in similar fashion. One day the dog found a dead pigeon and ate it. It happened that the bird had died due to rat poison that some people put in food leftovers and leave outside as bait for rodents (pigeons eat anything -- they call them "rats of the sky"), therefore the dog got poisoned as well.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I am going to guess it was coincidental poisoning. Our neighbor was trying to kill rats and ended up killing off at least 4 cats. Ours being one of them and another that died in our yard. We use traps and put them where cats and dogs can't get at them, but the rats are sure to go.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Another thing to keep in mind - a lot of people say their dog has been poisoned when they don't really have any proof it was poisoned. Dogs that are out roaming free get into garbage and can ingest all sorts of harmful things - including bones which shred their esophagus, stomach and intestines and cause symptoms that look similar to poisoning. Parasites will also cause symptoms that look similar to poisoning.
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Out Pomeranian has become a rat killer. Thank goodness! He also likes to eat the fat pigeon/dove birds....

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register